Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
LOL Knowing how to change the oil in your car has nothing to do with your ability to drive a car nor does having a sense of pride make you a better driver either. LOL

Neither does passing a 30 mins test just because you pass it doesn't mean you know how to drive. I still think those of us who can do these things understand that cars are not toys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Neither does passing a 30 mins test just because you pass it doesn't mean you know how to drive. I still think those of us who can do these things understand that cars are not toys.

What?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
This thread is awesome.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
I think that first generation American's should learn how to properly drive in the USA. Sure, they know how to drive from their native country, but it's vastly different in the USA.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:06 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Being able to get a license should be very hard.Only those who show they have the ability to do it well should be allowed to drive. The others can ride the bus, walk, get a bike, call a taxi whatever BUT they will not drive. Its just too dangerous. Progress goes hand in hand with mass transit so let these folks support it cause they need it..

Old 09-28-2012, 10:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I see no point in making it hard. People that drive stupid do it not because they do not know the rules or not know how to drive, they do it because they do not care. Hardly makes sense to punish those that do care for the misdeeds of the few (who would probably drive without a license anyway).

I would like to make it hard for someone to get their license again after they lost it the first time due to poor driving.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:35 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Before i get on subject; i think people need to learn how to change a tire. I think even if tbey dont know or want to change the battery they need to KNOW WHERE IT IS. Because its not always under the hood. I wont start ranting about why some of these peopl are lazy.

Now to the point. I would like german license requiments, not the fees, penalties etc. They changed it here requiring more hours of practice. I also believe in using retired ups stepvans for the driving portion. They are manually shifted and steered. And large. They are simple, once you prove your hours behind the wheel of that then you can have your license.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:06 PM

458 posts, read 1,248,510 times
Quote:
Most of us here took drivers Ed in school at some point. After watching a teenager a few years ago tying to figure out how to pump gas into his, $45,000 SUV he got for his 16th birthday. I would like to see the state make some changes when you get your first drivers license. I believe they should teach 3 things before your able to get your license.

1. Should be able to change a tire.
  2. Should know how to change your oil./ Be able to check your fluids windshield, coolant,etc.
  3. Be able to change your battery out.

I would think that perhaps this would show those getting their license that there are responsibilities. Driving/ owning a car. This should for male AND female students.

Any opinions on this?
First of all, cool story bro. How did you know his SUV was 45k? How do you know it was his? Maybe it was his parents or relative's and he was driving it for the first time and being nice and filling up the tank for them. And if you've never taken the gas cap off the vehicle you're driving for the first time you may appear confused for a minute. But nah you assumed he was a spoiled kid who got that for his birthday

Anyways, none of those 3 things has anything to do with driving competency which is what a license is supposed to be evidence of. So no I don't think any of those things should be a requirement for a driver's license.

And FWIW I didn't know how to do any of those things for maybe 8 years after I got my license when I figured I learn a few things about cars. I never had a problem not knowing those things and I would be fine now even if I didn't know those things. Changing a tire is probably the most useful thing to know on that list. The other two are absolutely not necessities, though changing the battery is easy. Changing your own oil is absolutely not something I think everyone needs to know.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:17 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
Hi all--

I'm all for responsible motoring, but not some of the truly asinine laws that states have put into place in an attempt to reduce accidents. I'm all for making sure that every new driver knows how to do basic maintenance, such as change oil, check fluids, and change tires.

Unfortunately, the current plethora of driving laws - primarily aimed at restricting the privilege of new drivers, via limiting the hours that a 16 year old can drive, or limiting the number of passengers does nothing to improve driver's ed. Because let's face it, that 16 year old is going to understeer into a tree regardless of what time of day it is.

An appalling number of teens and early 20's friends I know are not driving - and all for the wrong reasons. Because insurance is too expensive, because the used car market is rubbish, etc. Most of them are decent with their hands and could probably know their way around a car with a little education.

A little education requirement could get some of the truly worst drivers off the road, I think.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:

1. Should be able to change a tire.
  2. Should know how to change your oil./ Be able to check your fluids windshield, coolant,etc.
  3. Be able to change your battery out.

I would think that perhaps this would show those getting their license that there are responsibilities. Driving/ owning a car. This should for male AND female students.

Any opinions on this?
What has that got to do with driving a car safely and properly and responsibly? My mother drove a car from 1922 until 2000. I bet she could do all those things when she started driving, since she had to hand crank a car then to start it, but it is kind of unrealistic to expect her to do them when she was 90.

Nowadays, cars come with run-flat tires, and are not even equipped with s spare, so what is the use of knowing how to change one? I've been driving for almost 60 years and never changed a battery once. I just get a jump, and drive to a shop where they recycle my old one and sell me a new one. Does that make me an incompetent or irresponsible driver?

Last edited by jtur88; 09-29-2012 at 07:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive