Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 PM

965 posts, read 4,500,024 times

Advertisements

I was reading a post on the Raleigh, NC, board where some folks in that area have experienced dead car batteries as a result of the high temperatures they've had. Got me to thinking about the lifespan of my present battery in my car.

My question: I bought a 3-year Sears Diehard on January 6, 2005 (this is the first time I've ever written down the purchase date and posted it on my bulletin board). Will my battery more than likely give up the ghost during the months of January-February 2008 - like clockwork? When the manufacturer states a particular time period, is it fairly accurate? My location is Reston, VA, so the winters are not what I would consider brutal.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 04:41 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,068 times
Temp changes are tough on batteries. High and low, they have an effect. No telling when it will go, but if you happen to start it one morning, and it seems to crank a lttle slow, get ready. I've been lucky, and my cars have always seemed to give me a little heads up that the battery was crashing. Die hard isn't a bad battery, but don't be surprised if you are shopping for one come the first of the year. If so, head on over to NAPA.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
It's the charge/discharge cycles that "wear out" a battery.

Extreme weather -- hot or cold -- creates stresses that affect the battery or the loads placed upon it. It wouldn't be uncommon for your battery to function normally, and then ... one hot day ... just about not start the car, or fail to do so at all.

The battery you have is an OK battery, and has the potential to last years past it's warranty period if it's not abused and your car is in good tune and condition so that the battery doesn't get cycled very much.

I've had numerous good quality batteries last many years in service past their warranty, and I've had others ... in the same vehicles ... not last through the warranty period. A lot depends upon the quality level that the manufacturer built into the battery at the time of production ... something which they always play with; it's a trade off between the costs of battery service life and warranty adjustment costs. (Tire manufacturers are into the same set of problems ....).

In the meantime, if your car is running well and the battery is doing what it's supposed to do, then keep on driving it. You can have it "load tested" at a shop if you want some peace of mind about it, but they can only test it's condition at the time in the shop. Next week ... could be different.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:27 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
High temperatures accelerate the normal deterioration of an automotive battery. Typically one in a cool climate lasts 30% longer than one in a hot climate. The warranty period is just an estimate to attract the consumer to buy a particular product and is in no way an accurate prediction of the life.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I can tell my battery is dying because my subwoofer periodically shuts off for lack of sufficient juice. Time to replace that puppy, pronto... but, the date on the sticker indicates it held out for 4 years.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:58 AM

965 posts, read 4,500,024 times
Many thanks to one and all for responding! I have a small business, work from home, and only deliver work to clients three times a week. I don't put any more than approximately 5000-5500 miles on the car per year, so I'll have to play it by ear. Maybe the battery will last til next summer. Again, thanks.

Last edited by virgo; 09-10-2007 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Forgot something.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Many thanks to one and all for responding! I have a small business, work from home, and only deliver work to clients three times a week. I don't put any more than approximately 5000-5500 miles on the car per year, so I'll have to play it by ear. Maybe the battery will last til next summer. Again, thanks.
Some last for what seems like forever. However, I hate dead batteries (who doesn't!) and because we live in some very high temp areas (Arizona), and because it seems that fate is being tempted after 2 years, I have made it a habit for a very long time to just put new batteries in every two years. I usually do it during normal servicing and it takes no extra time and gives us some additional piece of mind.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:25 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
hi, my battery is 5 years old, and I live in sunny florida. I had the honda in for an oil change, and had them check the battery, they said it was on its last legs. I than had them put anoter one in. my last honda the battery was also 5 years old, and was still there when i traded in the car.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:30 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Some last for what seems like forever. However, I hate dead batteries (who doesn't!) and because we live in some very high temp areas (Arizona), and because it seems that fate is being tempted after 2 years, I have made it a habit for a very long time to just put new batteries in every two years. I usually do it during normal servicing and it takes no extra time and gives us some additional piece of mind.
Why not just have a controlled load test done regularly instead of having the extra cost of buying a new one every 2 years?

Old 09-12-2007, 04:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Why not just have a controlled load test done regularly instead of having the extra cost of buying a new one every 2 years?
My piece of mind is worth the cost.

It's like tires, I usually put new tires on at around 30K miles -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive