Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:56 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I always park away from others in the spot that is the last in the row and I've had this happen numerous times. No biggie to me but I drive what I'm sure some would consider a "beater". Honestly I don't care but I would never spend money on a vehicle like a Corvette or any other "status" vehicle. They are not practical and too many worries about someone else causing damage but that is my preference. In my opinion if you are that concerned over any possible damage to the vehicle either don't drive it or don't own it.
I could care less what someone drives and even when I drive my F-150, I always park away from everyone else. Nobody seems to harass my truck when I park at the end of the lot. I just don't care for scratches/dings/dents on ANY of my vehicles. I respect everyone else who feels the same no matter what vehicle they drive.

Quote:
Anyway my mother went to a Grocery store for a few things and parked the car by itself away from the store near the front sidewalk away from all the other cars. She later comes out and there is a shopping cart next to the drivers door leaving a nice big ding in it. Parking lot was not the flattest but still the car was far away from the store front. Some imbeciles are still out there.
That's terrible, some of these people don't even deserve to be on the streets. Where has the respect gone for other's property?! Just because someone is jealous doesn't mean they need to damage someone else's vehicle to make themselves feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
31...I've dealt with jack***es before but I've never had something like THIS happen. I've had beaters park right NEXT to my vehicles but I've never had someone park so that I can't ENTER my vehicle from my driver's door.

Completely agree.

The only people that seem to do it are those who are jealous of someone else's success. It's always done by someone in some POS, you never find people who drive nice cars trying to find someone to mess with like this.

Jealous of someone else's success.......that's laughable to me. Those of us who could care less about someone else's success are not jealous of anything that others have or do. Success is not generally measured in how much stuff one has (again, my opinion). I'm certainly not jealous of anyone who has a vehicle that costs more in a month than some people make in salary in a month but their success is measured perhaps by having no debt and actually owning free and clear all that they do have. Maybe their success is measured by the fact that they can feed their families every day and not count on welfare, or their child just got over a major illness and lived another day because they are fighting leukemia. Blanket statements covering "everyone being jealous" is quite arrogant in my opinion and your misguided idea that "people who drive nice cars don't mess with people like this" is definitely wrong. The first "ding" I ever got in one of my vehicles was from a guy who had a high dollar, high end BMW and he backed into the left rear quarter panel of my "beater" suburban and just drove off. He found out later it is not nice to do that to me since I got his plate number and called in a report and he was arrested and ticketed for leaving the scene of an accident, not filing an accident report that caused physical damage, DUI and wreckless driving, darn his luck that day.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Why didn't you help the Civic owner with their tape problem?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Jealous of someone else's success.......that's laughable to me. Those of us who could care less about someone else's success are not jealous of anything that others have or do. Success is not generally measured in how much stuff one has (again, my opinion). I'm certainly not jealous of anyone who has a vehicle that costs more in a month than some people make in salary in a month but their success is measured perhaps by having no debt and actually owning free and clear all that they do have. Maybe their success is measured by the fact that they can feed their families every day and not count on welfare, or their child just got over a major illness and lived another day because they are fighting leukemia. Blanket statements covering "everyone being jealous" is quite arrogant in my opinion and your misguided idea that "people who drive nice cars don't mess with people like this" is definitely wrong. The first "ding" I ever got in one of my vehicles was from a guy who had a high dollar, high end BMW and he backed into the left rear quarter panel of my "beater" suburban and just drove off. He found out later it is not nice to do that to me since I got his plate number and called in a report and he was arrested and ticketed for leaving the scene of an accident, not filing an accident report that caused physical damage, DUI and wreckless driving, darn his luck that day.
I think you're missing the point, I could care less what others drive but I DO have a problem when someone disrespects my property and goes out of their way to harass it. I'm minding my own business, I park away because I don't WANT to get backed into or get a ding from someone's door. I park way in the back of the lot where nobody else is, I only take up ONE parking space, and I walk up to the store. My problem is when someone feels the need to be a complete jack*** and park so I can't get my driver's door open when I'm CLEARLY not bothering anyone else by parking at the end of the lot.

And generally, this only happens when one person has a nice vehicle and the other person drives a beater. I mean I would been more shocked than anything if the person who did this was driving a Bentley and decided to block my driver's door.

I don't like it when someone driving something nice feels the need to take up TWO parking spaces when one would suffice, this even irks me a bit. But when someone parks away so they don't need to be next to others, I feel that should be respected.

Quote:
Why didn't you help the Civic owner with their tape problem?
I wanted to do more than that, I carry a 9mm Glock in my glovebox whenever I leave the house (concealed carry permit). I was tempted to take it out and shoot his tires out but I KNEW this would've gotten me in more trouble than it's worth. Actually I wanted to empty the entire clip into it but I forced myself to just get in and drive off.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I could care less what someone drives and even when I drive my F-150, I always park away from everyone else. Nobody seems to harass my truck when I park at the end of the lot. I just don't care for scratches/dings/dents on ANY of my vehicles. I respect everyone else who feels the same no matter what vehicle they drive.

That's terrible, some of these people don't even deserve to be on the streets. Where has the respect gone for other's property?! Just because someone is jealous doesn't mean they need to damage someone else's vehicle to make themselves feel better.

Probably because when someone sees a truck at the end of the lot, they don't think "ah, that guy thinks he's special in his shiny sports car"...When I drove my old firebird in high school, I'd park at the very very back of the lot, and take up four spaces...I was never harassed, but could understand it if I had been...but hey, I was in highschool..and my car was COOL

Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
If someone does that to me, I make sure to give them an extra ding on their car. Serves them right for not being able to park a car or being a douche. Usually use a sharp corner on the door that won't hurt my car.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:56 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Parking like that screams "I'm special", especially if you were in a lot full of other nice cars. As far as the message it sends, it's not a whole lot different than the car taking up two spaces. For some people it's practically an open invitation to try to take someone down a peg or two.
I think that you are probably lucky the guy only wanted to prove a point by parking so close instead of keying the car.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
I think some people get off on doing that type of thing. As an example, what happened to you was obviously intentional. What really irritates me about that kind of thing isn't even as much the action, as the thought that the person responsible for the action gets some sort of sick satisfaction out of screwing with random people. There's something wrong with a person who thinks like that.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
You should have called the cops, then have the person paged over the store intercom.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:11 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
A few weeks ago, I had driven my 17 year olds beater Camry to work so I could see what might be wrong with it. Work parking lot is always jammed as it shares with numerous retail stores and a busy medical clinic. A guy in a Lexus SUV has purposefully taken 2 spots and their are no spots left at all.

I see him and ask him to move over. He tells me to f**k myself. Wrong answer.
I proceeded to back in so that my passenger side was within an inch from his driver's side. I was entirely within the lines for my parking spot...
He starts screaming at me, yelling about my P.O.S. and that he is going to "kick my a55".
he was like 60 years old and 5 foot 4. I am 6 foot 2. I laughed and said "Take a swing at me." By this time, several people were watching and they were all yelling things at HIM.
They thanked me for taking a stand against the a55hole.

He fumed and ran around for like an an hour before he finally crawled in through the passenger side and slinked away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive