Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If gas was $9.00 a gallon, what would you do?
Drive less 40 35.71%
Consolidate your trips 28 25.00%
Think about trading your car in for a more efficient model 22 19.64%
Take local public transportation to at least some of your destinations 19 16.96%
Walk / bike to at least some of your destinations 24 21.43%
Motorcycle / moped / scoot to at least some of your destinations 17 15.18%
Take fewer leisure drives 21 18.75%
Reconsider long-distance car travel 25 22.32%
Other 14 12.50%
Nothing 30 26.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:44 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
hahaha.

Those 2% & 3% raises most folks get every year are just that a increase to keep your wage in steep with inflation or the cost of living.

If fuel takes a big jump you will see many folks request their salaries keep in step as the cost of living increases.

If inflation goes up so does the minimum wage.

All of this will influence inflation, it's a fickle master
You do realize a lot of people have not gotten those increases in the last several years, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 09:01 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I've did some stress testing on my personal budget..

Gas can rise as high as about $20/gal without seriously affecting my lifestyle. I use about 360 gallons annually.

I'll start driving less when it gets to about $10/gal.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 AM

Pretending for a second that there would be no massive economical impact I would definitely enjoy driving on less congested roads.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:15 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You do realize a lot of people have not gotten those increases in the last several years, right?
Those who have not lost their jobs or have a contract have.

Th Co. my wife works for has laid off folks and yet they have given out a 3% raise and a bonus.

In 1979 minimum wage was $2.10 per hour and gas was $0.64. In 2011 it was $7.25 per hour and gas was $3.
States tie annual increases in their minimums to increases in the cost of living.
The price increase suggested by the op would increase the cost of living for all.

The minimum wage will increase by 28 cents next year in Colorado; 30 cents in Montana, Ohio and Oregon; and 37 cents in Washington State. Other states that have laws requiring their minimum wages be adjusted annually.
Nationwide, 18 states and Washington, D.C. have minimum wage rates that are higher than the federal minimum wage of $7.25,. (http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm - broken link) Washington State has the highest hourly rate at $8.67, which will go to $9.04 next year when the new rate goes into effect.

If it happened suddenly it would take time for the adjustment to catch up, but eventuality it would.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:
It very well could cost $9 a gal someday

As fuel prices goes up so does the amount we get paid (cost of living raise) and minamum wage will go up also.
That is an absolutely false assumption. This very minute, most workers in this country are not getting COLA's to compensate for inflation--especially for the inflation in basic commodity prices for things like food and fuel. The massive economic disruption that $9/gallon would have would ensure that no one would likely get any kind of raise--if they were fortunate enough to keep their job at all. Quite honestly, I don't think the social and political fabric of the country would hold together. We would descend into anarchy, then a dictatorship. And no one's life or property would be safe then.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
If gas truly ever reaches that point, our economy would be in such shambles that I doubt the price of gas would even be an issue; food prices would skyrocket, employers would let go of numerous employees, state taxes would be in a bigger mess than they already are, our nation would go into a panic greater than what we saw 4 years ago.

If gas ever gets that high, I'm stocking up on canned foods, ammo, and guns.
Same here.

Let's not forget people not only use fuel to get to work, but also for leisure (movies, dining, shopping, vacations, sports, etc). If gas were $9 we would live in a nation of VERY angry people, I can't even imagine what the crime rate would climb to.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
Nothing false about it. Inflation and a increase in the cost of living are related to fuel costs.

If fuel went up to $9 everything else would increase in cost too. The dollar may very well be worth less but everyone would be making more.
Econ 101 tells me this.

I guess I'm not concerned with the wages paid to burger flippers as those jobs were never intended to support a family.

If this was all nonsense minimum wage would still be $2hr.

So if fuel went to $3.87 in 1979 we would have had anarchy? hahah, nope, your wage would increase as the cost of living went up, no roaming gangs of thugs etc etc. Moang and groaning while their wages caught up with inflation sure but it would.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:30 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Nope, salaries too.
As inflation goes up, as in the past the cost of living goes up. Many get raises based on the cost of living.
As stated the cost of everything would go up and salaries would fallow.

I would charge more for my services (give my self a cost of living raise) as my operating cost went up.
Not to be rude...but have you been living under a rock?! Most of the people I know have had their salaries frozen for the past few years and last year was the first year in which they saw ANY type of raise. I work for a private corporation and many employees haven't seen a COLA in 3 years much less an actual performance-based raise.

I received a promotion last year otherwise I'm sure my salary would've been included in those who haven't gotten a pay raise.

It's definitely a false assumption to think that just because the cost of living is going up, that salaries will follow. Salaries have NEVER followed true inflation particularly minimum-wage. If minimum wage was actually based on the true cost of living, I'd venture a guess that the nationwide average would be somewhere around $12/ hour.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Those who have not lost their jobs or have a contract have.
Completely wrong. I work a white collar job for a major corporation. Plenty of these companies have had wage freezes in recent years.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:33 AM

109 posts, read 194,710 times
Gas is no more expensive than in 1990 per se'. It's this Administration that is burning the midnight "oil" on the printing presses to make more money... Our dollar is worthless!!
Remember when you go to vote, this "president" when he was a congressman said he had no problem with gas going in the 10-12 dollar range.... Think about that before you check the box!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive