Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:14 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times

Advertisements

Particular interior trim pieces and basic exterior rubber that tends to wear out with UV exposure?

Perhaps even auto glass?

What are the challenges in keeping a substantially older vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 06:42 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
With the exception of my newest car, a 2001 Subaru OBW, everything I have in the fleet is around 20 years old. Several cars are a lot older than that, BMW's, MB's, and AlfaRepairo's ... dating back to the 1970's.

None of my vehicles have presented problems for parts, although some items have been updated and don't fit exactly like the original pieces or are scarce but sources are known and come through with the goods.

Labor, of course, is all my own and has been for over 50 years.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:44 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Never had an issue with parts. If Napa or carquest doesn't have the part or able to order the part, then it is time to go online and search.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:55 PM

202 posts, read 863,916 times
Do you have a particular car in mind?

Most older vehicles will have a handfull of well known suppliers that will have most everything you need, either aftermarket or new old stock. Unless we are talking about a low production vehicle.

I have a number of sources for parts on my 63 Chevy. The only part I had trouble with was a front hub that with some searching ordered from a junkyard out of state. The most unreasonably expensive part is the wraparound windshield. Servicing her is easier than anything I have ever driven, basic handtools are all that's needed most of the time.

I also had an 87 Prelude a while back, also had a number of sources for parts.

When owning an older vehicle the most important part is that you can do the work yourself, otherwise it will get expensive fast.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:58 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
Fixing stuff when it breaks is the major hassle. Parts are less of a hassle. Unless it's a fairly rare model, or an import that's no longer sold here (Daewoo, Renault, Alfa Romeo, Saab, etc.), parts usually won't be an issue.

Interior parts, door gaskets, windows, and the like are usually plentiful at salvage yards--if you actually need them. Driving older cars, you let a lot of stuff go anyway, if it doesn't affect operation or safety. Things like a worn door gasket that let in a little wind noise, a non-functional power lock, or a broken dome light cover don't necessarily need to get fixed. There's no need to spend more than necessary on something that's close to the end of its life anyhow.

Needed replacement items like brake pads, starters, and alternators are easily available at Napa, etc., for a long, long time. The more of a particular model put into service when new, the longer those parts will be available.

Deciding when to say goodbye is another issue. Everybody loves the idea of a $2,000 car that lasts 75,000 more miles under your care, but that won't be every car--far from it. Most of the time, it's a given that if the engine fails mechanically and can't be repaired cheaply, or if the automatic transmission dies, that's a good time to have the bone yard come take it away.

But sometimes, it's a preponderance of smaller items coming together at the same time. Say you need new shocks, your ball joints are rattling, and it's harrowing to drive more than 55 MPH. It's already pretty rough because you haven't spent the time or money to fix the suspension. Then the radiator springs a leak, rendering the car 100% useless.

Now, a radiator is easy to replace, and a brand new one generally costs no more than $250 (a used one much less). But even after the radiator is replaced, the car still needs other repairs that are beyond the scope of most DIYer's skill/experience, and would be expensive to have done.

So maybe it could be repaired, but it's not worth it to you. That might just be a good time to either junk it, or let someone who can repair it buy it for "next to nothing," if someone actually wants it. On the other hand, it might be worth it after all. If you like the car, and the engine/transmission are good, and it's in reasonable cosmetic condition, then spending the time or money to repair everything likely puts you in a better position than buying an unknown used car to replace it.

It all depends...

Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Particular interior trim pieces and basic exterior rubber that tends to wear out with UV exposure?

Perhaps even auto glass?

What are the challenges in keeping a substantially older vehicle?
1962 Chevy, 1993 GMC.

No problems.

steelerubber dot com and lmctruck though parts ain't cheap.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:52 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
I own 3 vehicles over 20 yrs in age.

Some parts are still procurable thru chain stores. Summit racing carries some parts.

Parts like glass....mmmm.....guess it depends on if the glass co carries the parts or not. On one of ym cars, there's a few websites that carry parts, some of the parts are expensive and not easy to come by...in the sense that not even the parts stores carry them.

You won't likely find any parts in junkyards for either of my cars...the truck maybe, even they're starting to dry up.

Craigslist and eBay are the other ways I source hard to find parts.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:59 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,310,996 times
Every vehicle I own, which is four, is older than that and the only one I have any issue finding parts for is an old International dump truck. I have driven to south Florida before and have felt that brutal solar radiation at that latitude so I imagine you do have different issues for vehicles to deal with than most who post here.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:40 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Every vehicle I own, which is four, is older than that and the only one I have any issue finding parts for is an old International dump truck. I have driven to south Florida before and have felt that brutal solar radiation at that latitude so I imagine you do have different issues for vehicles to deal with than most who post here.
That "brutal solar radiation" at sea level doesn't hold a candle to the intense UV we experience living in the Rocky Mountains at 6,000' and higher ... my 2nd home in the hills is at 8,500'.

Folk who don't realize the difference in UV exposure and head to outdoor activity that normally don't use sunblocker at sea level learn real quickly how much stronger UV is at altitude.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
I have a 1987 Civic Si with a odometer reading over 258,000 miles. Finally had to replace the alternator a few weeks ago, but NAPA had one. As for filters and such, NAPA and others have them in town. When the CV boots break, I just pull the half-shaft out, and swap it with a rebuilt one at NAPA. Last summer I replaced the fuel injectors with a set that I bought online from some store in the lower-48 States (about $20.00 each, if I well remember). Had to return the cores, however.

The headlights use 9000H (?) halogen bulbs I can find at any of the stores in town. I also had the windshield replaced about six years ago. This cost me around $250.00 installed, and the shop ordered it a few days prior. One thing I haven't checked on is the headlight covers (made of glass), but I imagine that I should be able to find them online. If anything is that parts for it are cheaper now than when it was new. For example, the alternator I bought was rebuilt, but I paid $89.00 for it. I have seen it online for around $60.00, but when new it cost way over $500.00 new, and perhaps half that rebuilt. This car is 25 years old, and going strong.

I do agree with others that the hassle is not finding parts for it, but doing the work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive