Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 07:45 AM

5 posts, read 8,810 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Can someone explain the process that goes on when you try to get a degree as an automotive mechanic.

Thanks
Button Rubber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:04 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
If you go to school full time, you spend all your time going to school and studying. You are beyond broke because you can't work many hours, not to mention the cost of school and books. No idea what is going on in the world as no time to watch TV.

Then you go to school and learn stuff. Then you graduate and hopefully get a job.

Hint: There may be optional classes you can take. Cars these days can have 3 local area computer networks, up to 80 separate computers, and need software upgrades using computers.

Might want to go to several local auto dealers and talk to the shop managers. Ask what classes they would like to see someone have under their belt. Ask if electronics, computer, microcontroller, and computer network knowledge would be a plus.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:17 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
I don't always want information about the programs at Pima College; but when I do, I ask Jared Loughner.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
when i went there in the late 70s for my degree, the automotive program was a two part class. you had an hour lecture, and an hour lab. in the lab portion you would actually assemble and adjust real systems from real automobiles. take the transmission class for instance. in the lab you would assemble and adjust say a chevy turbo 350 automatic. in my time there they had a Q-see where you watched a tape, and then assembled the parts indicated on the tape. you would build the transmission step by step until such time as you could do the whole rebuild without using the tapes. it would then be put on a dyno to test if your work was done properly. if the trans shifted properly then you got a passing grade on that rebuild. you had to build a certain number of transmissions for each grade you wanted. in my time if you built four, then you got an A. i got a B in that class.

the instructors there all have at least 5 years experience in the field they are teaching, and most have much more than that. most of my instructors had at least 15 years in working shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive