Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 AM
rfp

333 posts, read 688,433 times

Advertisements

It's still unclear to me if the light is a "Service Engine Soon" light which is just a glorified mileage counter with bells and whistles to notify the owner that an oil change is due, or an actual "Malfunction Indicator Lamp" which tells of an emissions problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 PM

609 posts, read 2,239,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
I've never gotten a SES (check engine light) in my Tacoma but it does not run well on Shell gas. I'm typically down close to 10% in mileage and the truck just runs poorly. We had the same issue with a 2000 Celica GTS on Shell premium. It never ran well on the stuff. I never put any time into figuring out why. I just stopped using Shell and the problem was gone.

Surprised to hear that, I have the exact opposite story. My Honda runs much better with Shell gas than any other. Even my mechanic recommended the gas to me. Considering the price difference between BJ's gas and Shell, I consider it an indulgence.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:37 AM

774 posts, read 2,595,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
Surprised to hear that, I have the exact opposite story. My Honda runs much better with Shell gas than any other. Even my mechanic recommended the gas to me. Considering the price difference between BJ's gas and Shell, I consider it an indulgence.

I never found an explanation for it either. I wanted to use Shell as we had a gas card with a pretty good savings deal at the time so...

At first I thought it was just the stations around here that I was having a problem with but I filled up out of state several times with the same results. Poor mileage and sluggish performance. I can't explain it but i can still repeat it even today. There's just something in the blend that my Toyota's don't like.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:42 PM

491 posts, read 1,646,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
I never found an explanation for it either. I wanted to use Shell as we had a gas card with a pretty good savings deal at the time so...

At first I thought it was just the stations around here that I was having a problem with but I filled up out of state several times with the same results. Poor mileage and sluggish performance. I can't explain it but i can still repeat it even today. There's just something in the blend that my Toyota's don't like.
I can't explain it either but the article Greg42 sited What is BP Invigorate? - Tampa Bay sports car | Examiner.com
might explain it.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 798 times
That's very interesting. I drive a 2001 Lincoln LS, and I have for the past 5 years. Car has usually run pretty great. It also says to use only 91+ octane gas, but I didn't know this for the first few times I filled up. I ended up trying all of the different gas octanes and found it got the best gas mileage on 87, so stuck with it. HERE is what stuns me, my car will ONLY run well on BP gas, every other type of gas (and yes I've tried them all except never heard of spirit before) makes the engine "buck" when I am stopped in drive. So maybe it is an additive making your SES light come on, but it is the only one that makes my car run proper

Old 04-25-2014, 06:33 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,760,945 times
Its pretty simple, you're not using the correct octane and over a period of time you will damage the engine.

Common Since 101 !!!

Old 10-01-2014, 07:27 AM

1 posts, read 701 times
I have a 2005 Mitsubishi Galant that is having the "Service Engine Soon" light each time I fill up with Shell gas the light stays on until i use Mobil or anything other than shell.First time it happened I took the car to Autozone and was told the Egr Valve needs to be replaced did not have money to get it done so I drove the car for a few days when the shell gas ran out used Mobil the light was gone within a day of driving.Just to be sure used shell a second time light came on
until i filled up with Mobil gas again.I am not saying its the gas but something is going on.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:04 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,852,102 times
Just so you are aware, the article posted by Greg is pure BS. The cleaner used in Shell gas that is referred to as Nitrogen is not nitrogen, as in the gas, nitrogen. The additive is an ester called specifically Amine Polyetheramine. You'll find it in most gasolines including Shell, BP, Chevron, Phillips, 76, and many others. It's the generic gas additive of the industry. Shell calls it "nitrogen" as the ester contains ONE molecule of nitrogen. I'd look some where else for an issue. Too bad none of you have an auto parts in your area to get the codes checked. That would certainly tell you what the issue is without bashing a company over something you have no clue about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive