Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,960,691 times

Advertisements

Yea no doubt a plane. Where in the world were you looking that you were getting fares that high!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 07:47 PM

993 posts, read 1,554,056 times
@sunsprit: Thanks for the info!

@stealthrabbit: I take back my previous post - this was actually the best response yet. Mostly, I want to go to Denver because it seems like an ideal location for someone like me. But I do have a few friends who live in Boulder which isn't too far (like a 40 minute drive, I was told). And I've already talked to a few people who may hire me down there.

I'll look into the CL option, but I would be a little weary of that. It's a shame, too, because that would be ideal if it weren't for all the shady people on that site.

And I'm heading down at the end of the month.

@flymia: When I looked on the US Airways site, the lowest price they offered for a one-way ticket was $860. Maybe it's because I plan to leave in just a few weeks?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,608,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
This probably sounds like the world's dumbest question, but I'm just curious if there's something I'm overlooking.

I'm a 19 year old who wants to move from Seattle to Denver. My parents, who live in Philly, aren't financially supporting me anymore, so I'm on my own. Luckily, I don't have too much to move. Just a few suitcases and my cat.

Driving seems like it would be my best bet, but buying a car is kinda complicated and rental companies don't really rent to people under 25. I could fly, but one-way tickets are $800+.

Are there any other options? Or should I just suck it up and pay for plane ticket?
Just buy a round trip ticket on whatever day pairs are the cheapest, and then don't fly the second part of the ticket.

Edit: I just did a quick flight search and I'm seeing $153 each way.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 PM

Great! I'll look into it.

I still think it doesn't make any sense that airlines charge so much more for a one-way ticket, but whatever.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,610 posts, read 57,588,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Just buy a round trip ticket on whatever day pairs are the cheapest, and then don't fly the second part of the ticket.

Edit: I just did a quick flight search and I'm seeing $153 each way.
SWA is $130 OW as far out as I see (all their fares are one-way, and you can open a calender and pick the cheapest days to fly), bags fly free, you can change for NO FEE, (You get a 100% credit for first ticket, and have 1yr from date of purchase to complete travel.) When SWA offers a promotion I buy tickets, If I get to fly, ok, if I don't I just use it next trip.

SWA @ Denver and Seattle / Portland is EZ

Have a great time in Boulder, I spent many a night there when I was age 15 - 18, (I grew up in Estes Park and Masonville ~ 1 hr north / NW of Boulder.) (I miss the Frostline Kits, and still wear my Frostline vest and down coat, made from kit while in Jr High school). Colorado is a great place, just too crowded now for me to return, tho I would do WY in a heartbeat.

Jobs... cost of living... you will probably have better luck heading toward Niwot and Longmont. Just stay on a bus route that will serve Boulder (for frequent fun). Eventually, Boulder can wear on you and you may have to leave. I think Colorado Springs is a real sleeper of a nice community, but there are many DIVERSE choices in Colorado. If you want to get to live in the mtns, consider Glenwood Springs and Carbondale. (Or Durango, , it is a bit far away). Age 16 - 25 I saw about every inche of Colorado Highway, via Motorcycle, bicycle. It can be a great place to spend some time. But, I think you will miss the GREEN of the evergreen state. (just July > April).

But, One-way back to Seattle on SWA is Cheap and FAST. Bring Salmon and Berries to Colorado, I swap that for good praririe BEEF !! (Coolers fly free on SWA ) I LUV SWA, even tho I have a zillion free miles on UA and Delta.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,610 posts, read 57,588,206 times
[quote=sade693;23687062...I'll look into the CL option, but I would be a little weary of that. It's a shame, too, because that would be ideal if it weren't for all the shady people on that site.
[/QUOTE]

There are some creative ways to screen CL and rideshare folks and get references. About 99% will be fine and hopefully you can screen the weirdos. I also do a form of couchsurfing for the last 25+ yrs (Private guest homes) there are lots of them in Colorado. See if you can find a rental room in a house of an older couple. They will treat you like gold and enjoy the company, and it is very safe. I have a retired friend in Niwot / Lafayette that is doing that (renting a room to a younger person).

I suggest leaving the cat home until you get settled. It could be a real pain to accomidate while you're looking for job / housing. You can ship the cat LATER very EZ on CL.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:49 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,541,556 times
The cheapest days to fly are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, so keep that in mind.

Southwest would be my only choice in flying from SEA-DEN; no charge for luggage, and the best on-time record in the industry among the five largest air carriers.

Their best-in-the-industry website is also a cakewalk, which is undoubtedly why they sell 70% of their airline tickets online.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM

Wow, I wonder why my family never used SWA before. I guess it's because we have a ton of free miles with other airlines, like you StealthRabbit, because of all my dad's business trips.

Anyway, looks like I'm flying. I love, love , love the idea of staying with a family for a little bit, but I may be able to stay with one of my buddies for a short while before he goes home for summer vacation. If not, I found some cheap but decent motels that are pet-friendly.

Thank you all so much! You have no idea how much you helped this lost, little girl.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:11 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,933,450 times
Flying is definitely going to be the easiest, and the cheapest if you plan right.

When it comes to life in Denver, you're either going to have to learn their public transit system quickly, or budget to buy a car. A budget of $5000 could buy you a good car -- older Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus. Many reliable, practical cars. You could also buy several impractical cars (Miatas, motorcycles) for that price range.

Good luck in Denver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive