Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 06:37 AM

792 posts, read 2,872,635 times

Advertisements

I'm changing the transmission fluid. Warnings about a flush are all over the place, so I'm going for a 3x drain and fill.

Then I got to thinking...
  • Do all three drain and fills in a day, with ten miles between each, or do one each weekend?
  • Drop the pan and change the filter at the first drain and fill, or wait until the last one?
  • Install an in-line transmission filter in the return line, or the OEM screen filter is really all you need?

Does any of this stuff matter? Experience with the in-line filters?

Current fluid is still red. Shifts are good while driving. 1998 Nissan Altima, 173,000. Thanks, everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 07:06 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Id change the filter first and the fluid once. If you have a few hours, id do the 3 changes a day but be warned, the fluid will be pretty hot by the third change. no need for an in line filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
I'm changing the transmission fluid. Warnings about a flush are all over the place, so I'm going for a 3x drain and fill.

• Do all three drain and fills in a day, with ten miles between each, or do one each weekend?
  • Drop the pan and change the filter at the first drain and fill, or wait until the last one?
  • Install an in-line transmission filter in the return line, or the OEM screen filter is really all you need?

Current fluid is still red. Shifts are good while driving. 1998 Nissan Altima, 173,000. Thanks, everybody.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:18 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
Quote:

Whatever for?

It's been said that a high mileage ATF flush/fluid change can possibly generate transmission issues.

Doing a fluid/filter change on regular intervals is considered better for the transmission.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:39 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Yeah, make sure you tell any one buying your car in the future you cheaped out on the flush. 80% of the fluid is in the torque converter. With regular on schedule maintenance a engine and transmission will go 300,000 miles these days. Shade tree cars much much less so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive