Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times

Advertisements

True, there are some accidents that are just not survivable. That aside, when speaking in terms of a crossover crash like this, involving two modern vehicles with comparable occupant safety systems, I'd much prefer to be driving the vehicle having more momentum, as opposed to the one having less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 12:31 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It needs to be investigated why that SUV exploded into a million pieces like that. I've seen vehicles hit by freight trains that didn't do that.
Because relative velocity is much less as most train vehicles are broadsides.
The only speed that maters is the trains and in the states trains go rather slow.

⇒vCA=vBA+vCB
Most individuals are accustomed to the addition rule of velocities: if two cars approach each other from opposite directions, each traveling at a speed of 31 miles per hour, one expects that each car will perceive the other as approaching at a combined speed of 62 mph.

Example 1Problem : Two cars, standing a distance apart, start moving towards each other with speeds 1 m/s and 2 m/s along a straight road. What is the speed with which they approach each other ?
Solution : Let us consider that "A" denotes Earth, "B" denotes first car and "C" denotes second car. The equation of relative velocity for this case is :

⇒vCA=vBA+vCB

The vehicle with more mass usually fairs better.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:21 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
The "big" truck was safer that the smaller truck.

I don't think any vehicle would have feared well in that accident.

But we can see your Bias.
No bias, have a large truck and a small truck. It's a sad situation, just shows how fast thangs happen. Now I did notice a few large vehicles driving in crazy weather this week like they were at a race track, guess they figured no harm could come to them, this shows differently.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:41 PM

93 posts, read 71,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
The larger vehicle wins, as is usually the case.

I saw that a couple weeks ago, and checked the timing. The driver went from "This weather sucks, I can't wait to get home" to completely destroyed in 7 seconds. 7 seconds. Sad.
I don't think it's that tragic. I wouldn't mind going that way.

He was here, then he wasn't. Boom.

The guy who has a similar accident but winds up in a ditch with his legs missing, half his throat slit yet survives a few hours of unfathomable pain before dying at the hospital- now that is sad. And similar auto deaths happens every day.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:09 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
I don't plan to drive 930 Komatsu dump truck to be safe from accidents with a semi, anything smaller is going to have the same results. However having seen more than one head on crash between a full size pickup and a typical car, I'll keep driving a full size truck.

Man killed in head-on crash; 2 children injured | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Old 03-25-2012, 03:21 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
My God the occupants of that smaller vehicle had to be dead on impact.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:42 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Because relative velocity is much less as most train vehicles are broadsides.
The only speed that maters is the trains and in the states trains go rather slow.

⇒vCA=vBA+vCB
Most individuals are accustomed to the addition rule of velocities: if two cars approach each other from opposite directions, each traveling at a speed of 31 miles per hour, one expects that each car will perceive the other as approaching at a combined speed of 62 mph.

Example 1Problem : Two cars, standing a distance apart, start moving towards each other with speeds 1 m/s and 2 m/s along a straight road. What is the speed with which they approach each other ?
Solution : Let us consider that "A" denotes Earth, "B" denotes first car and "C" denotes second car. The equation of relative velocity for this case is :

⇒vCA=vBA+vCB

The vehicle with more mass usually fairs better.
All that supposed math brilliance to state what has already been said several times, AND then you said "fairs".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor2483 View Post
I don't think it's that tragic. I wouldn't mind going that way.

He was here, then he wasn't. Boom.

The guy who has a similar accident but winds up in a ditch with his legs missing, half his throat slit yet survives a few hours of unfathomable pain before dying at the hospital- now that is sad. And similar auto deaths happens every day.
If the outcome is going to be death, then I'd certainly much rather go quickly, like the driver of the SUV. That wasn't my point. The sadness is that the person or people were headed along through their daily lives then BANG they were all dead in an instant.

It doesn't matter if it happens every second of every day, it's sad.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:27 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
When two obects collide that are of vastly different mass, the energy that is transferred to the smaller vehicle is quite dramatically greater than that transferred to the larger vehicle. So, not only was the Nissan a plastic POS, the energy transfer was enormous. Did I miss the report of the semi driver's injuries?

My nephew was driving my 1972 Coupe De Ville at about 40 mph and got hit head on by a vehicle where the driver fell asleep and did not brake at about 50mph and the nephew had only seat belt bruises. The occupants of the other car, a compact, were obliterated. Their car was maybe half of its original length and you could not tell what kind of car it was. Difference in weight of the cars was maybe two to one. That semi in the video? Maybe 30 to one.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:05 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
All that supposed math brilliance to state what has already been said several times, AND then you said "fairs".

Yup, things like that will happen when your dyslectic and you let the spell checker correct it mostly for you (auto pilot) and you don't proofread.
I guess if it really mattered, I would, but it doesn't.

But I'm sure all of your posts are with out fault.

Last edited by snofarmer; 03-25-2012 at 08:14 PM..

Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
And the even more obvious, slow down, back off, take your time, stay in control no matter what your driving, but even more so in bad weather. It'll only take a little extra time to get their.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive