Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 05:27 PM

18 posts, read 31,913 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short, son has 2001 Volvo S40, drove car while it overheated (should have known better obviously!), paid 2100 for replacement engine, gets car back after 3 weeks and next day car breaks down, turns out mechanic installed wrong engine type, it should have been a turbo engine. Replacement engine had 6 month warranty. Mechanic (long established local business, had been good up to this point) is giving son estimate?? Yikes, why an estimate and not an apology and no charge?? Any advice on how to handle this? Son had to get ride from coworker to get to and from work for several days, is now borrowing his grandparent's car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 06:01 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
I get help from local newspaper or tv stations. They have reporters who help people with problems like this. Businesses usually respond quickly when reporters are involved because they don't want bad publicity.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
This is a rather major mistake on the part of the shop to have installed the wrong engine in this car.

IIRC, all S40's of that year model were turbo'ed. So they couldn't have inadvertently obtained a non-turbo motor for it and not have noticed upon installing it.

However, you need to be sure exactly what it was that the shop quoted and was authorized to do. At the low price you mention, about half of that cost would have been just for labor at average hourly billing rates and 12 hours (or so) of R&R time. Could the shop have quoted an engine swap that would get the car on the road, but not necessarily a like kind engine, at a minimal price and was authorized to do so to just get the car on the road as cheaply as possible?

In any event, a premature failure on a serviceable used engine that was warranted by the shop for 6 months needs to be taken care of promptly. Time to have that chat with the shop and ask them what they're going to do at this point. If they're not going to honor their workmanship and warranty, then it's time to find out what laws apply in your state for their services and pursue those avenues.

Another concern, of course, would be the devaluing of the car due to having a non-turbo engine in it. There may also be driveability issues due to a different transmission/diff due to the power on tap from the turbo engine compared to a naturally aspirated one's torque/power curve.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
So far the assumption is that the shop made what would have been an enormous mistake.

"Oops, we installed the wrong engine. If only there were hundreds of sources of info available to be sure we put the right engine in. We wondered why so many things like the intake and exhaust had to be fabricated to fit. Oh well."

I'm not buying that it's that simple. I'm certain there's more to this than what we're being told.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 PM

That's true vmaxnc, it sounds incredible to me too. All I know is that the mechanic said "oh f..k" when he opened the hood and I was told they didn't know it was a turbo. I can't believe that's the whole story myself, let me get more info and make sure of things and then I'll post back.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Paid $2,100 total? That's way cheap for an engine and labor.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:14 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times
There HAS to be more to this story than this.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinHollySprngs View Post
To make a long story short, son has 2001 Volvo S40, drove car while it overheated (should have known better obviously!), paid 2100 for replacement engine, gets car back after 3 weeks and next day car breaks down, turns out mechanic installed wrong engine type, it should have been a turbo engine. Replacement engine had 6 month warranty. Mechanic (long established local business, had been good up to this point) is giving son estimate?? Yikes, why an estimate and not an apology and no charge?? Any advice on how to handle this? Son had to get ride from coworker to get to and from work for several days, is now borrowing his grandparent's car.
One word of advice here..........Lawyer.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:21 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Paid $2,100 total? That's way cheap for an engine and labor.
Reasonable enough if it was a used motor.
My friend who owned a Volvo garage used to install used motors as the Volvo B21 and B24 motors lasted near 300,000 miles if well maintained. He never tried to pass them off as new or rebuilt.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:37 PM

Yes, it was a used motor, and that was clear to everyone and agreed on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive