Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM

51 posts, read 219,674 times

Advertisements

I recently took a driver improvement course/test and am completely dumbfounded at some of the questions I got wrong. I'm hoping someone can explain the answers, because I can't understand them. BTW, I passed the test.

These were multiple choice and I can't remember all the answer options, sorry. I only have access to what I got wrong.

1) A motorist, stopped at an intersection, notices a car in the oncoming lane making a left-hand turn. Who has the right-of-way?

I answered that the motorist stopped at the intersection has the right-of-way.
The correct answer is: The motorist making the left-hand turn.
How is that correct? Under VA law, the motorist who reaches the intersection first has the right-of-way. If anything, it seems like some pertinent information was left out of the question.

2) You are making a left turn from a two-way street into a one-way street. When you have completed the turn your car should be in which lane:

I thought (and still think) this is a trick question because a one lane road only has one lane. I picked: In the center lane of the street.
The correct answer is: In any lane as long as it is safe.

WTF? I live in an area where we have several one lane roads and this question makes no sense. A one lane road only has one lane. I can't possibly drive along the left or right sides because people always park along the sides. The only place to drive is in the center.

I went back and looked at the driver improvement course material (something I didn't actually look at before I took the test) and it states the following: "Many city streets, especially one-way streets, have two or more lanes in one direction. Stay in the center lane when your destination is “down the road a ways”. Move to the left or right lane when you are about a block or so from your turn." It does not state that the proper lane to be in is "any lane as long as it is safe." To me, that qualifies as a trick question. But to me, a one lane road only has one lane, so that whole thing seems like bullcrap too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
on your second question, it says "one way" road, not "one lane" road. A one WAY road can have multiple lanes.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
1) presents insufficient data. What is the reason why the driver is stopped at the intersection, and what are the traffic controls at the intersection? If both motorists are subject to the same controls (e.g., stop sign), then there are two reasons why you have the right of way. You arrived first at the intersection, and traffic proceeding straight ahead has the right of way over turning traffic.

2) is one of the most often violated traffic laws, by nearly all drivers. When making ANY turn, you are required to turn into the nearest lane of traffic in the direction of the turn. In the case of this question, you need to left turn into the left-most traffic lane of the street your are turning into. The exception would be if there are two or more designated turning lanes, in which case you need to leave a lane free for any driver that may be turning from the lane to the left of you.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:31 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,478 times
I'm not a VA driver but I always thought cars making left turns had to yield to cars going straight or turning right unless it's the case of a 4 way stop.

I should prolly look into this cuz I end up yielding a lot and waiting a lot of time.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:55 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
The correct answer to all questions is, "80 miles per hour is considered reckless driving on all Interstates in Virginia."

Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The correct answer to all questions is, "80 miles per hour is considered reckless driving on all Interstates in Virginia."
...........and radar detectors are illegal.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
You misread the question about lanes!

And, did you know the only way to get out of a turn lane is to turn, or be towed...once you're in the lane, you're not allowed to merge back into traffic....it's a citable offense! Make the turn, then turn around and try again!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:44 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blublu View Post
I recently took a driver improvement course/test and am completely dumbfounded at some of the questions I got wrong. I'm hoping someone can explain the answers, because I can't understand them. BTW, I passed the test.

These were multiple choice and I can't remember all the answer options, sorry. I only have access to what I got wrong.

1) A motorist, stopped at an intersection, notices a car in the oncoming lane making a left-hand turn. Who has the right-of-way?

I answered that the motorist stopped at the intersection has the right-of-way.
The correct answer is: The motorist making the left-hand turn.
How is that correct? Under VA law, the motorist who reaches the intersection first has the right-of-way. If anything, it seems like some pertinent information was left out of the question.

2) You are making a left turn from a two-way street into a one-way street. When you have completed the turn your car should be in which lane:

I thought (and still think) this is a trick question because a one lane road only has one lane. I picked: In the center lane of the street.
The correct answer is: In any lane as long as it is safe.

WTF? I live in an area where we have several one lane roads and this question makes no sense. A one lane road only has one lane. I can't possibly drive along the left or right sides because people always park along the sides. The only place to drive is in the center.
For number 1, I wonder if it means you are stopped at the intersection, and facing you, in motion, is a car making a left-hand turn (not merely signaling to turn left). In this case, your car is at rest, the car that is in motion and in the intersection already has right of way. Otherwise, you are correct that first to the intersection has right-of-way.

For number 2, it's been pointed out that the question is about one-way streets, and you pretty obviously mistook it to mean one-lane street.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:44 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You misread the question about lanes!

And, did you know the only way to get out of a turn lane is to turn, or be towed...once you're in the lane, you're not allowed to merge back into traffic....it's a citable offense! Make the turn, then turn around and try again!
Is that only in Virginia? Which state(s) have that rule?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive