U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM

2,599 posts, read 4,061,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'm just curious...what job are you taking that has such a variety of locales that you could end up in, but then also pays for shipping your vehicle all of these places vs. simply providing you with a company car in whatever country you end up in?

Overall, the oft-mentioned Toyota pickup, is the best choice when you can end up in various world locales and may need parts and service.
I'm going to be working for my "Uncle."

Yep, seems like I can't go wrong with the Toyota. I've kinda wanted one for a while.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 12:54 PM

14,781 posts, read 39,732,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

Yep, seems like I can't go wrong with the Toyota. I've kinda wanted one for a while.
IDK, I'd be a little pissed if my "Uncle" gave me a job that involved travelling the world while schlepping some beat ass Toyota along so I'd have something to drive. Tell your "Uncle" to pony up and provide a company car...I hear he is deep pockets.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:59 PM

10,135 posts, read 25,303,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

Since you may have it loaded to the gills and it will probably be an extended cab, I think I would opt for the 6 cylinder even though you will give up some gas mileage. I love my classic 22RE, but it could use a little more power when the rig is loaded.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:21 PM

2,599 posts, read 4,061,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
IDK, I'd be a little pissed if my "Uncle" gave me a job that involved travelling the world while schlepping some beat ass Toyota along so I'd have something to drive. Tell your "Uncle" to pony up and provide a company car...I hear he is deep pockets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Since you may have it loaded to the gills and it will probably be an extended cab, I think I would opt for the 6 cylinder even though you will give up some gas mileage. I love my classic 22RE, but it could use a little more power when the rig is loaded.
Heh, NJGOAT...problem is "Unc" has a lot of other nephews and nieces to take care of.

I'm gonna look more into it Wilson. A lot of what I'm doing is window shopping right now but I already think a Tacoma may be my best choice. I do have a few more concerns though. I've never had much experience driving in snow and I've never really been much into off-roading so I'm looking at the 4x4 and wondering if there's much more of a hassle in owning one. I'm pretty ignorant about it all honestly. And I know you recommended the V6 but I don't think I'll be towing all that often. You have any opinion on the 4 cylinder 4X4?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:02 AM

595 posts, read 1,063,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Agreede on the H-1 Hummer is the best all around truck you can get seeing as they in use in some of the worse places in the world with some of the worse roads you can drive on and can take tons of hard use.

The Best Of Illegal Wheeling - YouTube
Didn't they quit making that hunk of iron!!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:05 AM

44,255 posts, read 58,593,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I would look at a Toyota Land Cruiser, as they are more reliable than the Land Rovers, and Toyota has worldwide reach. A Hummer can be a little more of a challenge to have repaired when you are in some areas that do not have readily available parts. The downside is that you cannot get a diesel in the US, so you would be limited to the V8 models which are not terribly fuel efficient.
I agree. Both Jeeps and Land Rovers are nice in terms of capability but horrible in terms of reliability.

Land Cruiser, baby. An older one.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 AM

42,661 posts, read 80,283,581 times
Go to YouTube and search for street videos from third world countries, and see what people are driving there. Use keyword /taxi/. In most of those countries, non-urban public transport is regular cars that carry paying passengers, and depart when all 5 seats are filled. Look and see what those drivers are using.

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiGEV_hvrNQ

Car repairing is very cheap, in terms of labor cost, in the third world, but parts can be expensive. As a consequence, mechanics are very skilled at repairing old parts instead of replacing with new, and inventing workarounds. For example, it is much cheaper to rebuild an alternator on the bench than to bring one in through customs. An African body man can take a car out of a crusher and make it look brand new, for a couple of dollars a day labor rate.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-13-2012 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive