U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:43 AM

392 posts, read 1,421,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
It STARTED back in the '50s, which changing out hupcaps for different model ones on custom cars, or swapping out stock wheels for chrome and/or magnesium whels on hot rods, and it's been with us ever since.
Whitewalls were added in the early days to make the diameter look bigger, modern wheels take up that same space that the wheel/whitewall combo took:
One of the recent trends, within the past decade, is to design the entire vehicle around the wheels. Wheel wells are bigger, fenders are much smaller, and the vehicle lines draw the eyes to the wheels. If you don't fill that wheel well space with a 20" wheel, the car will look strange because it will detract from the overall big wheel design.

Many modders used larger wheels/tires than the car was designed for, which accentuates the visual impact of the mod.

Personally, I prefer cars that are designed to de-emphasize the wheels.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:49 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 16,589,888 times
The funny thing about wheels on new cars. No matter how nice or good looking they are, many people just have to change them to something different. I don't care if the car came with custom BBS three piece race wheels, some people would replace them with different wheels.
I happen to like the wheels that came with the Brembo package on my 2012 Mustang. I don't care that hundreds of other Mustangs have the same wheels. I like them and am keeping them.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:56 AM

780 posts, read 2,561,377 times
Quote:
Agreed. This is the set I'm putting on my Mustang:
I actually like that style; too bad those have very little lateral clearance to clear the Brembo calipers on mine.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:47 AM

29,482 posts, read 71,217,700 times
Quote:
I can't answer the latter, but seriously, are you that ignorant? It STARTED back in the '50s, which changing out hupcaps for different model ones on custom cars, or swapping out stock wheels for chrome and/or magnesium whels on hot rods, and it's been with us ever since. Trends have come and gone, but chrome bling wheels have been with us forever.

Whitewalls were added in the early days to make the diameter look bigger, modern wheels take up that same space that the wheel/whitewall combo took:

Modern sizes are a bit bigger, but the idea is exactly the same: shiny jewelry for your car.
I may be gnorant, but at least I can tell that those pictures are not the wheels that came on the car. Did you really think that those pictures were manufacturer wheels? (perhaps you are a kid and it is excusable). Despite my ignorance, I can also tell that manufacturers were not generally using wheels that overwhelmed the design of the car in the 50s, nor in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s. tis is a recent occurrance. I did not really notice it until they started putting out 2012 and 2013 models on display.

Nasty name calling is not a good idea when coupled with an utterly absurd assumption (i.e. that those cars came with the wheels depicted).

People have been ruining the look of their cars for decades with after market modifications. Absurd tails, hood scoops that do nothing, spinner wheels, all kinds of nutty things. That is not surprising. Kids will be kids. I once saw a WRX with a giant assembly on the roof (unclear whether it was suppoed to be an air scoop or some sort of airfoil, but it could not possible do anthing at all other than look absurd) as well as a huge tail thingy that looked like a bunch of post office boxes with no doors on them. Dumbest looking car I can remember seeing (funny thing was the guy that got out of it was at elast 30 years old. Maybe he borrowed his little brother's car).

However I am referring to recent practices by manufacturers.

What i find really odd is the off road vehicles and work trucks with blingy wheels.

My wifes van came with some kind of crappy blingy chrome wheels and we had to replace them all. They tend to corrode at the rim and cause rim leaks. They are not plastic. I am not sure what they are made of, but it is the chrome bubbling up that creates the rim leaks.

Personally I think that a car should look good on its own and the wheels should compliment the desing, not clash.

The new look reminds me a bit of a Las Vegas Hotel. Kitsch, bling and no class. IF they are designing the cars around the wheels they are not doing a good job, in man cases, the wheels look like they do not belong on the car.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:56 AM

568 posts, read 2,173,740 times
I do believe that wheels can make or break a car. You can have a bland, ordinary car that nobody will ever look at, but if you put the right set of wheels on it, your boring car will turn heads. But, it cannot be just any set of wheels off the wall at the local tire store. Some thought has to be put into it. The right style, size, offset and even tire size all need to be considered.

There are some terrible aftermarket wheel designers out there these days. When it comes to wheel shopping, for me at least, it takes a lot of sorting through all the trash to find that just right wheel.

For my tastes you really can't beat the look of a nice, clean 5-spoke wheel. I really like the looks of the Boss 338 that Merc63 posted. I also really like the Boss 335. I put some Boyd Coddington Haze wheels on my truck nearly a decade ago and still love them to this day.

Bigger does not always mean better either. I often like bigger than stock, but there is a limit. When I bought my first set of BIG wheels for my '91 GMC, they were 17s. Back then, 17s were big and 20s were absolutely HUGE. I decided I wanted a change a few years later and wanted to go bigger. I felt that 20s all around were just too big for me, so I went with 19s in the front and 20s in the rear. I've changed a bit and could live with 20s all around now, but I still like my 19/20 combo and I still love my wheel design. My '98 Suburban is a daily driver and though I wouldn't mind some 18s or even 20s, my tight budget these days had me instead install a different set of factory 15" wheels. They're not stock, but they still look good and I'm satisfied. My '04 Cadillac CTS has the factory 17" 7-spoke wheels. They're good looking wheels and the size is about right, but I sure wouldn't mind getting my hands on a set of the factory 18" 10-spoke wheels that came on the CTS Sport, but I would never go any larger than 18s on the car.

Ever since the first guy decided that the wheels on his car weren't good enough and swapped them out with something else, wheels have been an integral part of a car's style. They are pieces of jewelry for a car and just like people have different tastes in jewelry, people also have different tastes in wheels. From big and flashy to small and subtle and everything in between. It all comes down to the tastes of the owner. If the owner is happy with them, whether or not someone else thinks they're ugly and gaudy, then that's all that matters.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:59 AM

29,482 posts, read 71,217,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badgmc View Post
I do believe that wheels can make or break a car. You can have a bland, ordinary car that nobody will ever look at, but if you put the right set of wheels on it, your boring car will turn heads. But, it cannot be just any set of wheels off the wall at the local tire store. Some thought has to be put into it. The right style, size, offset and even tire size all need to be considered.

There are some terrible aftermarket wheel designers out there these days. When it comes to wheel shopping, for me at least, it takes a lot of sorting through all the trash to find that just right wheel.

For my tastes you really can't beat the look of a nice, clean 5-spoke wheel. I really like the looks of the Boss 338 that Merc63 posted. I also really like the Boss 335. I put some Boyd Coddington Haze wheels on my truck nearly a decade ago and still love them to this day.

Bigger does not always mean better either. I often like bigger than stock, but there is a limit. When I bought my first set of BIG wheels for my '91 GMC, they were 17s. Back then, 17s were big and 20s were absolutely HUGE. I decided I wanted a change a few years later and wanted to go bigger. I felt that 20s all around were just too big for me, so I went with 19s in the front and 20s in the rear. I've changed a bit and could live with 20s all around now, but I still like my 19/20 combo and I still love my wheel design. My '98 Suburban is a daily driver and though I wouldn't mind some 18s or even 20s, my tight budget these days had me instead install a different set of factory 15" wheels. They're not stock, but they still look good and I'm satisfied. My '04 Cadillac CTS has the factory 17" 7-spoke wheels. They're good looking wheels and the size is about right, but I sure wouldn't mind getting my hands on a set of the factory 18" 10-spoke wheels that came on the CTS Sport, but I would never go any larger than 18s on the car.

Ever since the first guy decided that the wheels on his car weren't good enough and swapped them out with something else, wheels have been an integral part of a car's style. They are pieces of jewelry for a car and just like people have different tastes in jewelry, people also have different tastes in wheels. From big and flashy to small and subtle and everything in between. It all comes down to the tastes of the owner. If the owner is happy with them, whether or not someone else thinks they're ugly and gaudy, then that's all that matters.
This is true. An like gaudy jewlry that ends up making someone look absurd, many people put ridiculous wheels and other sthings ont heir cars that make the cars look ridiculous. But why are manufactureers now doing this? Maybe they are just selling to a specific crowd, but if the people who like to make their car look silly just replace the wheels anyway, why not choose wheels that compliment the design?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This is true. An like gaudy jewlry that ends up making someone look absurd, many people put ridiculous wheels and other sthings ont heir cars that make the cars look ridiculous. But why are manufactureers now doing this?
I think most of the more up-model factory wheels on cars these days look good, but there are a few that are pushing the line of taking it too far. Maybe the OEMs just see what sort of stuff is popular in the aftermarket wheel world and are trying to get a piece of the pie and add some more flash.

Quote:
Maybe they are just selling to a specific crowd, but if the people who like to make their car look silly just replace the wheels anyway, why not choose wheels that compliment the design?
Because that would require too much thought. They don't think about whether that big, shiny wheel hanging on the wall would look good on their car. They just see that big, shiny wheel and want it on their car. They just want something different and don't care whether or not it compliments their car or overshadows their car. But then, their tastes are likely such that they think it does compliment their car.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:51 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,836,210 times
I agree on the cleanly designed 5-spoke wheel (on 5-lug vehicles). I think 6-lug vehicles look best with 6-spoke wheels, but that is simply a perception and symmetry thing for me. In fact, the new 2012 Grand Cherokee is probably one of the only vehicles I have purchased where I don't feel the need to swap out the wheels. IMHO, Jeep got these 20" OEM wheels perfect.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
IMHO, Jeep got these 20" OEM wheels perfect.
I'll agree. I've admired the Jeeps with those wheels. They do look very nice.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:32 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,856,966 times
Nothin worse than a buy here-pay here Impala with bling, same for the 300. Ghetto fabulous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive