Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 PM

18 posts, read 111,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
brethern it sounds like you're seeing a steam cloud of antifreeze. Does it fog up your windshield/hard to wipe off and have a sweet smell to it?
Ya, it smells like coolant and my windows fog up a little but I didn't know if it was smoke or steam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 05:17 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,775,959 times
If that's the case, then your heater core is leaking. You can either have it bypassed for now so it will stop steaming up the windows (you won't have any heat though) or you can have it fixed.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 AM

18 posts, read 111,646 times
I'm gonna most likely get it fixed because it is leaking coolant but I have yet to find where it is leaking too.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,780,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brethern3 View Post
I have a 2000 Ford Crown Victoria. Recently, the heat in my car has smelled like coolant and the windows fog up. I took it to a shop and the guy told me the heater core is leaking. He said it would be about $650-$700 to do it.

Does the price sound about right?
I had the same exact issue and was short on money, so I was able to bypass the heating core by attaching the rubber hoses to a short piece of copper pipe and ran without a heater core. Worked fine, but I didn't have any heat in the van that winter. A heater core is just a copper pipe that goes back and forth a few times and aluminum fins are attached to it. As the hot water from the engine flows through the core, air is blow passed it to give you heat. I later replaced the core myself, it was an easy job, but I had a Econoline Ford Van at the time, the core was under the dash, not behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive