Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The video was very amusing, but that entire scenario can be avoided in most cases by simply parking at the far reaches of a parking lot.
However, most people are simply too lazy to take that simple approach to both safety and preserving the condition of their car.
On a weekend afternoon, at my local Target shopping center, there ARE no parking spaces at the far reaches. Or anywhere else. You have to circle and hunt.

(However people are tremendously courteous and don't throw their doors wide open and ding the car next to them so it all evens out. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 08:53 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
You're supposed to give right of way to everything when you're in reverse.

But sometimes you can't see because of the cars parked either side of you.

IMHO if I can see the driver of the car reversing (which means they can see me if they bothered to look), before they start to reverse, and they go anyway, then they deserve everything they get.
So if my view of oncoming lot traffic is blocked by the SUV parked on that side, what am I supposed to do? Stay in my space until the owner of the SUV comes out of the store and drives away? Someone driving up the parking lane can see my reverse lights long before I've moved back far enough to see around the aforementioned SUV. Right or wrong, it only makes sense them for them to stop to let me out. I don't come blasting blindly out of parking spaces, and others shouldn't be racing up the parking lanes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
OP--No it's not just you!

One of my pet peeves is parking in a lot, coming back to find that my vehicle is sandwiched between two SUVs or two vans, and having to back out blindly while other motorists zoom past my rear bumper with just a few inches of clearance--even when my vehicle is already a few feet out of the parking space.

However, I do have a solution that works much of the time.
If I have the ability to drive into a parking space so that I can "front out" of the space, then I do so.

You may have to park a bit further from the store in order to find a space like that, but...trust me...your overall health and your butt will benefit from walking a bit further.
This is also the prime reason why my cars tend to look showroom-new, even after 10 years. No parking lot dings in the doors or fenders!

Some folks will argue that parking this way is illegal. In reality, in a private parking lot, "legality" is not an issue. And, even if it was technically illegal, the reality is that it is FAR safer to be able to exit from a parking space while driving forward (slowly and carefully) than it is to back out of that same space.

I say screw the conventional approach and--whenever possible--park so that you can drive directly out of a parking space, rather than having to back out of the space.
I assume your rebel attitude only applies to lots with one-way parking lanes. Otherwise there's no question of "conventional approach".

In most situations I will always try to park so that I can pull out forwards. I can back into a space much faster and more easily than I can back out into a lane of traffic. I park facing out in my garage and driveway as well.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
So if my view of oncoming lot traffic is blocked by the SUV parked on that side, what am I supposed to do? Stay in my space until the owner of the SUV comes out of the store and drives away? Someone driving up the parking lane can see my reverse lights long before I've moved back far enough to see around the aforementioned SUV. Right or wrong, it only makes sense them for them to stop to let me out. I don't come blasting blindly out of parking spaces, and others shouldn't be racing up the parking lanes.
Huh? I was agreeing with you that if you're sandwiched then you pretty much have to back out until you can see - it's rude of drivers in that situation to blast past you or cut you off.

It's the people who have clear visibility and reverse out the the parking space and cut you off that I have a problem with.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times
What about when your driving around for 15 minutes, finally get a space and put your blinker on, then someone tries to steal your spot at the last second.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:26 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
I've never actually seen "rules" for parking lots or sidewalks. Go figure.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:45 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I've never actually seen "rules" for parking lots or sidewalks. Go figure.
"Rule of Thumb"

For now on, I'm never parking near anyone else. People get out of their cars and swing their doors open and hit yours..

Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Todays drivers are some of the most Rude, ignorant, me first attitude people you're ever likely to meet.driving in parking lots are especially fraught with danger as people throw any form of courtesy away and fall into anarchy, i guess it all comes down to the degeneration of civility in our culture.
A brief visit to CD's Political forum will give you an expose of similar parking lot mentality..

Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Huh? I was agreeing with you that if you're sandwiched then you pretty much have to back out until you can see - it's rude of drivers in that situation to blast past you or cut you off.

It's the people who have clear visibility and reverse out the the parking space and cut you off that I have a problem with.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:17 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
This is one of those things that's bugged me for a long time, and for the record, I personally try to avoid these circumstances, but anyway ...

Does anyone else think that, at some point when I vehicle is attempting to pull out from a parking spot, that they need to be granted the right-of-way? To my way of looking at it, if the vehicle is already in motion, and I suddenly show up in that lane, then I always stop and let the vehicle continue rather than leaving them stuck in a half-out/half-in position. I'm apalled by how many drivers will just tear down the lane, lay on the horn, and even swerve around the other vehicle. I've vowed that, if I find myself in this position due to the way the parking lot is structured, that I will floor the gas and slam into the other vehicle with no regrets or remorse.

If you park as far out as possible you don't have these issues. Well I don't because I have no need to be close to the door. I like taking the extra 30 or more extra steps I have to take to get to the door of the establishment.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:49 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
This is one of those things that's bugged me for a long time, and for the record, I personally try to avoid these circumstances, but anyway ...

Does anyone else think that, at some point when I vehicle is attempting to pull out from a parking spot, that they need to be granted the right-of-way? To my way of looking at it, if the vehicle is already in motion, and I suddenly show up in that lane, then I always stop and let the vehicle continue rather than leaving them stuck in a half-out/half-in position. I'm apalled by how many drivers will just tear down the lane, lay on the horn, and even swerve around the other vehicle. I've vowed that, if I find myself in this position due to the way the parking lot is structured, that I will floor the gas and slam into the other vehicle with no regrets or remorse.
It has been mentioned, but when you're backing up you have to yield to everything and everyone, those who drive on behind cars backing up then, are completely within their right, and if you decide to go about things the way you described, your insurance premium will peak, at best, at worst you'd end up in jail.

As for etiquette, I suppose it depends on the eye of the beholder, it appears to me to be a bigger problem that too many people back up without actually looking behind them, so in my opinion, that's a bigger issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive