Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 04:40 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,693,967 times

Advertisements

Our old gal the 1993 Suburban is starting to show a lot of corrosion on the wheels and center cap. Anyone got a real good way to clean and restore factory alloy wheels ??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 05:49 PM

17,220 posts, read 57,124,095 times
If the center cap has rust "blooming" through the crome, the only practical cure is to replace them with un-rusty ones.

Unless you want to take the truck off the road for several days to several weeks while a wheel service works over your existing wheels, it may actually be more practical to find a good used set from a southern or western junkyard, and just keep the corroded ones for winter use.

IIRC you live in rust country where road salt is used. If you drive a vehicle on salted, wet roads, it will rust and corrode, in my experience, without exception.

Not what you wanted to hear, but, IIRC you are a retired engineer, and probably strongly suspected this would be the way it is.

I'd like to see someone post up something clever and quick, but I am not going to hold my breath.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:17 PM

24,495 posts, read 26,038,861 times
^^ Good advice above. If you want to tackle it yourself check out this.

Google

Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If the center cap has rust "blooming" through the crome, the only practical cure is to replace them with un-rusty ones.

Unless you want to take the truck off the road for several days to several weeks while a wheel service works over your existing wheels, it may actually be more practical to find a good used set from a southern or western junkyard, and just keep the corroded ones for winter use.

IIRC you live in rust country where road salt is used. If you drive a vehicle on salted, wet roads, it will rust and corrode, in my experience, without exception.

Not what you wanted to hear, but, IIRC you are a retired engineer, and probably strongly suspected this would be the way it is.

I'd like to see someone post up something clever and quick, but I am not going to hold my breath.
"Tis true for sure.

I'll just have to bite the bullet the bullet and buy new wheels since I'm going to get paint work done to arrest some age there too.

Oh well, not bad for 19 years of faithful service.

I knew that cleaning my wheels was not going to work since some places are so badly corroded to much metal would be removed to be safe which why I'm doing this now. I can't stall another year.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:00 PM

17,220 posts, read 57,124,095 times
You would have to lose *A LOT* of metal off most factory aluminum wheels to make them unsafe - maybe you can post up a pic?

My suggestion is to go with used, same vintage wheels (you may well find them with some still quite usable tires already mounted and balanced on them, which you will get essentially for free when you buy the wheels...). No need to go to a new wheel, the OEM wheel is probably not available new anyway, now. You could go to an aftermarket wheel, but IMHO you would be paying more for a wheel that's not any better, and may not be as good.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You would have to lose *A LOT* of metal off most factory aluminum wheels to make them unsafe - maybe you can post up a pic?

My suggestion is to go with used, same vintage wheels (you may well find them with some still quite usable tires already mounted and balanced on them, which you will get essentially for free when you buy the wheels...). No need to go to a new wheel, the OEM wheel is probably not available new anyway, now. You could go to an aftermarket wheel, but IMHO you would be paying more for a wheel that's not any better, and may not be as good.
No can do pics, sorry.

As far as used or refurb wheels that's not something I want to risk given how much my Suburban weighs fully loaded. There is also not much price difference between used and new wheels. Since I'm known to be a skinflint when it comes to buying anything I will soon find the best price for a set of wheels. Thus far the American Racing "Outlaw II" it the cheapest at $85 complete from Amazon.

Thanks for your help..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive