Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 AM

29 posts, read 123,299 times

Advertisements

hey guys.

i just wanted to show you all my Muscle Car / Hot rod.

its a Late 80's Subaru XT6

2.7L Horizontally opposed Boxer 6
All Wheel Drive 5 Speed Manual Transmission

Race Video (Before Paint):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkN7QrlC67U

Paint Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlrOJKZ1aTQ

End Result (BFG's are on !)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiZEHlACH10&hd=1

What you guys think ?
Muscle or Hot Rod Potential ?

-RipJawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,302,694 times
It's a flat 6 Subaru. A cool car, and could be a lot of fun, but neither hot rod nor musclecar. Technically, while you can "hot rod" a lot of cars, a "hot rod" is a modified pre-1949 car, while a musclecar is a V8 powered intermediate or full size domestic car from the '60s/early '70s designed primarily for drag racing or circle track (which is why musclecars range from GTOs to Galaxie XL500s).

Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 AM

510 posts, read 2,207,806 times
Cool Scoobie - I wouldnt consider it a hot rod or a Muscle car though

Old 02-08-2011, 09:33 AM

29 posts, read 123,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
It's a flat 6 Subaru. A cool car, and could be a lot of fun, but neither hot rod nor muscle car. Technically, while you can "hot rod" a lot of cars, a "hot rod" is a modified pre-1949 car, while a muscle car is a V8 powered intermediate or full size domestic car from the '60s/early '70s designed primarily for drag racing or circle track (which is why muscle cars range from GTOs to Galaxie XL500s).
i looked up the definition of Muscle Car, Quoted " Small car big engine " which this is stock very small Subaru with a big 6 cylinder engine.

as for V8's Subaru doesn't make 8 cylinder Engines, once a 12 cylinder for a formula 1 car.

Could be allot of fun ? the car is a blast every time you get in it. lots of low end torque this boxer 6 puts out.

ER27 Specifications

Displacement: 2672
Bore: 92
Stroke: 67
Compression Ratio: 9.5:1
Valve-train:
SOHC
Horsepower: 145 bhp (108 kW; 147 PS) @ 5200 RPM
Torque: 156 lb·ft (212 N·m) @ 4000 RPM

i think of it as a muscle car, i would love to put in a EZ36 (256Hp) and a 6 speed manual, but i couldn't afford the transplant even if i did it my self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
Cool Scoobie - I wouldn't consider it a hot rod or a Muscle car though
I Do consider it since its a small car with a big engine.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,719,393 times
Sports coupe...yes. Muscle car...no. No offense, but a 2.7L H6 isn't nearly "big" enough to qualify as a big engine in a small car, especially when it's barely turning out 145hp. Fun, cool car, but I don't think anyone would consider it a muscle car.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,143,334 times
A lot of people don't even consider 302, 307, 327, 350, 351w to be muscle

Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,400,302 times
I think todays "hot roders" have a difference of opinion of what constitutes a hot rod compared to those who were around in the sixties seventies.
I can remembering seeing my first hot rod engine. It had finned aluminum heads and three two barrel carbs and a 3/4 cam It was most likely in a 47-48 Ford coupe. It probably went zero to sixty in 10 seconds and it was fast for the day.
Then we saw the advent of big block muscle in street cars which are now being replaced with small block muscle in street cars.
Used to be the only way to go fast was with cubic inches but now it is done with smaller cubes and electronics.

Yes times are changing and for some the definition of a hot rod/muscle car is a lot different.

Not gonna get into an argument over which is better because it really doesn't matter as long as guys keep playing with them and keeping the hobby alive.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:31 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,719,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I think todays "hot roders" have a difference of opinion of what constitutes a hot rod compared to those who were around in the sixties seventies.
I can remembering seeing my first hot rod engine. It had finned aluminum heads and three two barrel carbs and a 3/4 cam It was most likely in a 47-48 Ford coupe. It probably went zero to sixty in 10 seconds and it was fast for the day.
Then we saw the advent of big block muscle in street cars which are now being replaced with small block muscle in street cars.
Used to be the only way to go fast was with cubic inches but now it is done with smaller cubes and electronics.

Yes times are changing and for some the definition of a hot rod/muscle car is a lot different.

Not gonna get into an argument over which is better because it really doesn't matter as long as guys keep playing with them and keeping the hobby alive.
I agree with your line of reasoning. It isn't so much about the size of the engine, but the punch it packs. Taking it further, it's also what that punch is relative to other contemporary cars.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:43 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,891,262 times
2,7 l = 165 cubic inches. That is a minuscule engine.. Its a neat car but not even close to being refereed to as a musclecar..

Old 02-08-2011, 02:02 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,302,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I agree with your line of reasoning. It isn't so much about the size of the engine, but the punch it packs. Taking it further, it's also what that punch is relative to other contemporary cars.

Well, musclecar was a specific type of car. It can be argued that it began before the GTO, with the advent of the Dodge D500 and the Chrysler 300 in the '50s, and went past the early '70s with the SD455 Trans Am and the Buick Grand National in the '80s, but...

It's a specific type of car that was built for drag racing and circle track back in the day. You can't use something like the Oxford dictionary or even Merriam Webster, as neither of those are automotive publications that use automotive definitions (they both tend to use definitions taken from context in literary works, so if some author used the term in a story, then how that author used it is the "definition" which holds no water in actual automotive circles).

Mercedes had V8s back in the day, but they were not musclecars. Musclecars were a specific domestic phenomenon, regardless of how quick modern sedans are. There's a reason the GTO was considered the genesis of muslcecars, and not the earlier V8 Falcon Sprints and V8 Chevy II SS models.

And hot rods, while the term hot rod as a verb can be used as a generic term for "modifying a car for more performance," Hot Rod as a noun is a specific kind of car, as well. The term was invented FOR a specific kind of car. Any other use (even me occasionally calling my BMW a "gentleman's hot rod") is strictly tongue in cheeck and not an actual category.

Diluting the language just to make ourselves feel good about the car we currently are applying it to is doing no one any favors. If the terms can mean ANYTHING, then they end up meaning nothing.

Cars in every category have gotten faster over the years. Doesn't mean the categories have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive