Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:32 AM

529 posts, read 1,651,187 times

Advertisements

Acura TSX wagon is pretty nice. Wish it was rwd or awd though.

What I find strange is that hatchbacks are becoming cool again but wagons are still uncool. The problem is that the hatchbacks are only available in compact cars. Midsize or larger cars are pretty much only sedans.

Isn't Dodge rumored to be bringing the Magnum back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 07:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
Isn't Dodge rumored to be bringing the Magnum back?
There have been rumors leaking out of Dodge for about a year now over the possible return of the Magnum and a matching SRT version. According to interviews with Dodge execs the decision to kill it was a very unpopular move made by a single executive that is no longer with the company.

Folks have already clearly stated the very correct position that wagons are simply unpopular in the US and have been for sometime. Part of it is the stigma associated with them, but the other more direct cause was the creation of CAFE standards that lumped wagons in with cars.

Manufacturers couldn't meet the standards in fullsized wagons with V8 power so they started developing vehicles that met the definition of a light truck, hence the birth of the SUV and minivan. Chrysler was one of the best at this and both the Magnum and non-convertible PT Cruiser were both classed as light trucks according to CAFE. The Magnum so as to not hurt their car compliance and the PT Cruiser to help offset the low mileage on all the Rams and Durangos they sold.

Now that the CAFE standards have changed to be based on wheelbase and GVW and not some cookie cutter "type", there is room for wagons again, but people don't seem to really want them outside of compact hatchbacks which are gaining a little in popularity. Unlike the rest of the world Americans have always preferred the look of sedans.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
There have been rumors leaking out of Dodge for about a year now over the possible return of the Magnum and a matching SRT version. According to interviews with Dodge execs the decision to kill it was a very unpopular move made by a single executive that is no longer with the company.

Folks have already clearly stated the very correct position that wagons are simply unpopular in the US and have been for sometime. Part of it is the stigma associated with them, but the other more direct cause was the creation of CAFE standards that lumped wagons in with cars.

Manufacturers couldn't meet the standards in fullsized wagons with V8 power so they started developing vehicles that met the definition of a light truck, hence the birth of the SUV and minivan. Chrysler was one of the best at this and both the Magnum and non-convertible PT Cruiser were both classed as light trucks according to CAFE. The Magnum so as to not hurt their car compliance and the PT Cruiser to help offset the low mileage on all the Rams and Durangos they sold.

Now that the CAFE standards have changed to be based on wheelbase and GVW and not some cookie cutter "type", there is room for wagons again, but people don't seem to really want them outside of compact hatchbacks which are gaining a little in popularity. Unlike the rest of the world Americans have always preferred the look of sedans.
Most Americans don't care for the look of the wagon bodystyle but almost all automotive journalists I've ever read seem to love wagons more than anything else! Strikes me as odd...

I'm not a fan of the look but I guess if someone wanted to give me a CTS-V Wagon...well I wouldn't turn it down.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
IMHO, wagons are still around. It's just that some manufacturers call them 'crossovers' now to keep away from whatever stigma that may still be associated to the term. But really, if you compare a Ford LTD Country Squire wagon to a Ford FLEX, my bet is that the dimensions and proportions would be amazingly similar. So, stretching the definition a bit, you come up with almost every manufacturer having some sort of wagon.

GM: Caddy CTS wagon or SRX
Ford: Flex
Dodge: Journey
Toyota: Venza
Honda: Crosstour (*shudder*)
Acura: TSX wagon
Subaru: Outback, Forester, Tribeca
Any European manufacturer: They all have wagons

Mike

Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Hyundai Elantra Touring is as close as you'll probably get to a reasonably priced modern wagon..

2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLS 4dr Hatchback specs, features | HYUNDAI Specs

Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,168 times
I am trying to convince the Fiancee that a CTS-V wagon is badass and should be my next purchase... meeting resistance due to it being a wagon tho. lol

Had a hard enough time convincing her that Cadillac's aren't just for old people, a test drive in a 2012 CTS-V sedan finally drove that point home.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,927 times
The VW wagons are still around, aren't they?
I hope so...
they BETTER BE.

Jetta sportwagon and whatnot.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:05 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
I'm so sad ...there are no more quality wagons being made anymore. I really don't know what I am to do :0 Anyone else bemoaning the fall of the wagon?

Just think about it...

1. Volvo has pulled the V50...now they are selling soccer mom vanilla crossovers.

2. The Saab 9-3 SportCombi was my dream car, but Saab is now bankrupt, so that's not going to happen.

3. BMW and Mercedes Wagons are just overpriced.

4. I can't bring myself to ever buy a VW jetta sportwagon or Audi because of supposed quality issues, although it is an option.

5. Subaru has killed the outback by turning it into some abomination of a crossover.

6. The Dodge magnum sunk big time. What ever happened?

There are probably more examples, but I can't think of them

There are no more real wagons
I share your pain. The BMW, Cadillac, and Mercedes wagons are well beyond reach, Ford didn't bring the Focus or Fiesta wagons to the USA (same with Chevrolet Cruze), but it's not all gloom. There's still the Hyundai Elantra wagon.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
IMHO, wagons are still around. It's just that some manufacturers call them 'crossovers' now to keep away from whatever stigma that may still be associated to the term. But really, if you compare a Ford LTD Country Squire wagon to a Ford FLEX, my bet is that the dimensions and proportions would be amazingly similar. So, stretching the definition a bit, you come up with almost every manufacturer having some sort of wagon.

GM: Caddy CTS wagon or SRX
Ford: Flex
Dodge: Journey
Toyota: Venza
Honda: Crosstour (*shudder*)
Acura: TSX wagon
Subaru: Outback, Forester, Tribeca
Any European manufacturer: They all have wagons

Mike
Problem is, the cross-overs are very tall in design, and not really low and car-like, such as an old-fashioned wagon was (and these are still sold by all companies in Europe ). I would only consider the Cadillac, Acura, Subaru Outback, and BMW/Mercedes/VW/Audi from your list to be real wagons.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 AM

202 posts, read 864,120 times
I too wish there were more wagons, not puny little hatchbacks, but genuine full size wagons based off full size sedans. I know there's a few but only the CTS wagon interests me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive