Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 11:31 AM

285 posts, read 262,357 times

Advertisements

Less detailed/shorter version: Had this car since February, looking at new tires finally since the treads running low. Should I get cheap all season ones or good winter specific/expensive ones?

More detailed/longer version: Like it says above, I bought the car in Feb. It's my first car and I don't know much about tires. I live in MN and know the winters here can be brutal. It's July now and I know I have time but the tires do need replacing. I just don't know what type to get.

I can't go around spending cash on one set then go ahead and buy winter tires, I don't make that kind of money. I don't know if that's even a smart move. But I need advice. I see cheaper tires online for $50 per tire. Then I see more expensive Michelins for $150. I see some for $170, winter type. Then others for $111. I really don't know which to get.

I also don't know if I should even get tires now! Like I said, moneys tight. I am trying to save to afford the six months of car insurance so that's six months I don't have to think about. But with winter a few months away, I don't want to be caught with the wrong tires.

So my question is if I were to get tires, should I go for the cheaper ones or the more expensive type? Then should I get winter tires now or just wait until later in the year and get winter tires as my new set?

I drive to a city 70 miles away from me every once in a while. Usually twice a month, to see my brothers as they live there. My car is a 1996 Dodge Intrepid.

If I go with getting tires, is it safe to wait until September? That's when I am also going another 65 miles away to get my front brakes done. If you're wonder why I'm going so far, it's because my uncles a mechanic and only charges me the parts costs to do any repairs. And I left the brake pads with him...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 11:35 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,078,805 times
how long are you planning to keep the car?

Sounds like you are inches away from being dirt broke....a bit scary. I never skimp on tires. Its a insurance to keep you safe especially in a inclement weather like MN

Old 07-01-2016, 11:43 AM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
1. where do you live? Florida does not need winter tires or lugs, Minnesota does.
2. How many miles on current tires? Why you even decided you need them? Invest into jackstand and do your own tire rotation, will double tire life.
3. even if you must have new tires, locate a Mexican or other junk yard tire place and buy set of USED QUALITY tires there. Quality meaning - good all season tires with winter lug built in. Like my Yokohamas do.
4. What exactly car is it?

Old 07-01-2016, 11:44 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
How bad are the tires now? Too many people drive around on bald tires which are unsafe in the dry and wet. If you wait, you may regret it if they are already bad. And don't buy winter tires for summer and fall use, as they are soft compound to work in the snow and ice and will wear out almost instantly in warmer summer and fall use.

If you're on a tight budget go find a good used tire place and get a set of lightly used, but good condition tires for cheap. I've been in that position in the past and it's always been a good deal. You may be able to get a set of good all seasons for your car for about $25-30 each and then save up for winter tires for the bad months.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:45 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
1. where do you live? Florida does not need winter tires or lugs, Minnesota does.
2. How many miles on current tires? Why you even decided you need them? Invest into jackstand and do your own tire rotation, will double tire life.
3. even if you must have new tires, locate a Mexican or other junk yard tire place and buy set of USED QUALITY tires there. Quality meaning - good all season tires with winter lug built in. Like my Yokohamas do.
4. What exactly car is it?
He answered both of those questions in the original post.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:34 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
These Continentals are some of the best all season tires you can get and cheaper than Michelins.
Continental*ExtremeContact DWS 06

Old 07-01-2016, 02:32 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
If you live where you see a lot of snow and don't want the expense, storage issue, and fuss of winter wheels, the Nokian WRG3 is probably the best alternative. It's an all season tire but it has the severe service/mountain emblem so it's also a snow tire. It has a lot of siping cuts so it's pretty good on black ice. I have quite a few friends with big midweek commutes and an every-weekend drive to the ski resort who use them.

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wrg3/

Here is the Consumer Reports write-up:
Nokian WR G3 Winter Tires Review - Consumer Reports News

As you'd expect, there are plenty of places to buy them in Minnesota.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:33 PM

285 posts, read 262,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
how long are you planning to keep the car?

Sounds like you are inches away from being dirt broke....a bit scary. I never skimp on tires. Its a insurance to keep you safe especially in a inclement weather like MN
I am already dirt broke to be honest. I make JUST enough to get by. I just accepted a new job, however, and will be starting one in September that'll just me more than enough money to make my life actually worth living.

In terms of keeping the car, I plan on keeping it until February. That why I should have enough money for a better vehicle that'll last me a considerable amount of time.

Quote:
How bad are the tires now? Too many people drive around on bald tires which are unsafe in the dry and wet. If you wait, you may regret it if they are already bad. And don't buy winter tires for summer and fall use, as they are soft compound to work in the snow and ice and will wear out almost instantly in warmer summer and fall use.

If you're on a tight budget go find a good used tire place and get a set of lightly used, but good condition tires for cheap. I've been in that position in the past and it's always been a good deal. You may be able to get a set of good all seasons for your car for about $25-30 each and then save up for winter tires for the bad months.
My tires are, from what I was told during an inspection, just bad. I don't remember the exact numbers but I was told I should get new tires before winter comes. So I'm assuming crash worthy.

I didn't know they sell used tires. I figured that wasn't a thing due to the safety standards. I'll really look into those as I truly am tight on money.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:58 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
  • How many miles if any are left on the current tires? (I am assuming a few hundred...)
  • What is your tire 'budget'? I am assuming as little as possible...but no junky tires
  • Tire size?
  • Type of car...how is it in winter? (FWD or RWD etc.)
  • How many miles will you drive til you get rid of car circa February? ?? If a few thousand miles (less than 10k for sure...preferably fewer than that but?) between now and then, I think a mid/lower priced winter tire might work. It could wear faster than summer tires (and all seasons...) by as much as 50% so mileage used/required is important. Your gas mileage will be lower too by maybe 10% or more.
General and Cooper are two brands that may be worth a look there are others of course. Many tire dealers and stores will have economy brands. Also try to find someone who will offer closeout pricing...call around to local dealers once you know what you are generally interested in...size, type, budget.

Look online at tire rack.com to get an idea of tires and prices. It is free to look.

If you buy them locally (probably the best bet) you can get them rotated for free after 3-5000 miles or so and that will help them last longer. Be sure they include this in tire prices as well as balancing, mounting, taxes, disposal fees etc. Shopping a bit online will educate you on all this.

Good luck.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:03 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
I didn't know they sell used tires. I figured that wasn't a thing due to the safety standards. I'll really look into those as I truly am tight on money.
Yeah, check Craigslist too. Plenty of people out there who switch out rims/tires from factory when they get a new car to get something better and then sell the originals for cheap. Of course factory tires don't tend to be the best in winter either but would certainly be better than what you have.

Just grab your tire size off the side of them and plug that in to a search. May even find someone unloading a winter set from a car they sold in the middle of summer for a steal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive