U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 PM

18,098 posts, read 37,035,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Grandpa. I'm sure that's always the "recommended best" by the "experts", but I have a friend that is a very reputable mechanic with over 30 years experience, and he says don't touch it, as does the owner of a very rebutable transmission shop. Neither one can make a dime off that recommendation, therefore I put a lot of weight behind it. But it goes totally against the grain. That doesn't mean their advice is wrong. I've learned that much of what is called "common knowledge" is actually wrong. So I've learned not to discard advice, just because it goes against the grain.
People say that because in higher milaege transmissions sometimes metal particles and dirt are the only thing providing enough friction to make it work properly. In my opinion, if that's the only thing making it work then it's ready to fail anyways.

I would go ahead and change it if it were mine, and I'd make sure to use the newer synthetic Dexron VI fluid too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 AM

23,115 posts, read 13,685,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I think you're all right on. But what still bugs me, is why would GM, in their great wisdom, not recommend a fluid change until 100K? I would still love an answer to that one. Of course, I love mysteries. And if that's true, what other bogus maint. advice are the manufacturers giving us? Surely that's not the only bad advice out there??!!
I'm pretty sure that my 2005 Ford Explorer had a sealed transmission without a dipstick or anything. The maint schedule recommended 150,000 mile change but I think they actually have to take the case apart to change it. I traded that thing in in 2009 so no longer my problem.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:30 AM

7,780 posts, read 20,052,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Frank

If you re-read my post, you should figure out that I was referring to the engine's intake and exhaust valves, NOT to anything involved with the transmission.
And, while I can't really speak for sequoias, I believe that he was also referring to the engine's valves, and not to anything regarding the transmission.
oh Im sorry... I thought you meant the trans..

Old 02-12-2012, 07:34 AM

7,780 posts, read 20,052,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Wrong! Drain and fills are a fine way to do it, with a filter replacement and pan cleaning.
correct. Back in the old day there was a drain plug on some converters to drain them, now shops use equipment to flush an entire trans including the converter cause there are no more drain plugs on them .. Drain and fill is the next best way if done a few times over a few week period. The most important thing is to DO IT n a regular basic for a long trans service life

Old 02-12-2012, 09:50 AM

18,098 posts, read 37,035,611 times
T do a drain and fill easily, get yourself one of those vacuum pumps. I bought one and I love it! You simply stick the wand down the dipstick tube and vacuum the old fluid out, it's that easy.

Of course if you want to change the filter you will still need to remove the pan.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,386 posts, read 47,391,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
To properly change the fluid in any automatic tranny is to do a COMPLETE drain and flush of the transmission AND the torque converter with a new filter and manufactured specified fluid going back up.
WARNING... while this is true... I have heard of many more subsequent failures / issues doing this, than to do the drain and fill several times (which of course leaves some OLD fluid in the system).

First change examine your filter and magnets in pan. No metal / particles, then low risk of danger in your tranny fluid. Metals or particles in excess will indicate a significant problem.

I do the drain and fill 3-4 times, replenishing w/ synthetic fluid, with new filter , then every 50k on higher service, 100k on light service. I like to run a tranny temp gauge, as anything over 240F in the tranny means need for an immediate change. (thus I usually install a $100 auxiliary cooler for any application that is in heavy service).

I bet your 3500# Buick has 10 - 12 qt sump. It is probably good for 100k + with synthetic fluid. I have a 7500# VW motorhome that has a 4 qt sump, it is NO GOOD for longevity of fluid.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:31 PM

8,954 posts, read 19,164,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
WARNING... while this is true... I have heard of many more subsequent failures / issues doing this, than to do the drain and fill several times (which of course leaves some OLD fluid in the system).
Really? You base your opinion on hearsay not facts?

How much good will that do?

None that's how much.............

Boy, America's education system needs a LOT of work to help folks today.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,386 posts, read 47,391,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Really? You base your opinion on hearsay not facts? :
heard as in customers / auto technicians that have got to buy new transmission for having done such.

I have over 3 million miles on my 50 mpg fleet, and currently have over 15 vehicles in service (farm, business, trucking,,,) so think what you might, I'm doing fine, just trying to save the OP a toasted tranny due to a 'textbook' procedure. While I have many degrees, including ME, I don't always follow 'textbook' procedures. I try to save some mental room for listening to the experiences of others (and learning from their mistakes, as well as mine )

Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 PM

414 posts, read 1,073,269 times
From what I know, it depends on the car manufacturer recommendations on the transmission fluid changes. My Honda requires a drain and fill, that's it. The drain plug is a magnet where transmission metal shavings attracts to, you pull it out and scrape it off then do the rest and replace it with new gasket and all that. Transmission Fluid flush isn't recommended at all. I have no issues with it so far as long you follow the 30k mile invertals.

One strange thing about Saturn is that they don't have a transmission fluid dipstick. It's completely sealed which is ridiculous to me.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:27 PM

10,247 posts, read 9,402,877 times
Interestingly, I consulted with several friends this morning about their experience. These are all experienced men over 50 who have been through many vehicles. To a man, they all suggested I just leave it. Then if the tranny does go in the future, just get a remanufactured one from GM. thanks for all your advice, but the possibility of ruining the tranny by messing with it is too risky, and against the advice of two local mechanic friends with years of experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive