U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 AM
 
14,781 posts, read 41,222,801 times
Reputation: 14586

Advertisements

Given your list, I'd take the Volvo off as I don't think it fits with the character of the other cars. I'd also remove Saab do to the issues with the brand in general. I also don't think you are going to get a CPO car.

Probably your best overall bet is a 2006 E46 3-series. You'll be able to afford more car for your money and the last year of the E46 was very reliable vs. the early year E92's that you would be looking at in your budget from 2007/8.

The Audi A4's are going to be B7 models, you won't be able to swing the newer B8's and I would avoid the older B6's. On the A4 I would try and look for a 2007 as being the best compromise in value and reliability in that line.

The Infiniti's are actually rather pricey, mainly owing to the lower volume which makes them harder to find. You're pretty much going to be looking at G35 sedans. The 2007/8 is the same as the newer models, but sans the updated styling and still uses the 3.5L. These are probably the best choice, but you could also do well with a 2005/6 model, which was heavily updated from the earlier cars. They aren't as nice as the 2007/8, but are decent choices.

So, I would look for 2006 BMW 3-series, 2007+ Audi A4's and 2005-2008 Infiniti G35's. My wildcard recommendation is a Subaru Legacy GT. They are going to be hard to find without a ton of miles, but if you do find one, they are a steal. The regular 2.5i Legacy's from 2008-2009 should fit into your price range and they are solid choices you can pick up CPO. The older ones are a little smaller and lighter then the current 2010+ models and I feel are a little more sport whereas the 2010+ is a little more sedan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-29-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: O'Hara Twp.
4,359 posts, read 6,970,583 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Given your list, I'd take the Volvo off as I don't think it fits with the character of the other cars. I'd also remove Saab do to the issues with the brand in general. I also don't think you are going to get a CPO car.

Probably your best overall bet is a 2006 E46 3-series. You'll be able to afford more car for your money and the last year of the E46 was very reliable vs. the early year E92's that you would be looking at in your budget from 2007/8.

The Audi A4's are going to be B7 models, you won't be able to swing the newer B8's and I would avoid the older B6's. On the A4 I would try and look for a 2007 as being the best compromise in value and reliability in that line.

The Infiniti's are actually rather pricey, mainly owing to the lower volume which makes them harder to find. You're pretty much going to be looking at G35 sedans. The 2007/8 is the same as the newer models, but sans the updated styling and still uses the 3.5L. These are probably the best choice, but you could also do well with a 2005/6 model, which was heavily updated from the earlier cars. They aren't as nice as the 2007/8, but are decent choices.

So, I would look for 2006 BMW 3-series, 2007+ Audi A4's and 2005-2008 Infiniti G35's. My wildcard recommendation is a Subaru Legacy GT. They are going to be hard to find without a ton of miles, but if you do find one, they are a steal. The regular 2.5i Legacy's from 2008-2009 should fit into your price range and they are solid choices you can pick up CPO. The older ones are a little smaller and lighter then the current 2010+ models and I feel are a little more sport whereas the 2010+ is a little more sedan.
I have a 2005 Legacy GT and it is on its 3rd Turbo. $1900 repair. I don't think their turbos are the greatest so make sure that you are constantly check you oil. Low oil can kill the turbo. I agree that they are a great buy. I have heard that on trade mine is only worth about 5000-6000.

We are thinking about replacing the Subaru with a 2008 G35X.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 10:01 AM
 
9,336 posts, read 20,993,188 times
Reputation: 4544
If you get an 09 (or older) 9-3 Aero, GM is covering those warranties and parts will be available for 10 years. The v6 on the AEROs are sweet; I look once in a while for a AERO sportcombi as second vehicle. People I know that hve the cars love em and have had no worries with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
So my '03 325i is getting some miles on it and the maintenance costs is unfortunately starting to surpass a reasonable average monthly car payment. Time to upgrade!

Looking for a sport sedan or coupe around 20k, used.

So far I have:

3 series - another, I'd consider going BMW again, but I'm open to others.
Audi A4/S4 - mileage and reliability is still important to me
G35/G37 - probably the only japanese brand i'd go for
Saab - i loved the 9-3 Aero, but I think I'll stay away considering BK
Volvo s40 T5 - probably wont even compare to a 3 series, for old people?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 10:07 AM
 
14,781 posts, read 41,222,801 times
Reputation: 14586
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I have a 2005 Legacy GT and it is on its 3rd Turbo. $1900 repair. I don't think their turbos are the greatest so make sure that you are constantly check you oil. Low oil can kill the turbo. I agree that they are a great buy. I have heard that on trade mine is only worth about 5000-6000.

We are thinking about replacing the Subaru with a 2008 G35X.
There were some issues on the older turbo's pre-2007/8 that made them very sensitive to abuse and improper maintenance. A buddy of mine had one, chipped, custom exhaust, etc. and he raced it on a semi-regular basis. He basically considered it an, I'll upgrade the turbo when this one blows kind of thing. Of course, he was religious on maintaining the car and his had well over 70k and still going strong on the original turbo.

Depending on how many miles yours has, you're probably right on the trade in. A 2005 Legacy GT with 100k is worth around $9k retail. Go with a 2008 Limited with like 60k and they are in the $17k-$19k range. The issue is of course finding one as most people really hold onto those cars.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,719 posts, read 29,121,370 times
Reputation: 9259
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What about a Charger or Chrysler 300?
Big obese heavyweight cars?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,719 posts, read 29,121,370 times
Reputation: 9259
The Volvo doesn't belong in that list. The only thing it has in common is Europe. It is a FWD sedan with some commonality to Ford/Mazda.

For something different, I'd add the V6 TSX. High quality, reliability, and the V6 gives the car the oomph it deserves. Also the Lexus IS250/IS350 depending on how much power you want.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 PM
 
221 posts, read 420,338 times
Reputation: 90
Thanks for everyone's responses!

No American Cars, and no offense.

Yea, if I can find a 2006 E46 will low low miles, I'd go for it.

I like the 07 Audi A4, if I can find an S Line, I worry it will be slow.

I don't know much about the G35/G37 only that they pretty much saved Infiniti...

No Subaru either. I had a Legacy GT before my E46, would just like to try something else.

How about a used GTI? The new ones look great, but super expensive! And for a VW????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 04:30 PM
 
4,500 posts, read 11,510,738 times
Reputation: 2900
This might be a crazy question, but... You don't happen to live in Dallas/Plano do you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,135 posts, read 11,026,487 times
Reputation: 2479
Are you financing a $20k 5 year old car? Go lease a new one for the same payment ($400/mo) and get a new toy every 3 years...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 PM
 
221 posts, read 420,338 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
This might be a crazy question, but... You don't happen to live in Dallas/Plano do you?
Nope, never been to Texas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top