U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:03 AM

7,780 posts, read 20,895,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
No you won't, letting off the gas allows for engine braking, if the converter "broke"connection" as you suggest, there would be no engine braking.

there is no engine braking on automatics.. You are mistaken. Unless you manually downshift or set the tow button on pick ups. Coasting in gear = neutral in automatics.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 06:05 AM

7,780 posts, read 20,895,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I think this is correct but would I save gas by doing this?
no you would not save any gas.. Honest.. You will save more by driving slower

Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 AM

38,704 posts, read 98,823,009 times
A standard torque-converter-based automatic transmission will "coast" as if in neutral anyway unless you manually put it in a lower gear than "D".

Old 04-24-2012, 09:04 AM

9,918 posts, read 23,549,160 times
Yes, in fact the engine braking built into the Nissan CVT in the Altima I was driving over the weekend was a bit disconcerting at times. I think it's a little too aggressive. Hills where I would never bother with that, in an auto or in my own stick shift car, set it off. Not sure why that's really necessary.

Also, why did that thing have a manumatic gate for up/down shifting? Hehehe. I never did try to figure out how many "gears" it would give me that way. (I returned it to Hertz this morning without ever checking that.) I guess it needs something to give it a manual downshift for times equivalent to when you would use it in an auto, but it still seemed a bit odd.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 AM

3,869 posts, read 14,682,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Is it OK to switch between N and D on an automatic transmission doing free-wheeling and etc? Is that going to wear our the transmission?
Don't do it. not all transmissions pump fluid to all of the parts when in "N".

It is illegal to coast down hill in "N" in many states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
there is no engine braking on automatics.. You are mistaken. Unless you manually downshift or set the tow button on pick ups. Coasting in gear = neutral in automatics.
You are mistaken all and every automatics I've driven do . sure if you wish to have the effect continue when slowing down you will have to down shift to keep the rpms up so the toque converter stays locked up.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 AM

8,402 posts, read 23,145,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I put my truck in neutral on a down grade a few weeks ago. The rpm's remained the same as it was in gear. The cluster says I am not burning any fuel thou when turning 2000 on a 80 mph downhill. I have been driving at 55 these days anyway but I hate riding the brakes on a downhill grade.
Why wouldn't the revs drop to idle, as if you weren't moving but in neutral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Then you may want to change your choices for a new vehicle.
No doubt. Why would someone so concerned with MPG even be considering a Vette or a GT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
What does the tow button do?

I thought the same thing about coasting in automatics.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 AM

3,869 posts, read 14,682,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

What does the tow button do?

I thought the same thing about coasting in automatics.
the tow button gives the tranny different shifting points.
It will hold a gear longer when accelerating and down shift more aggressively when decelerating.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 AM

6,991 posts, read 13,783,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
It really won't hurt the transmission. On a modern trans, it won't let you hurt it by shifting manually to the wrong gear, or from neutral to drive (in fact, many cars won't let you go back to drive from neutral at speed). It's not really necessary, but you can do it. Why would you want to?
If that's true, then shifting to neutral would be a very dangerous thing especially on the freeway!!!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:50 AM

5,228 posts, read 14,315,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
If that's true, then shifting to neutral would be a very dangerous thing especially on the freeway!!!
Seen it happen, and yes, it was interesting. Had to slightly hold the brake on to get it to shift back into D.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 AM

556 posts, read 1,166,548 times
This is from Rossler, one of the best Automatic transmission builders in the drag community.

Quote:
3 speed and overdrive transmissions: Caution never shift into neutral position at high speeds. This will cause internal components of the transmission to rotate 2 and ½ times faster than your finish line RPM. (Example, If your car’s finish line RPM is 7,500 RPM’S and the Transmission is shifted to neutral then the internal components will spin at 15,000 RPM’s THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS! The parts are spinning so fast, they can explode, turning your transmission into a shrapnel type bomb possibly causing bodily injury and death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive