Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:12 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times

Advertisements

I've taken a peek at the price that's on the screen from the person before me just because I want to make sure the pump works. I've stumbled upon a pump or two that has had no sign on it but doesn't work when I'm attempting to gas up. Super annoying to go tell the cashier, drive to another pump, etc. At least it saves another person from my frustration, lol.
For my driving habits, it just makes sense to me to fill 'er up for the $40 it takes right now. Adds up to about $160/month. Then hubby gas consumption is about $50/fill up for about $200/month. We both have decent fuel efficient sedans. The cars serve their purpose for us as we mostly just use for commute and usually only have a driver and a passenger at the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 12:29 PM

780 posts, read 2,925,306 times
I'm not a snooper. I buy gasoline 30 gallons at a time, so if you snooped on me, you would see 30 gallons and $0 whether I had the Silverado or the M3 at the pump.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:50 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times
I agree that the relevant number is the total monthly expenditure on gas, not what it costs to fill up. I spent $70 to fill up my Murano last time but that will last me about 3 weeks. I guess I might get a kick out of seeing what it costs to fill up a Hummer H2 or Escalade or something though. I'm guessing it could reach $125 at current CA gas prices.

I had a co-worker who bought a $30k pickup and would only put $40 of gas in at a time. I know he could afford to fill it up. So it seemed odd that he would choose to go to the gas station twice as often just because of the sticker shock of putting 20 gallons in the thing.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:09 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
With diesel now at $4.98 here, it scares me to think of what all the people with the big diesel pickup trucks here are putting into their tank! I think the Dodge's have a 34 gallon tank - at 30 gallons, that is a $150 fill-up! Ouch.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:26 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
I get 18-30 depending on if I'm in the city or highway. 16 gallon tank, but I try to fill up before things get too bad. I think it costs me ~$45 to fill from empty to full?

I don't snoop gas prices, at least not on purpose, but the pumps do show how much the last sale was for. Sometimes I have to cringe.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Thinking back, I have to admit that I snooped once. It was near Christmas and I had just recieved my yearly bonus check. A family in a beater was at the pump behind me. They just finished pumping as I was walking behind my car to go cash out. I got their pump number and their total and I was in line about four people ahead of the guy with the beater. I paid for his gas and mine and told the clerk to be quiet about it and just tell they guy it is paid for - Merry christmas. That was fun.

Later, I realized it is possible that it ticked the guy off or made him feel bad. You never know.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,009 times
I have better things to do than care what others are paying to fill up. However, I have had several comments made towards me when I am filling up my 5.3L Tahoe or 5.7L Jeep. They are usually Prius drivers and my response is usually along the lines of "keep driving that POS, more gas for me!"

Besides, my family's yearly gas usage/allowance is 4.6% of our HHI. Pretty much a drop in the bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive