U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 PM

221 posts, read 420,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Are you financing a $20k 5 year old car? Go lease a new one for the same payment ($400/mo) and get a new toy every 3 years...
I'll probably only finance $5-8k of it. I've saved some cash.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 05:54 PM

4,472 posts, read 16,830,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
Thanks for everyone's responses!

No American Cars, and no offense.

Yea, if I can find a 2006 E46 will low low miles, I'd go for it.

I like the 07 Audi A4, if I can find an S Line, I worry it will be slow.

I don't know much about the G35/G37 only that they pretty much saved Infiniti...

No Subaru either. I had a Legacy GT before my E46, would just like to try something else.

How about a used GTI? The new ones look great, but super expensive! And for a VW????
Why are you ruling out American cars automatically? Some of the current vehicles produced by Detroit blow away the foreign competition.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 PM

4,500 posts, read 11,504,680 times
Quote:
Nope, never been to Texas.
Ok, sorry to ask, there was just an eerie similarity to a guy who walked into our place yesterday, looking to make a trade.

(Same car to trade and asked about the exact same cars)

If you like BMW's there's no harm in sticking with them, that being said, I would strongly encourage getting one with a warranty on it.

It does sound like you have a very healthy down payment going for you, so depending on your credit, I wouldn't necessarily be too hesitant to go up to $22-24k and that would definitely open up your choices a lot more.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,768,020 times
If you could find a Volvo S40 with the T5 and AWD (not sure if such a combo exists) I'd still give it some thought. My DD is a 05 V50 with the T5 and AWD and while it's not as refined as a 3 series it;s still a kick to drive and I still smile when I slide behind the wheel after a year of ownership, and mine came in at $16K. It's an amazingly fun car to drive in the snow. Yeah I know it's a Focus underneath but it's so much fun it doesn't bother me.

As for the Charger or Chrysler 300, I drove them and the Magnum before buying the V50. I like the looks but they drive like barges. The steering is terrible, you can turn the wheel, let go and they won't go back straight again. It's like steering through molasses.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:44 AM

14,781 posts, read 41,206,686 times
Quote:
Yea, if I can find a 2006 E46 will low low miles, I'd go for it.
I think that is the best BMW buy with your budget. Keep your eyes open and keep looking.

Quote:
I like the 07 Audi A4, if I can find an S Line, I worry it will be slow.
By S-line are you referring to the S4 or are you referring to the S-line pack on the standard A4? If you mean S4, you aren't going to afford a B7 S4 with your budget unless it had like 100k on it. You could get an early B6 S4, but they're tough to find without a ton of miles and I wouldn't personally choose one of them as the B7 S4 updates made it a much sportier car.

If you are just talking about the S-line package, that is pretty much a "sticker" job. The S-line suspension is nice, but only marginally better than the stock one; it's something you could do aftermarket, better and for less money. Also, the 2.0T really isn't much of a slouch, even in the heavier Audi's. No, it won't be as fast as a comparable BMW, but you can get pretty darn close with something like a basic GIAC tune. $500 nets you a safe and reliable 40hp and 70tq bump in power.

Quote:
I don't know much about the G35/G37 only that they pretty much saved Infiniti...
They can be a mixed bag. Hands down they are the sportier and faster options of the three on your list. However, they are also not as nicely 'finished' as the BMW or Audi.

Quote:
How about a used GTI? The new ones look great, but super expensive! And for a VW????
I wouldn't recommend one based on general VW reliability. The GTI's tend to be a different story, but you never know. Overall, would you pick a FWD GTI that is only a tick faster then an AWD Audi A4 for the same money? Given, the GTI is going to be a little newer and lower mileage at that price point, but I think the Audi is the better choice versus the GTI.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM

556 posts, read 1,149,265 times
2009 Pontiac G8 GT.... Will easily go 200k With oil changes and gas. Handles great, tons of torque and power.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:52 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,019,870 times
I agree, a G8 GT is a nice car (no manual though, unless you go up to a GXP).

But they seem to be keeping their value quite well. Hard to find one south of $25k that doesn't have a lot of miles.

But the OP only wants foreign brands, even though the G8 is an import...

Old 03-01-2012, 12:10 PM

556 posts, read 1,149,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I agree, a G8 GT is a nice car (no manual though, unless you go up to a GXP).

But they seem to be keeping their value quite well. Hard to find one south of $25k that doesn't have a lot of miles.

But the OP only wants foreign brands, even though the G8 is an import...
Agree, I was going to note that, I just picked up an 09 sport/premium with 8300 miles for 25k in December. There are some in the low 20's-high teens with more miles.

Ah yes the good ol foreign cars or nothing guy.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:01 PM

221 posts, read 420,218 times
Okay, I'm back with a new list. I may go up to $25k as well, but that is absolutely it. I'm just not into American cars, not a single one has ever been attractive looking to me, the engineering is just not as good, lots of them are just fat slow boxes with no handling, even the newer Mustangs, they're made so cheaply and they only go in a straight line. Lastly, I'm a patriotic person, but I'm not buying American to be more "American". IMO, the American auto industry screwed up. Instead of using money to invest into research and development, they had to pay their retired workers. Other manufactures like the Japanes, Koreans and Germans - they just don't have that aged work force, or bloated retirement plans. Anyways...

The 2006 E46 is a great idea, my current is bare bones with options, if I can get a loaded one, it will be like a completely different car.

I think I might cut out the Infiniti G35 S - the gas mileage sucks

The Acura TSX V6 is a good idea, but still expensive...I really want to test drive one though.

I think I migt cut out Audi A4 S-Line and the S4...and no Swedish cars.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:36 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,166,670 times
Quote:
Okay, I'm back with a new list. I may go up to $25k as well, but that is absolutely it. I'm just not into American cars, not a single one has ever been attractive looking to me, the engineering is just not as good, lots of them are just fat slow boxes with no handling, even the newer Mustangs, they're made so cheaply and they only go in a straight line. Lastly, I'm a patriotic person, but I'm not buying American to be more "American". IMO, the American auto industry screwed up. Instead of using money to invest into research and development, they had to pay their retired workers. Other manufactures like the Japanes, Koreans and Germans - they just don't have that aged work force, or bloated retirement plans. Anyways...

The 2006 E46 is a great idea, my current is bare bones with options, if I can get a loaded one, it will be like a completely different car.

I think I might cut out the Infiniti G35 S - the gas mileage sucks

The Acura TSX V6 is a good idea, but still expensive...I really want to test drive one though.

I think I migt cut out Audi A4 S-Line and the S4...and no Swedish cars.
I've heard the paint on the G35's aren't good either. I was very highly considering one a while back. They're really the only choice for me, other than a G8 GT. (I was looking for sedan, RWD or AWD, quick, and handles at least alright, looks good (I think the G series 07+ sedans look just gorgeous), and doesn't head above 20k, used of course.)

I wish the acuras looked better than they do. That beak....

Have you considered the Hyundai Genesis? I have no idea if it's in your price range or has what you need, it's just another sedan I thought of off the top of my head just now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive