U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:49 AM

17,514 posts, read 35,479,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Interestingly, I consulted with several friends this morning about their experience. These are all experienced men over 50 who have been through many vehicles. To a man, they all suggested I just leave it. Then if the tranny does go in the future, just get a remanufactured one from GM. thanks for all your advice, but the possibility of ruining the tranny by messing with it is too risky, and against the advice of two local mechanic friends with years of experience.
But like I said, if changing the fluid is all it takes to "ruin" it, it's already toast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 AM

14,781 posts, read 38,651,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Interestingly, I consulted with several friends this morning about their experience. These are all experienced men over 50 who have been through many vehicles. To a man, they all suggested I just leave it. Then if the tranny does go in the future, just get a remanufactured one from GM. thanks for all your advice, but the possibility of ruining the tranny by messing with it is too risky, and against the advice of two local mechanic friends with years of experience.
The GM service manual for your car is a little vague and is divided into "short" and "long" trip recommendations, but then also has some services delineated as being for "severe conditions", which for GM would be high outside temperatures, dust, etc. Your car being in west Texas, would generally fall under what GM would say is "severe", so the trans should have been serviced at 50k miles.

http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...ck-Lesabre.pdf

Now, with that said, what to do now that it is technically overdue? The answer here is dependent on the type of service you are going to have performed.

What you do NOT want to do: Have the transmission "flushed" and refilled. The flushing can break contaminants loose and can ultimately cause a failure or greatly hasten one. In general, I never recommend flushes, but is doubly, tripley, important not to do one on a trans that is overdue for service. Also, most shops that offer flushing services tend to use generic ATF, which can also cause failures.

What you DO want to do: Drain the existing fluid from the transmission and replace the filter. Refill the transmission with the EXACT recommended fluid, which in your case is DEXRON-III ATF that is approved for the "H-specification". Do NOT use any other level DEXRON or different formulation ATF as they may cause a failure.

What might happen...

If the trans is already on the way out, the change may hasten its demise. If the trans is in decent shape, the change will help it last longer then simply not doing the change. So, consider it a bit of a dice role. If you don't change it, it will fail. If you do change it, it might fail sooner, but it was going to fail anyway.

If it was my car, I would change the fluid and filter using the exact factory recommended parts, totally avoiding anything with the word flush in it and see what happens.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive