Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:41 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Is it okay to keep older vehicles for a long, long time? Yep - absolutely! I drive a 25-year old Volvo with 275,000 miles. It's probably more road worthy than just about any vehicle any member of this forum drives.
It is possible to have a "road worthy" 25y/o car, but it depends upon where you live also. What is the climate like in your region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 05:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrainman View Post
Still trying to figure out why anybody would buy new alloy wheels for a 93 Suburban
Oh I didn't "want" new wheels at all. I "needed" new wheel after 19 years of service on midwestern salted roads. The salt just ate them up to the point I could no longer clean them up. Beside, all I'm spending is a little money to get more use out of a faithful friend.

While the alloy wheels were trashed by the salt the body is still pristine with NO body rust at all!! I'll have to do some paint work due to sun fading.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're saying, or asking.

Is it okay to keep older vehicles for a long, long time? Yep - absolutely! I drive a 25-year old Volvo with 275,000 miles. It's probably more road worthy than just about any vehicle any member of this forum drives. Plus, I not only have no payments, I have the cheapest annual license available, plus the cheapest insurance available.

The key is maintenance.
Yep, we're on the same page!!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:45 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It is possible to have a "road worthy" 25y/o car, but it depends upon where you live also. What is the climate like in your region?
I'm "up North," but that is not where this Volvo spent the overwhelming majority of its life.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Yep, we're on the same page!!
Yep.

I can fully understand why people, who don't know cars, would want a new/newer car. It makes perfect sense.

But for people who know cars, and/or who rebuild cars, it's an entirely different story.

In 35+ years of driving, I am absolutely positive that I've saved well over $100,000 by simply driving older cars. Works for me!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:56 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Oh I didn't "want" new wheels at all. I "needed" new wheel after 19 years of service on midwestern salted roads. The salt just ate them up to the point I could no longer clean them up. Beside, all I'm spending is a little money to get more use out of a faithful friend.

While the alloy wheels were trashed by the salt the body is still pristine with NO body rust at all!! I'll have to do some paint work due to sun fading.
Before you drop $$$ on a new drivetrain, make sure that the undercarriage hasn't been eaten up by all that salt.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
Great advice---salt can do a major number on too many parts of a car or truck to mention.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 PM

A couple years ago, one of my sons & I picked up an 89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Rust-free southern truck. What a beautiful beast! Had it not been for the 11 mpg city/13 mpg highway, I probably would have kept it. WELL WORTH fixing and flipping!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Your 1993 Suburban's 5.7 produces 210HP. My '11 Kia Optima 2.4L 4 banger produces 200HP. LOL.The new Suburbans have 320HP. Time to get with the times!
BFD. His Suburban can carry 8 or 9 people and tow 8,000 lbs. Lets see your Kia do either, much less both, hell lets see if your Kia is even around in 20 years.

By the way your massively powerful Kia has all of 186 torque, his Suburban has 300. My 1994 Silverado has 385 torque, a new 2012 Sububan has only 348 torque. Horsepower isn't everything.

Last edited by Haakon; 03-11-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-11-2012, 07:39 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Facepalm? REALLY?

I will guarantee you - with 100% certainty - that it will drive anywhere, anytime, with no problems. How do I know that? Because I have rebuilt EVERYTHING in that car - not so much because I had to but because I wanted to.

And here's more: When your 2012 Hyundai is sitting in the U-Pull-It Salvage Yard, I'll still be driving the Volvo.

Now... Care to facepalm me again?
Yes I do care to you again, mainly because you missed my point. You said:

It's probably more road worthy than just about any vehicle any member of this forum drives.

which besides being grossly incorrect is just a stupid thing to say. That's why I quoted only that phrase in my previous response to you. I didn't care anything about how perfect your Volvo supposedly is. I was remarking on how ridiculous the quoted statement was. Do you really think your rebuilt Volvo is better than most every car any of us own? Does that sound like a sensible thing to say?

Two other things-I don't own a Hyundai. No idea where you got that. And completely rebuilding a common everyday driven automobile (when not necessary, as you admitted) simply to bring it up to it's original condition is also a bit silly, don't you think? All that money and time spent...imagine what could have been. Pour enough time and money into anything and you can reach the desired result. It's not much of an accomplishment.

EDIT-You're just full of wild insults, aren't you-

I can fully understand why people, who don't know cars, would want a new/newer car. It makes perfect sense.

Here's a great reason why we would want a newer car. Because we want what older cars can't offer, whatever that may be. Simple answer. Some of us don't look at vehicles as appliances simply to get from A to B, or constant projects. The money doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive