U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 PM

28,933 posts, read 69,035,878 times

Advertisements

Walking around the GM display downtairs, I noticed that when I look at the new cars they have on display, my eye is drawn to the wheels instead of to the car as a whole. I realized that all of the new offerings have really "blingy" (gaudy?) wheels on them This makes the wheels stand out more than the car and detract form the appearance of the car as a whole IMO.

This observation made me look around at newer cars in the parking garage and I see much of the same thing. You look at a car and see a pair of fancy shiney wheels with something sitting on top of it. They look out of balance because the wheels stand out too much. The corvette was one of the worst for this condition. Do people think that it looks good to have the wheels stand our and the most prominent feature of the car?

When did this start?

Why didn't I notice?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,782,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Walking around the GM display downtairs, I noticed that when I look at the new cars they have on display, my eye is drawn to the wheels instead of to the car as a whole. I realized that all of the new offerings have really "blingy" (gaudy?) wheels on them This makes the wheels stand out more than the car and detract form the appearance of the car as a whole IMO.

This observation made me look around at newer cars in the parking garage and I see much of the same thing. You look at a car and see a pair of fancy shiney wheels with something sitting on top of it. They look out of balance because the wheels stand out too much. The corvette was one of the worst for this condition. Do people think that it looks good to have the wheels stand our and the most prominent feature of the car?

When did this start?

Why didn't I notice?

IMO bling wheels started in California as a latino gang banger trend which was picked up by other Californians as a cool add to their rides.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:19 PM

14,781 posts, read 38,645,412 times
I think it started when one of the first things modders and hot rodders did was trash the factory wheels for something more interesting. Custom wheels is the most popular modification people do to cars, so designers took notice and started copying aftermarket designs and making more interesting (read larger, shinier, more intricate) wheels designs. Wheels are also one of the first things a lot of people notice about a car. Just consider it part of the modern design direction.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:20 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,731,458 times
We have custom wheels on every vehicle we own. I hate the blah styling of factory wheels... plus everybody has those!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:13 PM

17,513 posts, read 35,471,253 times
And sometimes they're not even real chrome, they're huge 20" plastic hubcaps.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:22 PM

11,787 posts, read 14,746,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
And sometimes they're not even real chrome, they're huge 20" plastic hubcaps.
Ahh yes, the chrome clad wheel. It is real chrome yes, but over a plastic wheel cover glued to an alloy wheel.

Changing the wheels is usually the first thing I do to my vehicles, or at the very least in the top five. I don't like chrome wheels, but I can understand why manufacturers use them. More people seem to like them then don't.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 PM

17,513 posts, read 35,471,253 times
A couple of years ago my grandparents bought a new Tahoe LTZ, I thought the wheels looked big so I leaned over to check the tire size, then my grandmother says "they're 20's".

<sigh> My granny is ballin' while I'm still ridin' on 16's. Sad.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:52 AM

780 posts, read 2,469,126 times
Nowadays (read: in my old age), I'm not so tight anymore about how my cars have to look like; I still have a general principle which can be loosely translated. Add the multiple cars I own, I can actually make a few of them to be visually loud. They are not daily driver (they also hibernate 6-7 months out of a year) and they need to be rarely in public sight. One particular car got wheels that were meant to solely turn heads; whether you want to dry hump the car or you want to puke upon the sight, it's none of my concern. Its only objective is to command attention, "LOOK AT ME".

When did it start ? Well, in general it's a recurring old trend; as for me, it started just about 3-4 years ago. Remember this cliche, "wheels make or break the car". Does a certain set make or break the car ? It depends on perception.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:05 AM

5,229 posts, read 12,915,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When did this start?

Why didn't I notice?

I can't answer the latter, but seriously, are you that ignorant? It STARTED back in the '50s, which changing out hupcaps for different model ones on custom cars, or swapping out stock wheels for chrome and/or magnesium whels on hot rods, and it's been with us ever since. Trends have come and gone, but chrome bling wheels have been with us forever.

Whitewalls were added in the early days to make the diameter look bigger, modern wheels take up that same space that the wheel/whitewall combo took:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs545.snc3/29848_1456927950846_1462779111_31198507_685186_n.j pg (broken link)

Modern sizes are a bit bigger, but the idea is exactly the same: shiny jewelry for your car.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 AM

5,229 posts, read 12,915,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
Remember this cliche, "wheels make or break the car". Does a certain set make or break the car ? It depends on perception.
Agreed. This is the set I'm putting on my Mustang:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive