U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 03:32 PM

7,780 posts, read 19,590,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
I agree with that one. I was wondering where the valve adjustment maintenance went in the newer car models. I know for sure valves still need to be adjusted time to time.
There are no 'valves' in automatic trans that need adjusting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 05:20 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,761,493 times
To properly change the fluid in any automatic tranny is to do a COMPLETE drain and flush of the transmission AND the torque converter with a new filter and manufactured specified fluid going back up.

Do it any other way and you just wasted your money leaving lots of contaminates in the transmission. Penny wise and pound foolish........

WARNING! Not all shops have the tools to drain the torque converter so make sure the shop you choose does.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 PM

16,414 posts, read 19,834,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Another example of failure to list required maintenance is Honda's elimination of valve lash adjustment from the maintenance schedule. Or--in the case of Toyota, stating that the valve lash only needs to be adjusted if the valves are noisy. Hogwash!

Quote:
I agree with that one. I was wondering where the valve adjustment maintenance went in the newer car models. I know for sure valves still need to be adjusted time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
There are no 'valves' in automatic trans that need adjusting.

Frank

If you re-read my post, you should figure out that I was referring to the engine's intake and exhaust valves, NOT to anything involved with the transmission.
And, while I can't really speak for sequoias, I believe that he was also referring to the engine's valves, and not to anything regarding the transmission.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:02 PM

10,189 posts, read 9,000,624 times
Grandpa. I'm sure that's always the "recommended best" by the "experts", but I have a friend that is a very reputable mechanic with over 30 years experience, and he says don't touch it, as does the owner of a very rebutable transmission shop. Neither one can make a dime off that recommendation, therefore I put a lot of weight behind it. But it goes totally against the grain. That doesn't mean their advice is wrong. I've learned that much of what is called "common knowledge" is actually wrong. So I've learned not to discard advice, just because it goes against the grain.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:21 PM

414 posts, read 1,053,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperManGuy View Post
The recommended date to change my Civic's transmission fluids is something like every 3 years. I didn't change my until 6 years. Do you guys think some damage has been done already?
What year is your Honda Civic? Mine is a 2000 model year and it needs to be changed every 30k miles, drain and fill that's it.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:23 PM

2,715 posts, read 10,341,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
To properly change the fluid in any automatic tranny is to do a COMPLETE drain and flush of the transmission AND the torque converter with a new filter and manufactured specified fluid going back up.

Do it any other way and you just wasted your money leaving lots of contaminates in the transmission. Penny wise and pound foolish........

WARNING! Not all shops have the tools to drain the torque converter so make sure the shop you choose does.
Wrong! Drain and fills are a fine way to do it, with a filter replacement and pan cleaning.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Frank

If you re-read my post, you should figure out that I was referring to the engine's intake and exhaust valves, NOT to anything involved with the transmission.
And, while I can't really speak for sequoias, I believe that he was also referring to the engine's valves, and not to anything regarding the transmission.
He was talking about engine valve train.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:49 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,761,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Wrong! Drain and fills are a fine way to do it, with a filter replacement and pan cleaning.
Pardon me but that's what I recommended only in more precise detail

Old 02-11-2012, 06:59 PM

166 posts, read 289,239 times
Quote:
What year is your Honda Civic? Mine is a 2000 model year and it needs to be changed every 30k miles, drain and fill that's it.
Mine is 2003. Yours is every 30K? No year/time mentioned?

Old 02-11-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperManGuy View Post
Mine is 2003. Yours is every 30K? No year/time mentioned?
I think every 2 years or 30k miles. Most americans drive about 15k miles a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive