Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 08:46 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,432 times

Advertisements

I thought you could get the FJC w/ 2WD, which should save on initial cost, maintenance, and mpg.

Ditto comments about the FJC visibility, that is the reason I passed on it. They are also having problems with the body ripping in the engine compartment (thanks to a flexy frame); very early models had rear ring gear failures; and some owners who use 4WD find they cannot get back to 4Hi so Toyota installs a new transfer case at no charge.

FJC has no resemblance to or heritage from the Land Cruisers, sorry - other than playing off the FJ40 styling. It's built on the Prado architecture, which is also the foundation of the 4Runner. The real Land Cruisers are built on a single-purpose chassis which is not shared with other vehicles, and they are built so much better than this thing.

I don't get the Ridgeline, but whatever. It's definitely not a truck, which I suppose is some of its charm. I guess if you have to carry - not haul - awkward, wet, or dirty things, it's useful.

And not that it means anything, but these two are easily in the top 5 for the goofiest looking vehicles on the road today. In a few years they'll be the AMC Pacer of this Decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 09:20 AM

340 posts, read 1,445,678 times
Default Apples and Oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I think we have the next vehicle narrowed down to these 2:

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Honda Ridgeline

We've never owned a Toyota, but we do have a Honda Pilot and love it. The Ridgeline seems to have everything we'd want and more, but at $30k+, it's a little pricey for what we'd like to spend (though it's in our range).

The FJ Cruiser looks attractive due to it's design and off-road abilities (though we'll rarely use them). The lower price is attractive too.

We don't do a lot of hauling, though a small boat may happen down the road. We will be using the vehicle for transporting large dogs (2) and material from Lowes/Home Depot, but otherwise it will serve as a day-to-day commute vehicle (gas mileage not too important - commute is short).

Does anyone have any experience with either? Do you prefer one over the other?
I think you're comparing a truck to a SUV.As far as Toyota vs Honda ,did you consider a Tacoma or Tundra(both under 30k well equipped) to the Ridgeline.I don't know how much "stuff" you can haul from Home Depot(10 ft 2x6s)in the back of a FJ Cruiser.Remember also the shorter the wheelbase = less comfortable long distance drives.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:03 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,298 times
I drove 3 FJ's in various conditions and was stunned that Toyota would actually let this thing hit the roads with those blind spots.I will second the blind spot issues at least from the point of view from people that actually wheel the truck. And that is the difference the FJ is a truck and the ridge is a car with an open bed.

I felt as well after driving it on and off road that it does have a few awkward look sees. And unlike off road where people will spot you - on the real road I don't think it your best bet in that respect. I am all about safety first. The FJ is however is an awesome vehicle - jeeps are junk.

I do think perhaps riggie might be better - Hondas are very good...

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 09-16-2007 at 05:19 PM..

Old 09-16-2007, 05:14 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,298 times
"very early models had rear ring gear failures; and some owners who use 4WD find they cannot get back to 4Hi so Toyota installs a new transfer case at no charge."

Because a lot of people feel the need to engage 4WD on pavement a big no no...

Old 09-17-2007, 05:15 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
"very early models had rear ring gear failures; and some owners who use 4WD find they cannot get back to 4Hi so Toyota installs a new transfer case at no charge."

Because a lot of people feel the need to engage 4WD on pavement a big no no...
Actually, these are people who actually go offroad, and are trying to come out of 4Lo on a trail...........

Old 09-17-2007, 03:22 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,907 times
I think that you'll find the Ridgeline easier to live with. The FJ is a neat vehicle that people seem to love or hate when they see it. Obviously you like it, but I believe that the luster will wear off fairly quickly. The FJ isn't nearly as functional, spacious or refined as the Ridgeline.

Drive both, but make sure that you spend adequate time behind the wheel before making a decision. I suspect the Ridgeline will stand out if you spend most of your time on pavement.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:18 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,452,075 times
Thanks everyone for the further ideas and feedback .

Whichever one we end up with will be used 90% of the time for regular on-pavement driving (commuting, etc.). We live in a city/dense suburban area with occassional trips to the country (some family members live out that way on country dirt roads).

For capacity, I think either one will suit - right now the Honda Pilot suits nearly all of our capacity needs (the trips to Lowes, the dogs, etc.). On the rare occassion we need something bigger or need an open bed, I'm sure we can figure something out (if we end up with the FJ, that is).

I am comparing a truck to an SUV, Turnerfamily, you're right......that's actually part of why I'm having a hard time deciding which is a better fit. As for the Tacoma, my husband is actually driving a mini-pickup right now as his "in-between" vehicle and absolutely detests it, so I think the Tacoma would be out. The Tundra, which I like, he does not - he's really not a pick-up guy, hence the attraction to the Ridgeline which is more like an SUV with an open bed . He did love his Jeep, aside from the reliability issues, so he's attracted to the FJ for it's "Jeep-ness" .

I was trying to figure out that very thing about the FJ - the 2-wheel drive option tee-tee mentions and what other types of four-wheel options are offered (I've looked it up on Edmunds.com and other sites, but frankly I don't know a whole lot about four-wheel definitions and what might be a "special" factory order). My Pilot is AWD with a Low Lock option (a button you can engage). Living in Florida, it's good to at least have some sort of four-wheel capability - just today we had horrendous rain and some people got stuck in their cars when the roads flooded - it's the subtropics, it's good to be prepared .

Also - I know there was some talk when the FJ first came out about premium fuel. It was supposed to no longer be where you HAD to use premium fuel, but that it would only be RECOMMENDED to use.....does anyone know the latest on that issue with the FJ?

I'd love to hear more ideas, test-drive opinions, owner opinions, etc.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:27 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,452,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post

And not that it means anything, but these two are easily in the top 5 for the goofiest looking vehicles on the road today. In a few years they'll be the AMC Pacer of this Decade.
Ha Ha! Oh tee-tee, they're not THAT bad ! They're not like the Pontiac Aztec......now there's an ugly vehicle .

I think the Ridgeline has a modern, functional look; it's not too agressive-looking, but it has a solid look to it; it's not too flashy.

The FJ looks a lot like a toy; might be a bit too flashy (though we'd be choosing a color - black - that should lessen that some).

But again, we're much more interested in function over form - we have to live with the function - everyone in traffic has to look at it and deal with the form .

Old 09-18-2007, 07:32 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,604 times
In LI Newsday a popular mechanic has a column.In his column he has said Hondas and Hyundais have bad automatic transmissions.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:57 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Go with the FJ, the Ridgeline is about as girly as a truck can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive