Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times

Advertisements

re: frayed wires .... in my case, the rubber grommet (?) protecting the wires from the metal door frame disintegrated and the wires rubbed up against the metal every time the door was open/close over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 12:16 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
Not sure why it went down by itself.

Since the door panel is off, try to push the glass up by hand. If it goes up, the glass is somehow not connected to the regulator. You'll have to figure out why.

If it doesn't go up, with the engine running to get full voltage, hold the switch in the up position and gently tap the window motor with a small hammer or something suitable. If it goes up or at least moves, you likely have a bad motor or a bad wiring connection at the motor. Make sure you try this with both the driver's and the L/R door switches.

A window regulator has the ability to chop off a finger so be very aware when and where you put your hands inside the door.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 PM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

Since the door panel is off, try to push the glass up by hand. If it goes up, the glass is somehow not connected to the regulator. You'll have to figure out why.

If it doesn't go up, with the engine running to get full voltage, hold the switch in the up position and gently tap the window motor with a small hammer or something suitable. If it goes up or at least moves, you likely have a bad motor or a bad wiring connection at the motor. Make sure you try this with both the driver's and the L/R door switches.

A window regulator has the ability to chop off a finger so be very aware when and where you put your hands inside the door.
I tried to push the glass up, and could not.
I tried this as well, with the "up" switch pressed down.
I wasn't aggressive with this pushing, but tried to help it get going with gentle to moderate effort.

I'll check the wiring around the door hinge, and try tapping the motor with a hammer.
Does each door window have it's own motor?

Old 04-02-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
...Does each door window have it's own motor?
Yes

Old 04-02-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:

I drove this car March 31st. When I want some air flow on my side of the car on the highway, the best source is the RIGHT rear window. Opening the left rear window sends alot of air flow to the passenger side.
It is possible that I lowered the left rear window by mistake, when I thought I was lowering the right rear window.
If this is what happened, then my actions lowered the window.

And
I did not raise it before getting out of the car.
I locked the car and did not go back to the car until today.
I noticed the window down, and discovered it won't go up.

In the above scenario, it did not go down by itself. Unless it fell.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
...In the above scenario, it did not go down by itself. Unless it fell.
Makes more sense now.

Sometimes a problem will give a warning, like working intermittently. Sometimes it won't. Sounds like yours may have failed without any warning.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Makes more sense now.

Sometimes a problem will give a warning, like working intermittently. Sometimes it won't. Sounds like yours may have failed without any warning.
I see a metal rod that extends, down, to the bottom on the frame-track-brace that holds the glass. This rod is not exactly perpendicular to level. When the switch is pressed this rod moves ever so slightly toward the steering wheel. If it was trying to raise the window, it seems that this rod would be trying to pull upward and become more rigid.

I guess it is trying to raise the rod, even though it looks like the rod is pushing down.

The door panel and all the plastic stuff glued around the edges has been removed. I'm not clearly seeing the plastic clips that have been mentioned.

So, it looks like the motor is trying to raise the window.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Replacing power window motor / regulator is easy. - The Galant Center

That says the window must be up. And the motor has 3 screws and the regulator has 4. That is for a 2002 Galant.

Mine is a 1996.
My window is down, I do not see 4 screws anywhere, and my motor does appear to have 3 screws. It looks like me motor may not be able to be removed with the window down. Not sure.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
http://i.ebayimg.com/18/!BvUte6QB2k~$(KGrHqQOKj!EvPQsZF9lBMEEcEskGw~~_3.JP G

The image clearly indicates the 4 mount points (note that one of the screws is missing in the image).

Old 04-05-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
http://i.ebayimg.com/18/!BvUte6QB2k~$(KGrHqQOKj!EvPQsZF9lBMEEcEskGw~~_3.JP G

The image clearly indicates the 4 mount points (note that one of the screws is missing in the image).
That image and link are not loading with Internet Explorer or Firefox.

I'll post a photo of my door frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive