Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:45 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times

Advertisements

As a manual driver I've NEVER left the car in Neutral when parked. It's always in 1st gear when parked with the brake pulled. I honestly don't think I've ever had a manual I've driven in Neutral for any length of time. I had a friend who gave me heart attacks by dropping his stick in the middle and coasting to a stop light or sign while braking. It always drove me nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 09:54 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I remember the days when we didn't have ANY of those "safety" switches.
We survived in spite of the lack.
How many here remember the Buicks with the starter switch mounted on the carburetor? To start the engine, you turned the key on and mashed the gas pedal to the floor. That's right, it started at full throttle (or WOT, as they say today)!

Old 09-02-2015, 09:56 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
As a manual driver I've NEVER left the car in Neutral when parked. It's always in 1st gear when parked with the brake pulled. I honestly don't think I've ever had a manual I've driven in Neutral for any length of time. I had a friend who gave me heart attacks by dropping his stick in the middle and coasting to a stop light or sign while braking. It always drove me nuts.
Nothing wrong with neutral coasting. Done right it can save a little fuel.

Although, neutral coasting in an automatic could damage the transmission.

Why did it concern you so much?

Last edited by wankel7; 09-02-2015 at 10:13 AM..

Old 09-02-2015, 10:00 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I lived on a hill, so whenever I parked my Mustang, I would pull the e-brake and set it in 1st or Reverse. I started doing this all the time to keep myself in the habit so now whenever I park a manual trans car, I set it in gear after engine off.

I used to neutral coast as well. No different than when an automatic transmission torque converter disengages allowing engine rpm to drop near idle while slowing

Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Where did you get this info?

When I attended drivers ed, they always taught us to park a manual by putting the trans in neutral and setting the parking brake.

Of course I prefer to just leave it in 1st or reverse.
I've always heard the opposite. You leave it in gear (either 1st or reverse) to distribute the load between the parking brake and trans and it gives you a safety net in the event of parking brake failure (in neutral it will simply roll away).

Old 09-03-2015, 08:00 PM

592 posts, read 502,147 times
Not sure coasting to a stop will save you a little gas. When you release the gas when in gear, the engine computer turns OFF the fuel supply since the wheels turning keep the engine turning...Coasting in neutral is just the same as being in idle, the engine is working by itself and therefore will use some gas. Coasting in neutral brings about safety issues and is illegal in some states.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:33 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Not sure coasting to a stop will save you a little gas. When you release the gas when in gear, the engine computer turns OFF the fuel supply since the wheels turning keep the engine turning...Coasting in neutral is just the same as being in idle, the engine is working by itself and therefore will use some gas. Coasting in neutral brings about safety issues and is illegal in some states.
However, neutral coasting will allow you to travel a longer distance. If the goal is to cover more distance than neutral coasting could yield savings.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Not sure coasting to a stop will save you a little gas. ... Coasting in neutral brings about safety issues and is illegal in some states.
I have never had a CAR with a 'clutch' safety switch, tho my 1970's tractor has one (probably a REALLY good thing for a diesel tractor... fire it up and crash through the barn...) Tho I hate trouble shooting it when tracing starter issues.

I probably have had 1-2 emergency brakes that have WORKED on my 50+ manual transmissions... I always park in Reverse (helical gear + counter shaft / lowest ratio).

I think Coasting in Neutral is illegal in ALL states (who bother to write it into law), tho I suspect they could still 'ticket' you for another 'related' infraction.

Diesels LOVE to coast in neutral (use NO GAS (Ick!) and minimal Fuel
If over 5 miles of downhill (Mtn passes), I turn OFF the engine when coasting and 'bump start' it as I drop back to 'road / average speed'. Vacuum brakes and power steering will be affected, but that is why you have 'muscles'(?) and helps to keep you awake and alert. It is GOOD idea to keep your vehicle with air brakes (compressor) RUNNING when coasting!

I have a 4 mile 'downhill' with 9% grade & switchbacks on my daily departure from home. Running in neutral helps build up a little engine temp for when I get to the highway. On my 16 miles to town... I average 60 mpg, but the UPHILL trip home 'adjusts' that average back to only 50mpg combined.

The Stude Diesel would have NEVER seen 100 mph without 'coasting' off Sherman Pass (daily) Only ONE ticket in 7 yrs for that , but it was a warning that I negotiated over "hauling a late arrival Movie reel..."(lucky)
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...lion-miles.jpg

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-03-2015 at 09:23 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 02:47 AM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
When I had my wrangler I could "drive" it with the starter. Came in handy when I ran out of gas about 100yds from the gas station. Just put it in gear and start cranking. Starter drove it right to the gas pump!

Old 09-04-2015, 02:59 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You can even use the starter to move the vehicle a short distance if you have battery but the vehicle won't start (but you also risk burning out the starter!)
You got it. Automakers don't want the liability that would result from accidentally lurching a vehicle forward (or backward) by cranking it while in gear with the clutch engaged.

Also, cranking the engine with the clutch disconnected places less strain on the starter that does cranking with the clutch engaged and the transmission in neutral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive