Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times

Advertisements

The funny thing is that I do not really have any problems with air pressure changes in any of our 7 cars. I check the pressure regularly, but unless someone hits a curb or something they almost never need adjustment. I have been driving for over 30 years and never had an problem keeping pressure in a tire unless there was a rim leak. What would I need nitrogen for? Am I just lucky? Do most people have to constantly adjust the air pressure in their tires?

Somone said elsewhere that nitrogen is less likely to penetrate the tire material. Less likely than zero likely? Air does not penertrate the tire material either.

When I first heard about this, I asked a guy from a tire shop about it during a social event. He lauged and said it is just a way to make more money. People fall for good marketing and there are people out there who will claim all kinds of great benefits from it. "they sell it for us"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
lets see, they were in the tires in my sister's new Kia Rio..... and since i know they dont have gimmicks at dealerships, that must be one awesome performance ride she bought

That was a joke right?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,827,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
How would nitrogen seal a leak?

Sometimes salesmen say the wierdest things that make no logical sense at all.

I once looked a a used T-bird Turbo Coupe and the saleman was trying to convince me that it was 6 cylinders. "But there are only four spark plug wires" "I am pretty sure that there are two more the go up the inside of the engine. It is definitley a six"
"Can I have a new salesman please?"

I am going to stick the "nitrogen seals tires" right in the file with the two spark plug wires inside the engine. In fact, I think I will start a new thread and see what other idiot things salesmen have said about cars.
Well, I don't know who claimed this, but it doesn't Seal Leaks. It prevents leaks. This is because the nitrogen molecule is larger than its counterpart - Oxygen. I agree with most posters that I wouldn't pay for it, but it does help to keep the air in your tires longer than just normal compressed air.

Its also important to note that the compressors used to fill normal air into tires are more susceptible to water vapor entering your tire. This can cause larger pressure fluctuations from hot to cold weather, and it can damage or rust the inside of your tire. That is what they say anyway.

I have nitro filled tires, but it came factory. I would never pay extra for it.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Well, I don't know who claimed this, but it doesn't Seal Leaks. It prevents leaks. This is because the nitrogen molecule is larger than its counterpart - Oxygen. .
Then, problem solved. Air is 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen. When all the oxygen leaks out, your tires are 80% full, and it's all nitrogen. Reinflate them with air, and now they are 96% nitrogen and 4% oxygen. Overinflate a couple of extra ppsi, and when the remaining oxygen leaks out, you're good to go, correct inflation, all nitrogen.

The Chinese could even make a special valve for a few cents, that would release only the oxygen molecules. Fill you tires with atmospheric air, let them sit overnight to purge the oxygen through the release valve, and fill them again. Presto.

Actually, a special valve would be necessary, because the diameters of the respective molecules is N = 3.16 and O = 2.96 Angstroms. So, a natural tire leak would be affected by the size difference only if your tire leak hole was of a size that falls between the range of 3.16 and 2.96 angstroms. If the leak is smaller than that, nothing gets out. If it's larger than that, everything gets out, even the nitrogen.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-20-2012 at 09:35 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 09:35 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,213,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Then, problem solved. Air is 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen. When all the oxygen leaks out, your tires are 80% full, and it's all nitrogen. Reinflate them with air, and now they are 96% nitrogen and 4% oxygen. Overinflate a couple of extra ppsi, and when the remaining oxygen leaks out, you're good to go, correct inflation, all nitrogen.

The Chinese could even make a special valve for a few cents, that would release only the oxygen molecules. Fill you tires with atmospheric air, let them sit overnight to purge the oxygen through the release valve, and fill them again. Presto.

Actually, a special valve would be necessary, because the diameters of the respective molecules is N = 3.16 and O = 2.96 Angstroms. So, a natural tire leak would be affected by the size difference only if your tire leak hole was of a size that falls between the range of 3.16 and 2.96 angstroms. If the leak is smaller than that, nothing gets out. If it's larger than that, everything gets out, even the nitrogen.
There are a few other gases in 'air' but that's an excellent explanation.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:52 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,246 times
I passed on the nitrogen for my tires, but I did buy some di-hydrogen monoxide to mix 50-50 with my coolant. At $200 per gallon, it's cheap insurance to get the dealer's special di-hydrogen monoxide.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I passed on the nitrogen for my tires, but I did buy some di-hydrogen monoxide to mix 50-50 with my coolant. At $200 per gallon, it's cheap insurance to get the dealer's special di-hydrogen monoxide.
Be careful. That stuff is toxic. A lady in California died a few years ago when she got too much of it in her system.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,269 times
I've heard that in places like Alaska, where the tires are exposed to extreme cold, nitrogen tires have some benefit of not losing air pressure in the tire. But so long as you check your tire's pressure weekly, it's really not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive