Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:14 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,015,410 times

Advertisements

When you are driving 45 mph in a 45 mph zone approaching an intersection that has a $revenue$ camera at the traffic light, you are being closely tailgated and the light is turning yellow for the 4.3 seconds- [hoping your municipality or the camera company didn't reduce the time to make more money] do you speed up thinking you'll beat the red, go through the red to get a fine notice in the mail or jam on the breaks hoping the person behind you will do the same, avoiding whiplash and $5000 damage to your vehicle?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:18 PM

600 posts, read 1,927,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
You are never going to teach someone a lesson by brake checking, tapping, stopping, slowing down considerably, etc. It's incredibly dumb and a good recipe to have that person pull right around and do the same thing to you. People have been shot and intentionally wrecked for doing stupid things like this. No one in the history of driving has been like "well I used to tailgate and then one day some guy brake checked me and hallelujah now I have seen the light!"

The best thing to do? Pull over and let them pass, and go on with your life. If it's on the highway move over into a righter lane at the first opportunity. If it's a two lane road put on your flashers and wave them by on a straight (if there are multiple cars in a line or in a city they just have to deal with it).

I disagree! Why should I let an idiot think he can drive the way he wants and pull over? He will do it again and again and and claim he's right.

Would you just let a bully hit your kids and run away or trying to stop him and make a change?

Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
I disagree! Why should I let an idiot think he can drive the way he wants and pull over? He will do it again and again and and claim he's right.

Would you just let a bully hit your kids and run away or trying to stop him and make a change?
Because if you do one of those things, he will still think he is right, but he will either get closer, flip you off, hit you, shoot you ofr pull in front of you block your car and get out and beat you. No matter what you do, he will still be an idiot and still think he cna drive the way he wants. Face it you are impotent to change him (or her seems like young women are the biggest instigators). Protect yourself. Calm down relax let him or her get away from you and end the threat. You cannot change them. You cannot stop them. You can only harm yourself.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:20 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,099,758 times
Summer, do what it is you already do. Drive the conditions that are safe. If you drive the same route everyday folks are starting to recognise you by now, and will pass more readily. I am like you, it unnerves me when ppl tailgate it is one of my pet peeves. I usually slow down, to the speed limit, slower if icy. I have been known to tap my brakes if it is a really persistent tailgater...which usually works. My hubby is deliberate, he slows way down.
Course, you could always get one of those bumper stickers made, something like. "I report tailgaters"... or something that might make folks want to get around you. Anyone else have ideas???

Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,727,254 times
I've been known to throw on the emergency flasher system, when tailgated. The guy behind me IS creating an emergency situation. For one thing, it alerts any law enforcement. It gets the attention of other drivers (witnesses). And it may alert the tailgater to the possibility that I'm maybe calling 911 (which I have been known to do, when I feel especially, exceptionally, threatened).

Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,432,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
You are never going to teach someone a lesson by brake checking, tapping, stopping, slowing down considerably, etc. It's incredibly dumb and a good recipe to have that person pull right around and do the same thing to you. People have been shot and intentionally wrecked for doing stupid things like this. No one in the history of driving has been like "well I used to tailgate and then one day some guy brake checked me and hallelujah now I have seen the light!"

The best thing to do? Pull over and let them pass, and go on with your life. If it's on the highway move over into a righter lane at the first opportunity. If it's a two lane road put on your flashers and wave them by on a straight (if there are multiple cars in a line or in a city they just have to deal with it).
The only time I'm going to move so someone can pass is if I'm in a left hand lane on a highway. I NEVER move over on a regular street.

If they want to go significantly above the speed limit on a regular road, then it's their responsibility to move and go around ME. I'm under no obligation to accommodate them.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,971,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
The only time I'm going to move so someone can pass is if I'm in a left hand lane on a highway. I NEVER move over on a regular street.

If they want to go significantly above the speed limit on a regular road, then it's their responsibility to move and go around ME. I'm under no obligation to accommodate them.
thumbs up on that one. While i may not drop my speed just to be a jerk about it, i also stay at the posted speed and if they dont like it they can deal with it.

I'll add that another tailgate issue on multi lane roads during rush hour is when you leave enough space behind the car in front of you to where you are comfortable following.... just to have someone sneak in there. So either one drives too close so others dont budge in and nearly cause accidents, or leave a safe space and watch others close that gap right up.
Maybe drivers should have to take an idiot test. Pass or fail on that determines if they can drive on public roads lol

Old 03-26-2012, 11:20 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,099,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I've been known to throw on the emergency flasher system, when tailgated. The guy behind me IS creating an emergency situation. For one thing, it alerts any law enforcement. It gets the attention of other drivers (witnesses). And it may alert the tailgater to the possibility that I'm maybe calling 911 (which I have been known to do, when I feel especially, exceptionally, threatened).
This is a good idea imo.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,432,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
thumbs up on that one. While i may not drop my speed just to be a jerk about it, i also stay at the posted speed and if they dont like it they can deal with it.

I'll add that another tailgate issue on multi lane roads during rush hour is when you leave enough space behind the car in front of you to where you are comfortable following.... just to have someone sneak in there. So either one drives too close so others dont budge in and nearly cause accidents, or leave a safe space and watch others close that gap right up.
Maybe drivers should have to take an idiot test. Pass or fail on that determines if they can drive on public roads lol
Happens to me quite a bit when I'm on the highway. And most of the time THEY BREAK when they do it.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,673,516 times
On a two-lane road, I once went 15 below when a female was tailgating me. I only went that far below because nobody else was behind her. When I sped up later on, she caught up and tailgated me again. It went on while she had turn off the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive