Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't believe this. Otherwise taxi drivers would do the same thing. They usually shut their cars off when they are waiting.

Starting an engine is only stressful to the starter motor and a few related parts.
Exactly. Taxi drivers pay for the gas they use. Police officers don't.

If the wear and tear was greater than the cost of gas, UPS wouldn't train their drivers to shut the engine off at every stop.

There's also all the communication and recording equipment that I'm sure they prefer to keep powered up while on duty. It might drain the battery fairly quickly without the engine running. But that could be overcome with a dual battery system, such as RVers and car stereo boom boom fanatics use. They just don't consider it cost-effective. Not yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
This sounds more plausible. How many seconds could be lost needing to start up the car and move?
About 4 seconds. Unless the cop is really bad at finding the keyhole.

Maybe that's it. That could explain why they always kicking down doors.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:16 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
If you look at state laws, there is always gonna be a part that authorizes LEOs to disregard most traffic laws while in the course of their duties. So, it IS completely legal for them to leave their car running unattended, run red lights, speed, fling boogers on other people's windshields and generally make asses of themselves on the road as long as they are "acting in a Law Enforcement capacity".
Responding to an emergency is one thing.

When I'm driving 70 mph on an interstate and I have a cop that casually drives by me at 80 mph, is that an emergency?

Is there a law that allows LEO's to smoke their tires and drive recklessly?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:09 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Because they don't pay for the gas.

Only reason.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:28 AM

10 posts, read 20,184 times
It’s all for emergency response, police keep their vehicles running. It is also found that fire trucks and ambulances turns the engine on . It’s based on both security, public safety concerns, the type of call, the weather, and specific needs and necessities of the moment.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:49 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
I've got a friend who is a police officer. Anyhow, we go to talking about this subject and he says shutting the vehicle off is a PITA due to the time it takes to reboot their system. Also, K9 units keep their vehicles running due to AC/Heat for their animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive