Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:19 PM

76 posts, read 687,519 times

Advertisements

I noticed a small drip under the car a week ago. I took it to my mechanic, he said it's an oil leak from the main seal and that I'd cost $1,000 to fix. The car isn't worth fixing, but still runs fine. He said to keep an eye the oil level.

Since there are very small drips on the cardboard that I put under the car every night, I believe the car is still driveable for a while.

Has any else had a long-term oil leak and use their car for months or even years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecny View Post
...he said it's an oil leak from the main seal

Has any else had a long-term oil leak and use their car for months or even years?
Yes along with *millions* of others.

Keep a few quarts on board at all times and as recommended start actually check your oil every other fill up.
Look for a rate of change (eg: 1 quart low every 10 weeks) and then look for changes in that.
And yeah, you still need to change the oil and filter.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
What car is this? Most older Detroit cars, and Lord knows most Brit cars do leak some oil. I have put hundreds of thousands of miles on cars that leaked a little oil out the main seal. The car may be burning more oil than it's leaking, and could still be perfectly servicable for many years. People who grew up with modern Japanese cars tend to think any need to add oil between changes is a sure sign of a mechanical Armageddon - it's not. I have an old Chevy that burns/leaks about a quart per 500 miles, while it will smoke quite a bit on initial startup if it's been sitting a while, after the valve guide seals warm up and get oiled up good, it quits smoking, and runs fine. Don't use it much as even 17 MPG is not good for a car in this day of $4 gas, but it remains a usable spare car.

Something to think about, I have had good luck with Castrol High Mileage (green bottle) oil reducing some oil leaks.

Main seal probably won't be affected, but do make sure the PCV system is working right, it should keep a partial vacuum on the crankcase and thus minimize oil leakage.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:45 PM

76 posts, read 687,519 times
M3 mitch, it's a 1989 Olds with the 3.8L

Old 04-04-2012, 06:56 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,184,699 times
There's a product from Gunk called Bearin' Seal - it's not a miracle worker but it will swell a rear main or oil pan rear seal up to 3%.

I used to sell in the aftermarket years ago and people did actually see results on older engines - or you may just go with a thicker oil.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:56 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Almost certainly you can drive this car many years with the oil leak not getting much worse, if it gets worse at all.

Do check out the PCV and consider the Castrol oil (it has a seal swell additive added at the factory, the Castrol engineers have worked out what kind and how much, as opposed to adding your own "snake oil" - although some oil leak reducing aftermarket additives do a good job as well.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times
Had a buddy drive an old truck of mine 290k miles with a bad rear main seal for at least 1/2 those miles. Truck ran low on oil and fried the motor (he lent it to someone that didn't follow orders). Leak got so bad it would need a quart every time you filled the tank! He would go a year between oil changes, figured the 4 fresh quarts a month kept the oil pretty clean!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
Tons of cars driving around like that. Definitely make sure the PCV system is clean.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM

987 posts, read 1,387,042 times
Quote:
I noticed a small drip under the car a week ago. I took it to my mechanic, he said it's an oil leak from the main seal and that I'd cost $1,000 to fix. The car isn't worth fixing, but still runs fine. He said to keep an eye the oil level.

Since there are very small drips on the cardboard that I put under the car every night, I believe the car is still driveable for a while.

I've lived in the Philippines for 14 yrs now and own a 1979 restored Toyota Corolla and has had plenty of oil leaks. I just take her to a nearby auto shop to replace all of her leaking oil seals and she's good to go for a few more months or years! Fortunately labor here in the Philippines is inexpensive!
Attachment 93408

Last edited by Art2ro; 06-02-2012 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,373,305 times
Quote:

Yes. Many times.

Watch your oil level carefully, to determine how much oil you're losing over how any miles. If you're only losing a quart between oil changes you're good to go. Double that, and you're on your way to having to make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive