Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I drove the Mustang GT, not the Vette.
Get a used Corvette, that's what I did. Unless you're looking at the BASE 1LT trim (which is an excellent bargain), Corvette's are going to get VERY pricey VERY quickly. You'll be at $60K before you blink.

A very nice, preowned 'Vette coupe will run you between $28K-$35K depending on year/mileage/etc. My BEST advice is to get an '08+ because of the LS3 engine and upgraded interior bits. The LS3 produces 430 hp without the dual-mode exhaust and 436 hp WITH the dual-mode (I'd opt for dual mode simply for the wonderful SOUND). The '05 Corvette has a 4 speed auto while all others have the 6 speed, opt for the 6 speed...trust me unless you're looking at manual which is my personal preference. The '05-'07 Corvette makes 400 hp which is plenty to get you in trouble but that 436 hp in my '08 really does make a difference from a dead standstill to 60 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:50 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Get a used Corvette, that's what I did. Unless you're looking at the BASE 1LT trim (which is an excellent bargain), Corvette's are going to get VERY pricey VERY quickly. You'll be at $60K before you blink.

A very nice, preowned 'Vette coupe will run you between $28K-$35K depending on year/mileage/etc. My BEST advice is to get an '08+ because of the LS3 engine and upgraded interior bits. The LS3 produces 430 hp without the dual-mode exhaust and 436 hp WITH the dual-mode (I'd opt for dual mode simply for the wonderful SOUND). The '05 Corvette has a 4 speed auto while all others have the 6 speed, opt for the 6 speed...trust me unless you're looking at manual which is my personal preference. The '05-'07 Corvette makes 400 hp which is plenty to get you in trouble but that 436 hp in my '08 really does make a difference from a dead standstill to 60 mph.
Agree. I only want the base 1LT. Don't care about any upgrades. I actually plan to wait until they come up with the C7, then I can go in for a low ball offer for the base 1LT. :-)

Old 04-16-2012, 09:52 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
What are you looking for in term of reliability? How many years of ownership and mileage are you considering on your part?

The drivetrain should last longer than electronic controls or sensors on a modern vehicle so long as you maintain it properly. Of course, as Vmaxnc wrote, do not abuse your vehicle either. It is made to go fast but some owners are not in it for the long term and so mistreat the car.

No reason you should not be able to enjoy the car for at least 15 years or 200,000miles. I am shooting for 20 years on mine and I know it will do it unless stolen or wrecked. The Corvette or Mustang are in my opinion more reliable than my performance car.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-16-2012 at 10:02 AM..

Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Ford has stepped up it's issues with quality thier cars ALL American car makers had to or die. I've never had a problem with a Mustang no matter what engine it came with. Just because the OP has had problems with it doesn't came it a bad car.

I'd choose the Mustang it's more of an everyday driver plus you need to think about things like insurance & getting it repair bills, etc

Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
What are you looking for in term of reliability? How many years of ownership and mileage are you considering on your part?

The drivetrain should last longer than electronic controls or sensors on a modern vehicle so long as you maintain it properly. Of course, as Vmaxnc wrote, do not abuse your vehicle either. It is made to go fast but some owners are not in it for the long term and so treat the car.

No reason you should not be able to enjoy the car for at least 15 years or 200,000miles. I am shooting for 20 years on mine and I know it will do it unless stolen or wrecked. The Corvette or Mustang are in my opinion more reliable than my performance car.
10 years at least. I am not a "driver". My 12 year's old Accord only has 80,000 miles. If I do long distance, I can use my Accord.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
The measure of reliability and its expectation changes based on the performance of the car. The more unique, the higher the performance, the lower the general reliability, even on cars that cost $100k+. Basically you cannot look at a Honda Accord type of vehicle and expect the same level of reliability in a car like a Mustang, 370Z or Corvette. Even the last gen NSX had its fair share of issues compared to a vanilla Civic or Accord.

At their performance level though, you would be hard pressed to find more reliable cars then the Corvette and Mustang. Of all cars at the Corvettes performance level, I cannot think of one that I would consider to be more reliable. Same thing with the Mustang, which has continually been one of the more reliable cars in its class. On top of that, you will also be VERY hard pressed to find performance vehicles with more robust aftermarketa and affordable parts and repairs when/if something does go wrong.

In terms of that reliability what you are going to see is very few issues with the powertrains. From the engine to the transmission to the axles, these cars are extremely reliable unless the owner unabashedly abuses them and fails to perform proper maintenance. Where you might start to see some issues is with the electronics as the cars age, but I don't think you will see anything greater then you would with most any other car. For instance, older C5's haven't aged very well in terms of the look of the interior materials (seats faded and cracked, plastic is dulled and flaking, etc.), but they are still mechanically very reliable and everything works.

These cars do tend to get ragged on a bit in things like Consumer Reports and JD Power. On the Consumer Reports end it comes down to the fact that they simply don't like this kind of car. They almost NEVER give performance cars good reviews in terms of reliability. On the JD Power end they are relying on owner surveys and owners of these cars tend to be very critical of them as many times they are a toy purchase. If you look at shop reported issues from Identifix that are published on Edmunds both of these models have very few reported issues over the past decade.

When it comes down to which I would choose, I would have to say for a daily driver I would go with the Mustang GT. It is a little more livable and you aren't giving up much in terms of performance while saving a pile of money.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:46 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
both cars are very reliable.. Go with the one you like better. There is no bad one in the bunch.. I personally know Mustang and Vette owners with 200k+ miles

Old 04-16-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

When it comes down to which I would choose, I would have to say for a daily driver I would go with the Mustang GT. It is a little more livable and you aren't giving up much in terms of performance while saving a pile of money.

Good point. Mustang pretty much feels like an everyday car. After test-drive a Corvette, I may even rent one for a day just to make sure I can tolerate it's low hanging chassis before I spend $50k.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:25 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Dunno...in this thread and, the other thread by the OP, I am on the bench with those that wonder why you are even considering a Mustang or Vette on your short list?

Your posts read like you need 'convincing', and that is not the way to pursue a car brand/model(s), imo.

I like both, but have an '02 Vette; strictly anecdotal, but ours has had 4 non-maintenance repairs in 10 years/50k miles. I would climb into it tomorrow and head for the left coast,
much as we did a year ago.

Would I like it for a daily driver? Probably not, though we did 'live' in it for 2 months last summer, getting in and out a dozen times a day, when stopped, to shot pics.

None of that, or any Mustang testimonials seem to matter; thus, why even have those 2 cars on your list?
(Both however, would be more fun for 'trips' than your Honda, imo, but that's just different tastes.)

If I was shopping for a Daily Driver, that might run nearly problem free, for a 'decade', I am really not sure what brand/model I would narrow it down to...but, it probably would not be either one.
Add in the possible purchase of a 'year from now', and I feel like I/some of us, are writing term papers for the storage room, lol!
GL, mD

Old 04-16-2012, 11:37 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,711,891 times
Corvette sales are waaaaay down, and, at least on the base models, they are being heavily discounted. You can find plenty of decently equipped coupes in the mid $40,000 range.
Are Mustang GT's normally offered at significant discounts? Can't say as I know on that model, but I would guess that they are.
Both are fine performance cars, but the Corvette will have more " cachet", and rightly be viewed as a more expensive, and exclusive car.
As a daily driver, I would have to choose the Mustang GT, but as a second car, driven solely for pleasure, the Corvette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive