Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Since you are buying a new car, yu need to compare it to what else you can get, not to what you currently drive. Can you get an equal car ceaper that gets as go or near as good mileage? Then the Hybrid may not be worthwhile by comparison. However you have to compare cost of purchase, fuel, maintenance, insurance, rebates, registration. You also have to guess what gas prices and electricity prices will do. Too many of the studies factor in the cost of electricity as $0.

You cannot value subjective things like driving a car that you love or hate. Discomfort from driving a little car that you have to squeeze into. Frustration from trying to find the necessary controls or read the manual to find out how the darned thing works.

How do you value the frustration of repeatedly having to explain that you are not gay depsite the fact you drive a prius.

Cost of electricity..?? This thread is about hybrids, NOT electric cars..

Frustration on "how the thing works"..?? They are just cars. Steering wheel is in the normal place.. Brake and gas pedal as well... Foot on the brake, then Shift to "D" for drive... Yup.. Been the same for about a hundred years for now.. If you can't figure out how to "operate" a hybrid vehicle, you probally shouldn't be on the road to begin with...

And the only people who worry about being "called gay" are the ones that indeed are gay, but are "in the closet" about it. They should just get over their own self hate and other issues...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
NJGOAT,

Would you do me a favor and crunch the numbers for my A3 2.0T?
I'd like to see how it fits in with your other numbers using your same calculations.
I've been contemplating some of those same cars for my next purchase sometime down the road.

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
NJGOAT,

Would you do me a favor and crunch the numbers for my A3 2.0T?
I'd like to see how it fits in with your other numbers using your same calculations.
I've been contemplating some of those same cars for my next purchase sometime down the road.

Thanks!
Assuming you are talking about an A3 2.0T (gas) with the automatic and FWD...

Vehicle............Audi A3 2.0T
MSRP..............$27,270
MPG Hwy.........28
MPG Comb.......24
MPG City.........22
Fuel per Gal.....$3.98 (premium)

Gallons Used 1 Year for 15k Miles
Highway..........536
Combined........625
City................682

Fuel Cost 1 Year for 15k Miles
Highway..........$2,132
Combined........$2,487
City................$2,713

Fuel Cost 10 Years for 150k Miles
Highway..........$21,321
Combined........$24,875
City................$27,136

Total 10 Year Cost Vehicle + Fuel
Highway..........$48,591
Combined........$52,145
City................$54,406

Insurance.......$11,486
Maintenance...$6,054
Total.............$17,540

Add it all up....

Vehicle............Audi A3 2.0T
Highway..........$66,131
Combined........$69,685
City................$71,946

Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 AM

109 posts, read 194,671 times
Not a hybrid, as I know the thread is about them, but why do you want one???? MY 03' VW TDI (diesel) gets over 50mpg combined and I NEVER have to worry about batteries, electrical issues, etc....... You can get these best years 02-03 for under 10k and run them for over 500,000 miles+!!!! Just my .02.....

Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Assuming you are talking about an A3 2.0T (gas) with the automatic and FWD...
Woot! Thanks!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibusurfer View Post
Not a hybrid, as I know the thread is about them, but why do you want one???? MY 03' VW TDI (diesel) gets over 50mpg combined and I NEVER have to worry about batteries, electrical issues, etc....... You can get these best years 02-03 for under 10k and run them for over 500,000 miles+!!!! Just my .02.....
Not worrying about electrical issues in a VW!?? hahahaaa,.. Thats a good one...have you read the thread....?? plenty others encouraging diesel ownership.. Also with a great REAL cost analysis just a page before.. Don't forget about that diesel fuel also costing MUCH more.. And the increased maintenance because of the dirty nature of diesel..

Old 03-06-2012, 09:54 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibusurfer View Post
The used car bought at a discount is always going to be the cheaper alternative. Getting the car you recommend for $10k and assuming all else is the same, your used 2002/3 TDI would be the winner. However, if we then went out and bought a used Prius, etc. Comparos are hard to do with used cars unless you have two or more specific ones you are looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Not worrying about electrical issues in a VW!?? hahahaaa,.. Thats a good one...have you read the thread....?? plenty others encouraging diesel ownership.. Also with a great REAL cost analysis just a page before.. Don't forget about that diesel fuel also costing MUCH more.. And the increased maintenance because of the dirty nature of diesel..
I agree on the electrical issues part, lol.

I will say though, there is a marked difference in performance and reliability/maintenance cost of the older generation diesels that Malibusurfer recommended versus what you can currently buy. You would honestly be hard pressed to find a better total transportation bargain then one of those cars, mainly because it will literally run forever and can use so many different types of fuels.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The used car bought at a discount is always going to be the cheaper alternative. Getting the car you recommend for $10k and assuming all else is the same, your used 2002/3 TDI would be the winner. However, if we then went out and bought a used Prius, etc. Comparos are hard to do with used cars unless you have two or more specific ones you are looking at.

I agree on the electrical issues part, lol.

I will say though, there is a marked difference in performance and reliability/maintenance cost of the older generation diesels that Malibusurfer recommended versus what you can currently buy. You would honestly be hard pressed to find a better total transportation bargain then one of those cars, mainly because it will literally run forever and can use so many different types of fuels.
RIght on that.. Although another thing alot of people don't realize is the point I brought up about maintenance... The 'dirtiness" of burning diesel does a number on the intake and recirculation paths.. They need to be cleaned or replaced rather regularly compared to a gas/hybrid.. Either a dirty job for the owner, or a not very inexpensive one for the shop.. I too like diesels.. But I'm also open minded and like my WELL PERFORMING hybrids... The previous generation Camry and Fusion/MKZ hybrids that only performed to low to mid 30's MPG in real world driving...... not so much... I've been getting closer to 36-44 MPG in the NEW Camry hybrid though..and it actually drives GREAT!!. The chassis is soooo much better then the previous generation.... and the new "improved" Fusion/MKZ is supposedly on it's way..

Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
...The 'dirtiness" of burning diesel does a number on the intake and recirculation paths.. They need to be cleaned or replaced rather regularly compared to a gas/hybrid.. ...
There are several FREE to very cheap fixes to diesel EGR issues. (these will become more of a pain with 'scrubbers'). Running bio-d is one of the easiest fixes, after all, it is a solvent.... As far as frequency, I have several intakes running fine @ 300k+ But that is TOO frequent fix for me... I like something that goes 500k+ before anything major slows down your progress. I do hear war stories of folks only getting 150k on a clean intake. (probably 'grandma' that never heats up her engine) I have only cleaned a few Gas intakes, but usually the engine is pretty dead by 300k and plugging as bad as diesel.

My VW-d's (and older 2cycle Detroits) get driven hard an put away wet. They live longer that way.

Cost per mile on my $35 VW Diesel Rabbits is VERY lean. INCLUDING capital investment .

I found 4 more this week, all for under $300. These things are ultra cheap and simple to operate and maintain.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 PM

109 posts, read 194,671 times
Never had one electrical issue with my VW and we have put over 130,000 miles on it. All I've ever done to it was change oil regularly and fuel filter every year and a timing belt..... Best car we've ever had.... Working on getting 60 mpg with some tweaking on it..... Yeah, I pulled intake off and "burned" the old carbon out with a torch and air and she runs like new!!! Will do it again in 100k miles...
Dirty diesel??? Where do you get your diesel??? If we do have electrical issues, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be WAY WAY cheaper than fixing a Prius or replacing all those batteries!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive