Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
While I'm sure the pony car would provide some enjoyment, I'd rather have the sports car long term. Already having two Vettes though, if I were looking for a late model I'd probably want a Viper.
Been in a Viper many years ago, would NEVER want to own one. Talk about the most uncomfortable, cheap, and difficult vehicle to drive...the Viper really takes the cake! It's a nice car to look at but it's not easy or fun to drive like most other sports cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 10:32 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Talk about the most uncomfortable, cheap, and difficult vehicle to drive...the Viper really takes the cake! It's a nice car to look at but it's not easy or fun to drive like most other sports cars.
The exact reasons why Vipers have such a following... they are a purist sports car, no electronic nannys (new model will have them due to government mandate), nothing to save your ass... just a big ass motor and a transmission driving the rear wheels. I would love to own one.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
The exact reasons why Vipers have such a following... they are a purist sports car, no electronic nannys (new model will have them due to government mandate), nothing to save your ass... just a big ass motor and a transmission driving the rear wheels. I would love to own one.
I'm not sure it would even classify as a sports car in a general sense, it's more of a two-seat muscle car than anything. It's really easy to let the rear-end slip away from you when punch it. The oversteer is atrocious and the brakes are subpar compared to most other vehicles with this much power.

I like the looks from the exterior but I'd never own one, it really does feel like you've been beat to Hell after a drive in one.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,439 times
Older Vettes aren't exactly known for their comfort, and I feel comfortable in mine. I still eventually want a Viper. When I want to be extra comfortable I can drive my Lincoln or Caddy. Maybe it's just that I'm still young enough to not mind it.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:31 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
I remember when the Viper came out now that car used a truck engine. I like the looks of the coupe but I don't like sitting in it myself.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,139,439 times
How about a SSC Aero, what do those go for?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:18 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I'm not sure it would even classify as a sports car in a general sense, it's more of a two-seat muscle car than anything. It's really easy to let the rear-end slip away from you when punch it. The oversteer is atrocious and the brakes are subpar compared to most other vehicles with this much power.

I like the looks from the exterior but I'd never own one, it really does feel like you've been beat to Hell after a drive in one.
I never had that problem after driving a GTS. This is me in my buddy's GTS:

I'd own one in a heartbeat. I didn't find it hard to drive at all, but then I've driven race cars on the street. It's supposed to be a modern Cobra, which was really just a skin and barest interior around a honking big engine, big brakes, and big tires. it was born when Robert Lutz was driving his Cobra replica around and said, "why doesn't anyone build a raw car like this anymore? Let's do it!" The interior was basically a flat panel to hold the important gauges, much like the original Cobra. If you're looking for refinement and a Euroluxury car interior, you're simply looking in the wrong place.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I remember when the Viper came out now that car used a truck engine. I like the looks of the coupe but I don't like sitting in it myself.
No, it used an engine based on the layout of the truck V10, but it was entirely engineered in alumimum by Lamborghini. It shares as much with a Dodge V10 truck engine as the original Cobra's 427 shared with a Ford 390 cid truck V8 (same architecture and they bolt into the same place, but different engines)

Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I never had that problem after driving a GTS. This is me in my buddy's GTS:

I'd own one in a heartbeat. I didn't find it hard to drive at all, but then I've driven race cars on the street. It's supposed to be a modern Cobra, which was really just a skin and barest interior around a honking big engine, big brakes, and big tires. it was born when Robert Lutz was driving his Cobra replica around and said, "why doesn't anyone build a raw car like this anymore? Let's do it!" The interior was basically a flat panel to hold the important gauges, much like the original Cobra. If you're looking for refinement and a Euroluxury car interior, you're simply looking in the wrong place.
The Viper I drove was a late 90's model and I drove it probably 4-5 years ago when a friend of mine bought one at an auction for relatively cheap.

The biggest problem I had was the steering feel, I just never felt like I was in control of the vehicle. It didn't feel "tight" and whenever I gunned it, I always felt like that rear-end was going to get away from me. Like you said; it had a big engine, cheap interior, and was meant to basically be a modern Cobra. I would digress on the brakes, I felt they weren't adequate for the amount of power this car had, I had to push my foot in to really get the braking I wanted.

I remember going into the mountains around Phoenix with my friend and I was never comfortable around the curves with the Viper, I didn't feel as if I could accelerate into the curves but rather needed to decelerate in order to not lose control. It was plenty fast though and the engine sounded wonderful but I guess it's just not a vehicle I'd want to drive often.

My Corvette doesn't have the best steering feel either but I feel comfortable in the curves with it, I never feel as if the rear is going to sway out or anything. The best steering feel is definitely in a Porsche though, it's absolutely wonderful how the car responds behind the wheel.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:42 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
No, it used an engine based on the layout of the truck V10, but it was entirely engineered in alumimum by Lamborghini. It shares as much with a Dodge V10 truck engine as the original Cobra's 427 shared with a Ford 390 cid truck V8 (same architecture and they bolt into the same place, but different engines)

The centerpiece of the car was its engine. It was based on the Chrysler LA design, which was a truck engine. The original configuration made it too heavy for sports car use, so Lamborghini, then owned by Chrysler Corporation, revamped Dodge's cast-iron block V10 for the Viper by recasting the block and head in aluminum alloy. Some within Chrysler felt the pushrod two-valve design, while adequate for the truck application, was unsuitable for a performance car and suggested a more comprehensive redesign which would have included four valves per cylinder. Chrysler, however, was uncertain about the Viper's production costs and sales potential and so declined to provide the budget for the modification.
Dodge Viper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive