Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 AM

191 posts, read 945,825 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I have a 2005 Ford Focus SE hatchback that needs major repairs. Last week the transmission was acting funny so I took it into the shop. They said the transmission needed to be replaced with a refurbished model and quoted me $3500. I'm out of warranty, so this will come out of pocket.

I had been thinking of purchasing a new car soon anyway and since my car is in need of major repairs I kind of feel like now is the time.

So, how should I handle selling my Focus? I obviously don't think it's worth doing the repair as KBB says that my car, in "Fair" condition is only worth $4,100.

"Fair:
18% of all cars we value meet this criteria. This car has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing, but is still in safe running condition and has a clean title history. The paint, body and/or interior may need professional servicing. The tires may need replacing and there may be some repairable rust damage."

Should I try to sell it to the Ford dealership I took it to get it looked at? Or should I try to trade it in at the Subaru dealership I intend on buying my new car at? How much do you think I could get for it since it's technically not drivable at this point until repairs are made?

Stats on the focus:
- 67,000 miles
- 2005, focus hatchback SE
- Some cosmetic defects (some scratches, wheels look a little rusted)
- The transmission failed previously in 2008, but was repaired under Ford's 5 year power train warranty at a Ford dealership (yes, this is the SECOND time it has failed!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 12:37 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
IF it's not drivable, then it's value drops drastically below any wholesale valuation, especially a "fair" condition level.

So you now get to make the choice: put money into this car or trade it for whatever nominal amount of money you can get for it.

You'll be spending the money either way. Which gets you closer to having the vehicle that you want to drive?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:38 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
$3500 to replace with a refurb transmission? That sounds a bit high ... is this a dealership?
And what is it doing exactly that makes it "technically not driveable"?

Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,336,338 times
Are you sure you don't have insurance on the repair work?

If they replaced it for instance, I would think the new unit had a 5 year warranty too.

Outside of that, if you think the car is only i fair condition, it's not going to be worth a whole lot when the repair is close to the price of the car.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,884,332 times
Does it drive? Take it to CarMax and see what they will give you for it. Take the money and run.

Or drive it into a lake and collect insurance.... wait wut?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Is the transmission the only problem you have with the car. other than the expected minor cosmetic issues?

First of all, get a second opinion. This isn't 1983, there are lots of relatively minor things that can be repaired on today's transmissions without having the whole thing rebuilt.

Even if the transmission is shot, putting a remanufactured transmission in a 7-year-old Focus would be foolish. You should be able to have a low-mileage used transmission with a reasonable warranty installed for under $1500.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:53 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,123 times
$1500 (maybe as much as $2000) is about what I was thinking as well. $3500 seems high.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Depends on what the transmission "problem" is. If it were me, with more than one driver in the household, I'd spend the next couple of weeks shopping seriously for a good replacement car, then keep the Focus and drive it as-is, as a second car for occasional use by another driver, and when it dies, ask around and see if there is somebody you could just give it to, who has the expertise to replace the transmission himself and save the labor cost. Who knows, you might get another year or two out of it before it becomes undriiveable.

That, of course, would be the second choice, after trying to see what you could get for it as trade-in value. But any dealer who would take it in trade would likely charge you a couple of thousand more than you'd pay for a comparable car in a private sale.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 PM

191 posts, read 945,825 times
To update, the car doesn't really drive. It goes from first to second, but can't switch from second to third. It just revs very, very high and sounds like it's dying. I'm not too technical with cars, so I don't know if this is the correct way to describe it.

It also lurches forward from first to second sometimes. The whole car shudders forward.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:10 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,035,276 times
You might be able to sell it as a "mechanic's special" to someone who is up to R&R'ing the transola himself.

Being that you are in the City of Brotherly Salt and Rust, this car may actually be a rough rusty old pig worth little more than scrap value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive