U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:11 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,130,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
Okay, I'm back with a new list. I may go up to $25k as well, but that is absolutely it. I'm just not into American cars, not a single one has ever been attractive looking to me, the engineering is just not as good, lots of them are just fat slow boxes with no handling, even the newer Mustangs, they're made so cheaply and they only go in a straight line. Lastly, I'm a patriotic person, but I'm not buying American to be more "American". IMO, the American auto industry screwed up. Instead of using money to invest into research and development, they had to pay their retired workers. Other manufactures like the Japanes, Koreans and Germans - they just don't have that aged work force, or bloated retirement plans. Anyways...

The 2006 E46 is a great idea, my current is bare bones with options, if I can get a loaded one, it will be like a completely different car.

I think I might cut out the Infiniti G35 S - the gas mileage sucks

The Acura TSX V6 is a good idea, but still expensive...I really want to test drive one though.

I think I migt cut out Audi A4 S-Line and the S4...and no Swedish cars.
Didn't see it for myself but a friend of mine was telling me about a comparing of a mustang GT with nothing but a brake upgrade comparing times against an M3.

They nearly tied. Granted I am sure the BMW is more refined and felt more balanced. But don't be fooled by the "only fast in a straight line" comments.

Even funnier you are considering an acura tax and talking about handling and performance.

Face it you want something that makes you seem "rich and refined". That is fine, just don't downplay cars to be what they aren't.

I would suggest the CTS-V as well, but its American....

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

People tend to mix up bad engineering, poor cars with bad business techniques. Yes the big 3 had some bad business practices. But they also engineered and built some great cars.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 AM

8,778 posts, read 18,726,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post

The Acura TSX V6 is a good idea, but still expensive...I really want to test drive one though.
You are aware that it's FWD, aren't you? Coming from a 3-series, i'd have to guess that an Infiniti G-series would be closer in driving dynamics. Or, if you're not concerned about drive wheels, a V6 Altima or Maxima shouldn't be any less dynamic than a TSX. IMHO.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:08 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,121,667 times
I was on E-Bay earlier today and found several 2001 to 2003 Audi S8 sedans going for under 15,000 dollars.
If you could find one with maintenance documentation you would have one hell of ride.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:06 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,023,420 times
A Lexus IS350 would be a fun change. 0-60 in under 5 seconds and RWD with Lexus luxury. It will be hard to find for under $25k. There are a couple out there though.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:46 AM

8,778 posts, read 18,726,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
A Lexus IS350 would be a fun change. 0-60 in under 5 seconds and RWD with Lexus luxury. It will be hard to find for under $25k. There are a couple out there though.
The IS popped into my head also, but in the OP's budget it would be the previous model which frankly looked like a Corolla with some lipstick on it. Yawn.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:35 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,023,420 times
2007 IS350 with 38k miles for $25k. Loaded with nav/backup camera, heated/cooled seats, sunroof, push button start, paddle shifters, dual memory seats, bluetooth, HIDs, blah blah.

Lexus : IS Lexus : IS | eBay in Chicago

Your not going to find anything better in the $20-25k range. EPA rates it as 19/25 with premium. Gotta pay to play!

Last edited by PokerMunkee; 03-11-2012 at 02:42 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 12:14 PM

14,781 posts, read 41,215,011 times
Take this critique from someone who works in the industry and has owned a stable of German and American cars...

Quote:
Okay, I'm back with a new list. I may go up to $25k as well, but that is absolutely it.
You are looking for used luxury cars, don't stretch your budget too far or you risk becoming 'payment poor' when the inevitable repairs come around.

Quote:
I'm just not into American cars, not a single one has ever been attractive looking to me,
I'd be cool if you stopped there. I understand not being attracted to certain brands or certain styling.

Quote:
the engineering is just not as good,
Flat out wrong. I would argue that the engineering is just as good as any other.

Quote:
lots of them are just fat slow boxes with no handling,
I could say the same thing about a multitude of cars from all brands, including BMW whose current cars are much fatter and slower boxes then their past designs.

Quote:
even the newer Mustangs, they're made so cheaply and they only go in a straight line.
The modern Mustang GT is probably the best bang for buck performance car outside of the Corvette. It is also an extremely competent handler. It has also whipped the M3 around a track and easily lays waste to most performance cars that cost double what it does. Yes, it's a little cheap on the side, but it's all about priorities. If you don't value going fast above all else, then the Mustang isn't for you. If you really cared about performance first, it wouldn't be bad choice at all.

Quote:
Lastly, I'm a patriotic person, but I'm not buying American to be more "American".
Fair enough, either will I. I buy a car because it appeals to me, not because it was built in a certain place or has a certain brand recognition. I would advise you not to limit yourself based on played out stereotypes.

Quote:
IMO, the American auto industry screwed up. Instead of using money to invest into research and development, they had to pay their retired workers. Other manufactures like the Japanes, Koreans and Germans - they just don't have that aged work force, or bloated retirement plans. Anyways...
The American auto industry gave in to the pressure of the auto worker unions and handed out those benefits. In many ways, those contracts helped bolster and create a robust American middle class. The part you fail to realize is that the Koreans, Japanese and Germans aren't smarter about how they manage their employees, they just have governments that do it for them. In countries with robust public pensions and retirement benefits and universal health care a huge onous is removed from industry. Foreign governments are also EXTREMELY supportive of their car brands financially, especially Korea and Japan. Don't give credit where it really isn't do.

Quote:
The 2006 E46 is a great idea, my current is bare bones with options, if I can get a loaded one, it will be like a completely different car.
I said it the first time, based on what you want, that is probably the best choice. I do need to lol though at considering an Acura TSX, even a V6 but then lamenting about "fat slow boxes that can't handle" from American car makers. Just for the record, a Chevy Malibu V6 has very similar handling to an Acura TSX V6 and is a tick faster in all measurable categories. It doesn't look as nice, but has many of the same features and costs THOUSANDS less.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:28 PM

4,359 posts, read 6,969,258 times
I like this thread in that I think this is a budget that a lot of people have. So, if you want a stick and performance in a 4 door car then you really should stick with a BMW. If you are worried about "reliability" and/or expensive costs associated with an older German than go with an Infiniti. If not then you have to go with some of the import turbo sedans (Subaru, Mitsubishi, etc., maybe a Honda Civic Si or a GTI)

I actually like the CTS Performance but it only comes in an auto and it is priced higher than a G35. I am not in the business so that may only mean asking price and OTD they are priced the same but from looking at ads it appears as if the G35 is a screaming deal used. The CTS is also bigger so that it may not appear as agile. The Lincoln MKS is just overpriced.

I have a Subaru Turbo slushbox now and I would think I was driving a sporty ride if I got a G35 but coming from a BMW you may have different expectations.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:52 PM

179 posts, read 376,133 times
1.Subaru WRX STi (Faster than Pontiac GTO stock, nice looking and reliable)
2.Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution (Same, maybe a little less reliable)
3.Honda Civic Si (4 Door) ( Quick,nimble,looks good, most reliable)
4.Nissan Altima SE R (250 HP NA 3.5 V6, not ver comfortable, reliable but not as good as Civic, but more space)

I'd stay away from euros, to expensive to maintain and it looks like the newer the model the less reliable they are, i've seen MANY BMW,MB,Audi,etc running reallyyyy crappy at 100k, while there are 1991 Honda CRX's with 300k miles plus, and get beat hard on daily still running strong.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:00 AM

179 posts, read 376,133 times
Oh God and i forgot about probably my favorite, mid 2000 to 2008 Acura TL Type S. The most beautiful sedan Acura has ever made, no beak and Honda reliability. The fun part is 286 HP and 256 pounds of torque to the front wheels, better keep both hands on the wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive