Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:07 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
It's a radar detector, not a ticket preventer. The driver must learn how to interpret what the detector displays. Failure to do so = eventual ticket.

I have a Passport 9500, which is the only other detector consistently compared favorably to the V1. Never had a speeding ticket when using it, and I know for a fact without it I would have on several occasions. But had I not been able to buy the 9500 at half retail price, I would have a V1.
Very true. A radar detector is one tool people can use to lower their chances of getting a ticket. But I think it can actually increase a user's chance of getting a ticket if he abandons the other methods - such as observing the behavior of other drivers ahead - that can be used, and relies solely on the radar detector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 08:18 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The fact that you've gotten several tickets while using a detector gives a decent idea of how useful they are, IMO.
That's like saying shovels are useless tools because someone leans on it instead of digging with it. It's not the tool's fault if the tool on the other end doesn't know how to use it.

Anyway I've borrowed a V1 and been on a ride-along with someone who has one. My major issue with it is the astounding number of false hits. Just about every time I or we rolled past someone with a cheap Whistler or other Radio Shack RD special, the leaky POS would set off the V1. Eventually I turned it off just so it would shut the hell up. Now, this was about 10 years ago and if they've improved the hardware since then to deal with this problem I'd consider one. Otherwise it's a 9500 for me should I decide to get a detector any time soon.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's like saying shovels are useless tools because someone leans on it instead of digging with it. It's not the tool's fault if the tool on the other end doesn't know how to use it.

Anyway I've borrowed a V1 and been on a ride-along with someone who has one. My major issue with it is the astounding number of false hits. Just about every time I or we rolled past someone with a cheap Whistler or other Radio Shack RD special, the leaky POS would set off the V1. Eventually I turned it off just so it would shut the hell up. Now, this was about 10 years ago and if they've improved the hardware since then to deal with this problem I'd consider one. Otherwise it's a 9500 for me should I decide to get a detector any time soon.
The false alarms were a big problem for me too. For me, they rendered the detector virtually useless, because so much interpretation was required. For me, it was easier to just deal with an occasional ticket than go through that every time I drove.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:00 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
There are a couple of different modes you can set it at to cut down on falses. If you leave it on default full yappy little dog alert mode it will annoy the hell out of you. Mostly the other modes either cut down or ignore X-band entirely and maybe cut down on K a bit - (I think, can't remember) The troopers here either use Ka or K and laser occasionally and I have mine adjusted so that even a drive throuh a dense area isn't too annoying, but I admit I don't have it in my windshield EVERY time I get in the car, but I never did with any of my detectors.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I always do a lot of reasearch into things before I buy them. For radar detectors, I learend:

1. There are three decent radar detectors. The rest barely work and are essentially useless. V1, 9500 and wone that costs about $4000 and in built into the car (and includes a laser jammer). I tried one of the others, it was uselss.

2. The V1 is the most affordable and is at least equal to the other two.

3. Only the V1 has side detection (which is occaiasionally useful). Maybe it is side identification. I think the V1 also has the greatest range. It does nto have the GPS system that the Passport 9500 has. Friends with the Passport generally do not use the GPS system, because they never bother to program it. The primary advantage of the GPS system is that it learns to ignore false alarms so you do nto have to. (With V1 YOU learn where the fals alarm radar sources are and turn it off or ignore it.) GPS can also learn where speed traps are. I donto think that is useful. Our local speed traps move around.

4. No radar detector is 100% protection. Mine has samed me from tickets dozens of times, however I have been nailed with it on both with instant on and laser. UNless they shoot a car ahead of you, it cannot pick up the speed gun. Nothing will detect a speed gun that is turned off.

5. Many police officers use old fashion methods and do not use radar at all. I cam told the California highway patrol genereally does not use radar at all.

6. If you live in a major metropolitan area, no detector is useful. There is simply too much radar and laser flying around.

7. You still need to continue to use common sense. Drive 25 in a 25. Pay attention. Try to drive slower than at least one car on the highway. Let the kids get the tickets.

8. It is useful even if you are not speeding. Being alerted to the presence of a patrollman can remind you that you need to buckle up, turn on your lights, drive only in one lane, etc.

9. Sometimes a radar detector can be used to locate secret government installations. Mine has done so twice. (There was a location that was emitting insanely large radar signals. I eventaully found out that it is a semi-secret govt installation. (the cogernment considers it secret, but lots of people know about it).

Old 04-15-2012, 07:48 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
I have owned them for years... Laser hit wont give you time to even touch the brake pedal but oh well.....it happens. Great customer service and they will update your detector for a few bucks if the technology changes which is very cool

Old 04-15-2012, 01:05 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
The perfect radar detector would be a combo of the Passport 9500 and the V1. We have both....only downfall to the V1 is the size of the thing! But it performs better than any we have ever had...and yes, multiple settings to turn off the annoying false alarms. One can not let it become a sense of false security for you tho! Still...would not drive without it.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Yesterday, I was driving next to a guy with a 9500. I picked up a radar signal and slowed down, he raced ahead. Maybe five minutes later he suddenly slowed down (possibly less than 5, I was not timing it). A few minutes later we saw the patrolman.

Apparently the V1 has much better range, however the 9500 still picked up the radar in plenty of time to give him warning.

Laser is instant and you cannot slow down in time once you get hit. However the same is true for instant on radar. I have heard that if your reflexes are incredible and you jam the brake the instant the detector goes off, you can get a reduced speed reading from IO radar, but I am not sure that is true. That is of course assuming that it is you that gets hit when your detector goes off, not someone in front of you. If someone in front of you gets hit, you have plenty ot time to slow down.

That is why you make sure there is always someone going a little faster than you ahead of you. That way when they hit the guy ahead, your detector will pick up the laser or IO radar and let you know. I rarely cruise any faster than 85 so I can almost always find someone going faster to follow. In a rare burst of speed situation where you are gong faster than anyone else, or on a basically empty road, you just have to take your chances and hope there is someone ahead you cannot see, or just drive at a reasonable speed and be late, bored or both.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:20 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have heard that if your reflexes are incredible and you jam the brake the instant the detector goes off, you can get a reduced speed reading from IO radar, but I am not sure that is true.
I don't see how that is possible. The radar waves move as fast as light. Your speed is already registered on his gun by the time your body has reacted.

FWIW, I think cops will react more negatively to a car slamming on its brakes rather then coasting or slowing down in a slower safer manner - even if there is no other traffic around. You just look guilty otherwise as well as the fact most of them hate it when people use radar detectors.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yesterday, I was driving next to a guy with a 9500. I picked up a radar signal and slowed down, he raced ahead. Maybe five minutes later he suddenly slowed down (possibly less than 5, I was not timing it). A few minutes later we saw the patrolman.

Apparently the V1 has much better range, however the 9500 still picked up the radar in plenty of time to give him warning.

Laser is instant and you cannot slow down in time once you get hit. However the same is true for instant on radar. I have heard that if your reflexes are incredible and you jam the brake the instant the detector goes off, you can get a reduced speed reading from IO radar, but I am not sure that is true. That is of course assuming that it is you that gets hit when your detector goes off, not someone in front of you. If someone in front of you gets hit, you have plenty ot time to slow down.

That is why you make sure there is always someone going a little faster than you ahead of you. That way when they hit the guy ahead, your detector will pick up the laser or IO radar and let you know. I rarely cruise any faster than 85 so I can almost always find someone going faster to follow. In a rare burst of speed situation where you are gong faster than anyone else, or on a basically empty road, you just have to take your chances and hope there is someone ahead you cannot see, or just drive at a reasonable speed and be late, bored or both.
How fast were you going? The difference in range between the V1 and a POS is less than two miles, That number shrinks to nearly nothing when compared to the 9500. Neither have any useful reception beyond ~5 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive