Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
The issues I have with parking lots,

A. People who drive cross the lot across the empty spaces, when driving down the lane, cars just appear between other cars you don't expect.

B. People to take up more than one space. I guess it's ok if they park far out in a lot that has plenty of empty parking spaces, but I've seen plenty of instances where they are taking up more than one space and the parking lot is filled.

C. People that park too close. I came out of a Lowe's one day, lots of empty spaces in the lot and this guy park within 1 foot of the drivers side of my car. I actually had to get in the car on the passengers side and crawl over the center console to get the the drivers seat. I opened my door and gave his car a good whack, I was really tempted to key his car, but I resisted the temptation. Maybe he will be more considerate in the future when he see the paint damage to his car from my door. His car was brand new too, mine is 8 years old and the paint is more than a little beat up.
LOL! I did the same thing once, a long time ago. Only I whacked the other car {actually, it was a full size van} with my door at least a half a dozen times, as hard as I could.

I came out of work, it was pooring rain, and that fool was parked less than a foot from my driver's door. I had to crawl in the passenger door and over the console.....I was furious. What if I was too old or too fat to do that? Think that fool gave a crap whether someone couldn't get in their car at all? Let alone at midnight in the pooring rain. Who ever it was, worked the midnight shift.

Like you, I had an older car.....and those metal strips on the edges of my doors, remember those? LOL! So, I didn't damage my car, but I sure as hell damaged his...... since it was dark and pooring rain I couldn't see my handiwork though.

BTW, when I can, I always park way, way out.....I figure the exercise isn't going to hurt me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 01:52 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
OK, go back and re-read my posts in this thread. I DO slow down. Depending on the situation, I'll even stop and let you out. That's not the point. My issue is this notion that the guy driving down the aisle is the a-hole when these situations occur, that they're the rude and inconsiderate one. I don't know how following the rules of the road by assuming the right of way makes that person the one in the wrong while the 'poor soul' backing up into a lane of potentially moving traffic is the victim.

Let me ask this to everyone. If you (the generic 'you') are ever halfway pulled out and see you've pulled into the lane and cut someone off, do you ever pull back into the spot a little and let them go, or do you just keep coming out seeing that you've now stopped traffic? To me, NOT pulling back in and yielding the right of way is the incredibly rude act, not the guy who honked or swerved to get around you.

Mike
You must spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff.

Just slow down and be considerate and you'll be amazed how the "idiots" that you see everywhere will just disappear.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:53 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Not true many laws extend to a private parking lot.
One example is if it does not have a gate, or is open to public travel.
Gf got hit in a public lot at the mall, the cops came and determined the other driver was at fault. He hit her in the rear quarter panel from the side while backing out of a parking spot.

If it is a private lot that has a controlled access then some laws may not apply.
Good luck with that. It will be no-fault. Guaranteed.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:24 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrational View Post
if you've never seen "fried green tomato's"...

fried green tomatoes favourite scene1a - youtube

lol!!!

Old 03-08-2012, 03:04 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You must spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff.

Just slow down and be considerate and you'll be amazed how the "idiots" that you see everywhere will just disappear.
Imagine that. Someone who puts thinking into driving.

Mike

Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
BTW, when I can, I always park way, way out.....I figure the exercise isn't going to hurt me.
I started doing this on my business trips for work. I rented a car in LA, drove to my hotel in Palmdale, went out to a Walmart to get food for the room and upon returning to the hotel I noticed someone with a hitch backed into the rental, made a nice hole in the bumper, dislodged the bumper panel. I had the car a whole 3 hours! Had to drive the the police station to get a accident report filled out, fortunately I rented the car with my American Express card and the damage was covered. I now park way out in the lots when traveling for work, I don't need the hassle.

Funny thing is I would have been less upset if it was my car, I'd just pop the bumper panel back in place, what's another scratch, dent, hole on my beater commuter car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive