U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 PM

4,281 posts, read 7,279,215 times

Advertisements

KAMAZ!!!!!! KAMA3!!!!!!

Kamaz - Google Search
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 PM

4,637 posts, read 4,747,119 times
If worldwide parts availability is the thing, get a M1 Halftrack. They used our halftracks in almost every country. And they have a 300 mile or so range on a full tank of gas.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 AM

2,599 posts, read 4,058,025 times
Alright...some of y'all are getting out of hand...

I still appreciate the suggestions though.

I'm sorta warming up to the Tacoma and the Hilux is a really sharp looking truck. Does any one know if they come in left-hand drive(that's what we have in the U.S. right? The steering wheel on the left?). I'm almost tempted to wait and see if I can get a diesel Hilux but I wonder how much of a pain it'd be to import it into the U.S. when I come back(and I will be stationed in the U.S. again eventually).

Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 AM

8,088 posts, read 8,739,608 times
I have been around and think you just need to go with the flow of what is available locally wherever you are.

I had to drive a Tico in Peru. You will not find that in the USA.

Just go with it. Take plenty condoms.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-10-2012 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 10:40 AM

10,135 posts, read 25,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

I'm sorta warming up to the Tacoma and the Hilux is a really sharp looking truck. Does any one know if they come in left-hand drive(that's what we have in the U.S. right? The steering wheel on the left?). I'm almost tempted to wait and see if I can get a diesel Hilux but I wonder how much of a pain it'd be to import it into the U.S. when I come back(and I will be stationed in the U.S. again eventually).

You can't get hardly anything interesting imported into the US. The Nazi DOT determines what we need by way of cars and trucks and you have to like it.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:17 AM

14,781 posts, read 39,680,749 times
Quote:

Pretty much what Wilson said. You pretty much aren't getting anything back in to the country from overseas and there are quite a few restrictions about what you can bring into other countries as well.

Honestly, if you are the least bit serious with this, you are MUCH better off buying something locally for cash on the cheap wherever you end up and then selling it when you leave then you are trying to ship a car all over the world. Were you seriously contemplating shipping a Tacoma from the US to say Liberia or some other place just to have something to drive around in?

Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 AM

38,871 posts, read 22,778,623 times
Default Best All-around, around-the-world vehicle

If it were me and I was going to spend a lot of time on rough 3rd world roads, I'd want either a 4 cylinder Toyota 4WD pickup or a Toyota Landcruiser. If I needed to keep a lot of gear secure inside the vehicle, it would have to be the Landcruiser. If I was more concerned about fuel mileage, I'd go with the pickup. Toyotas are sold in eevry corner of the world and that means service/parts are more widely available.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 AM

10,135 posts, read 25,278,915 times
I put my Toyota 4x4 PU 22RE up there as number 1 because I can probably find a cylinder head for it in Corso Bolivia or Latur India. And, it gets 35+mpg, and with the wiinch on the front of it, can drag itself out of just about any trouble. With the bed loaded down it is pretty effective off road. Not a Unimog, but it will get you there.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:13 PM

2,599 posts, read 4,058,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Pretty much what Wilson said. You pretty much aren't getting anything back in to the country from overseas and there are quite a few restrictions about what you can bring into other countries as well.

Honestly, if you are the least bit serious with this, you are MUCH better off buying something locally for cash on the cheap wherever you end up and then selling it when you leave then you are trying to ship a car all over the world. Were you seriously contemplating shipping a Tacoma from the US to say Liberia or some other place just to have something to drive around in?
The thing is, I'm not going to be paying for the shipping and I'll probably be staying at the places I'm going for at least a year, maybe up to 3 or 4. If I were having to pay for shipping myself then sure, I'd probably lean towards what you are suggesting. Add the fact that I still have about 2 years of stateside and I'm kinda ready for something else. I'm just looking to get some ideas and think ahead. I sorta want to be prepared in case I don't get sent to Germany or Japan or somewhere with roads equal to or better than the U.S.

I'm looking for something I wouldn't mind holding onto for a few years. Odds are I'm going to do most of my driving in major cities(with decent infrastructure, I assume) but I want something that can handle whatever I may run up against(short of an M1 halftrack).

Old 02-10-2012, 12:23 PM

14,781 posts, read 39,680,749 times
Quote:
The thing is, I'm not going to be paying for the shipping and I'll probably be staying at the places I'm going for at least a year, maybe up to 3 or 4. If I were having to pay for shipping myself then sure, I'd probably lean towards what you are suggesting. Add the fact that I still have about 2 years of stateside and I'm kinda ready for something else. I'm just looking to get some ideas and think ahead. I sorta want to be prepared in case I don't get sent to Germany or Japan or somewhere with roads equal to or better than the U.S.

I'm looking for something I wouldn't mind holding onto for a few years. Odds are I'm going to do most of my driving in major cities(with decent infrastructure, I assume) but I want something that can handle whatever I may run up against(short of an M1 halftrack).
I'm just curious...what job are you taking that has such a variety of locales that you could end up in, but then also pays for shipping your vehicle all of these places vs. simply providing you with a company car in whatever country you end up in?

Overall, the oft-mentioned Toyota pickup, is the best choice when you can end up in various world locales and may need parts and service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive