Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:59 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Funny!

Those don't work for anything newer than OBD2.

P.S. The easier way to pull power to the computer would be to pull the fuse for it in the underhood fuse box. Why bother with battery cables and having to put all those radio presets back in?
What's newer than OBD2?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM

568 posts, read 2,418,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
What's newer than OBD2?
Nothing

Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times
This code only shows up right after a cold start. After the car is being driven for about 15 minutes, the code won't show if the engine is turned off and on again. It will disappear as long the engine is warm.

Do codes show up all the time, or only occasionally? Thanks.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:18 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It was already covered, but for what the OP is doing, it basically has the same effect. Either resetting the ECM or clearing them with a scan tool will turn the code off. However, if there is an actual problem, then the codes will just come right back. Resetting the ECM by pulling the power is basically a cheap way of clearing codes without a scan tool. There is little other benefit to doing it, especially on an older car where the ECM isn't "learning" anything.

One example of where you might want to reset the ECM for a "quick fix" would be if you knew you got a batch of bad gas and then ended up with a CEL for a misfire. Once that tank is run down and "good" gas put in, reset the ECM and it will clear the CEL and the misfire code won't come back. In the case of the EGR issues, it doesn't matter what you do, it will come back unless you had a way to program the ECM not to care about the EGR system.

Do a quick search online for how to clean the EGR valve on your exact year/model/engine. There are tons of videos and walkthroughs out there. Cleaning it is simple and cheap and easy to do. While you're cleaning it, unplug the battery to reset the ECM. Hook everything back up and see if the light comes back on. Chances are a good cleaning will solve the issue. If not then I would recommend that you get it looked at as an EGR issue can effect the car even if you don't "feel" it...

If it's stuck open the car will idle roughly and may stall. If it's stuck closed it can cause detonation under load and increased cylinder temperatures, neither of which are good for your car long term.
Cleaned the EGR valve today along with the EGR ports. Looks dirty.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg5/davidtr1/IMG_9113A.jpg (broken link)

The EGR valve was easy. The EGR ports underneath the fuel rail was a lot harder. I watched the video by Ericthecarguy many times and still struggled to do this task.

The fuel injectors were supposed to come out still attached to the fuel rail like this.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg5/davidtr1/IMG_9115A.jpg (broken link)

One of them came off of the rail. I pushed it back in as best as I could. Hopefully there is no special procedure to it.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg5/davidtr1/IMG_9116A.jpg (broken link)

The good news is car starts and runs. Waiting to see if code clears.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
This code only shows up right after a cold start. After the car is being driven for about 15 minutes, the code won't show if the engine is turned off and on again. It will disappear as long the engine is warm.

Do codes show up all the time, or only occasionally? Thanks.
Does it idle rough on the cold start? The EGR valve may just be sticking. When its cold it won't operate properly, but once it is warmed up, it starts to work. I think the cleaning recommendation is a good place to start. As far as the CEL going on and off, the light is triggered by information from sensors. It will turn on when the problem is first discovered and then turn off if the next cycle no longer sees the issue. When you turn the car off and then back on, the ECM is going through the readings and if everything is coming back normal, no CEL.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
I was posting #25 as you were posting the update. It definitely looks like it needed a good cleaning. Hope it works out for you.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,685 times
I have a question. We have corrected the issues on my 2002 Buick LeSabre. Code was a MAP sensor. Replaced this and the IAC valve. The car starts great but will not stay running when put in gear. Is this because we have not yet cleared the codes on the car?

Old 03-24-2014, 04:49 PM

568 posts, read 2,418,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidisueC View Post
I have a question. We have corrected the issues on my 2002 Buick LeSabre. Code was a MAP sensor. Replaced this and the IAC valve. The car starts great but will not stay running when put in gear. Is this because we have not yet cleared the codes on the car?
A code stored in the computer won't make the car run bad and clearing the code won't magically make it run good. You've got other problems.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:22 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,069,407 times
You can disconnect the battery every day to reset the ECU but the CEL will light every time when you turn the key if you haven't fixed the problem. You can clear the code with a scan but the ECU will repost the code if you haven't fixed the problem causing the trouble code.
Many people try to do this to pass a smog test. It doesn't work. Every ECM since 1996 has a 'readiness' mode. There are about a dozen different parameters that must be memorized by the ECM before the ECM is 'ready' for a tail pipe reading.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:11 PM

19,010 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidisueC View Post

No, i8t's because your IAC valve is not working. Idle QAir Control valve. Does not hold RPMs when demand for them goes up as you load the engine with engaging gear.
Yes, I saw you replaced it. Means squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive