Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:36 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
wrong.. The 4.6's stay alive just fine around the 500 hp level.. Thats what Harrys 10 second one had. You words were exactly this.. " When you have to FI then you picked a car with too small an engine.:. I said the ZR1 is blown.. Is that engine too small too? You are making no sense.

Plenty of sense and responded already. Only a Fool would consider some Cooter modified car to be on the same plane as one designed by the manufacturer. GM could have done it any way the wish but elected to use FI. They have the R&D to do it. You and Boss Hogg do not. So what are the long term ramifiations of that 13lbs+ of boost? I was referring to much more than just the engine. But that would ruin your argument to address that. That is the context...modified by a working man as I wrote in response to the OP.

I see in the post above you are changing the mod budget to $6k from $9k in your earlier one. Just pure misleading to buttress and impossible position.

Well 10s are still a good run no matter what. Must have been nice weather in the 40s and with good DA.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-04-2012 at 05:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 07:12 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
You are funny.. lol.. Boss hog.. It seems you really are not aware of the huge aftermarket tuners and parts suppliers and their R&D capabilities for the Mustang and you are trying to make light at something you have no idea about... It is funny though.. (bet you were not even aware Ford has blowers for the Mustang and can be installed by a dealer are you?) You really aught to do your homework before you ASSume anything.. You come up looking like a fool..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Plenty of sense and responded already. Only a Fool would consider some Cooter modified car to be on the same plane as one designed by the manufacturer. GM could have done it any way the wish but elected to use FI. They have the R&D to do it. You and Boss Hogg do not. So what are the long term ramifiations of that 13lbs+ of boost? I was referring to much more than just the engine. But that would ruin your argument to address that. That is the context...modified by a working man as I wrote in response to the OP.

I see in the post above you are changing the mod budget to $6k from $9k in your earlier one. Just pure misleading to buttress and impossible position.

Well 10s are still a good run no matter what. Must have been nice weather in the 40s and with good DA.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 AM

Funny? You are just dissassembling now. Typical Hotrodder BSing. I am glad you appreciated the Jasper, Cooter, and Boss Hogg reference.(We are all shade tree mechanics in any case) I just went by your numbers...$9k. Had better be quick for that much coin. That is import thinking...throw enough money at something and it will run fast.

Of course I knew about Ford having blowers warrantied by the manuf. The price is crazy as well. How much boost does Ford warranty for? 13lbs or so needed to run 10s..

Get real old man, just because it is C-D does not mean only folks who wet dream for their Swedish built Volvos are here.(or squirt juice on their lobster bisque interior RR)

Huge aftermarket? Perhaps but not cheap either.. Kooks headers for an LSx are about $950ish. Kooks headers for the 2011+ 5.0 are about $920ish.

If I am going to spend that much money, I will use the better and bigger engine.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-04-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 AM

556 posts, read 1,227,822 times
Friend of mine has the Ford Racing Whipple kit on his 2011 5.0 with the Ford Racing ProCal tune... drives like stock. Nice setup but a lot of money.

Lets not even talk about Kooks prices for my G8.... the connection midpipes are more expensive then the longtubes themselves. Thinking about going OBX even tho they are chinese knockoffs of kooks

Old 04-04-2012, 08:46 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Felix again, you are talking drag racing prowess with your "if you have to use a blower your engine is too small." And even then I don't buy it. You could as easily say, "if you have to use a huge engine, you don't know what you are doing." And it woudl be just as wrong as your statements. I've done both small engines (like 2 liter air cooled VWs and 1.3 liter rotaries) and large ones (like the 455 in my Pontiac and the 466 cid Lima engine in one of my Fox Mustangs) for drag racing, and about the only thing I'd consider "cheating" to make power is nitrous injection, and even then, it's proper in it's place. Your attitude towards blowers on smaller engines is, frankly, disgusting.

And again, I'm not from a drag racing background, dealing more in road racing and autocross than drag racing, and also having spent a lot of time building customs, from '50s and '60s style to modern stuff. So to me, modifying a car isn't just about making it faster, either in a straight line or in corners. Which is why I say that my list of cars that I wouldn't modify is so much shorter than my list of cars TO modify. And also why I say calling a car or engine crap because you can put a blower on it to go fast is really stupid.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 AM

Reality of hotrodding is to keep it simple for reliabilty. Especially as framed within my response to the OP. Power to weight. Less stress to the drivetrain. Less dollars to invest. More reliability. 281cid hauling around 3500lbs vs [insert larger engine from other manufacturer] hauling around 3500lbs.

I never called the 4.6 crap.[someone else did] I just said too small compared to others.

Well, I only responded to the application as framed in my response to the OP. Other folk added their own interpretation which was immaterial if responding to my conclusions. Cooter brought up the ZR1 and now you with the 455 Pontiac/466 Lima transplant, 2liter VW... But that has nothing to do with what the OP wanted. Especially from recollecting his previous posts on an intended car purchase.

"If you have to use a larger engine, the you are doing it with less wear and tear compared to a small one" is correct instead of what you wrote. Mechanical curiosities such as the 10sec air cooled VW engines are nice but who really is interested in that if a big inch NA pushrod V8 will do the same with less problems and in a nicer car?

I think you ruined whatever hot rodding credentials you are claiming by acknowledging you purchase used tires for a BMW. Come on. That is what a loser would do. Well your rant in post #26(p3) of this thread did not help any either. Enjoy your car. There always someone faster and all the hp stuff is immaterial to me now. I just knew what the kid OP was asking and gave him the info he needed.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-04-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 09:19 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
1. Evo & DSMs, both 4G63 and 4B11. Unlimited potential. They shouldn't be lumped together because they are different cars, but this is a short list.
2. FD. One of the most beautiful cars ever made. And no goofy LSX swaps either. Rotary power, ride or die.
3. NSX. Also a beautiful ride. I would love to build a white NSX Type R replica. And the radical widebody RR street car is a beast.
4. GTR. Godzilla. Nuff 'said.
5. 3000GT VR-4. The car never got the respect it deserved. Would love to have a big budget to push the envelope with one.
6. CTS-V Wagon. I got kids man.

But if you are talking about road course racing only, I'd say Evo all the way.

Last edited by Tourian; 04-04-2012 at 09:31 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 10:30 AM

556 posts, read 1,227,822 times
Nitrous is not cheating, end result it's just getting more air into the combustion chamber, Just not compressing it like forced induction. People just whine its cheating because it's 1/8th the price of their blower/turbo. I loved my nitrous setup on the GTO before I went for the naturally aspirated build.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:34 AM

running 10's with a totally street mannered car you could drive every day for about $23k is expensive? wow.. welcome to today buddy. Thats dirt cheap to run that fast.. Boy you sure need to brush up on what you can get today... You truly have no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Funny? You are just dissassembling now. Typical Hotrodder BSing. I am glad you appreciated the Jasper, Cooter, and Boss Hogg reference.(We are all shade tree mechanics in any case) I just went by your numbers...$9k. Had better be quick for that much coin. That is import thinking...throw enough money at something and it will run fast.

Of course I knew about Ford having blowers warrantied by the manuf. The price is crazy as well. How much boost does Ford warranty for? 13lbs or so needed to run 10s..

Get real old man, just because it is C-D does not mean only folks who wet dream for their Swedish built Volvos are here.(or squirt juice on their lobster bisque interior RR)

Huge aftermarket? Perhaps but not cheap either.. Kooks headers for an LSx are about $950ish. Kooks headers for the 2011+ 5.0 are about $920ish.

If I am going to spend that much money, I will use the better and bigger engine.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
Friend of mine has the Ford Racing Whipple kit on his 2011 5.0 with the Ford Racing ProCal tune... drives like stock. Nice setup but a lot of money.

Lets not even talk about Kooks prices for my G8.... the connection midpipes are more expensive then the longtubes themselves. Thinking about going OBX even tho they are chinese knockoffs of kooks
yea what is up with Kooks and their prices? Good workmanship but oh those prices..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive