U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:33 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,545,990 times

Advertisements

Modern cars may not be the same as my old '78 Celica, but I wore out the neutral safety switch by running the gears manually. The copper contact at the base of the shifter was gone, so I inserted some foil from a gum wrapper in order to start the vehicle. The downside was that the car would now start with the shifter in any position.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 AM

26,699 posts, read 13,584,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
This is from Rossler, one of the best Automatic transmission builders in the drag community.
True, only if you hold down the gas paddle at the same time.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 AM

8,402 posts, read 23,143,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
the tow button gives the tranny different shifting points.
It will hold a gear longer when accelerating and down shift more aggressively when decelerating.
Had I applied my limited knowledge of towing and transmissions I probably could have reached the same conclusions. Thanks for sparing me the effort!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 AM

556 posts, read 1,166,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
True, only if you hold down the gas paddle at the same time.
Not really. If you are at say 6000rpm in the current gear and let off the gas it doesn't instantly drop to idle. The transmission may upshift and drop the RPM's. Point is shifting into N in an automatic while moving is not needed, smart or safe.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Not really. If you are at say 6000rpm in the current gear and let off the gas it doesn't instantly drop to idle. The transmission may upshift and drop the RPM's. Point is shifting into N in an automatic while moving is not needed, smart or safe.
? If I let off the gas AND shift it to N, it will drop the RPM.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
? If I let off the gas AND shift it to N, it will drop the RPM.
There is more to it then that.

The engine is still turning the flexplate which is turning the torque converter which is turning the input shaft and pump.

Engines don't instantly slow down from high rotating speeds.

The wheels are still turning the driveshaft which is still turning the output shaft on the transmission.

You just don't seem to want to listen to anybody in any thread and post asking for advice then don't take it. Why bother?

Old 04-24-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
There is more to it then that.

The engine is still turning the flexplate which is turning the torque converter which is turning the input shaft and pump.

Engines don't instantly slow down from high rotating speeds.

The wheels are still turning the driveshaft which is still turning the output shaft on the transmission.

You just don't seem to want to listen to anybody in any thread and post asking for advice then don't take it. Why bother?
It's not I don't want to listen; it's because I don't understand. Don't be so combative, SK360. I can see you have experience and knowledge and I respect you for that. There's no need to have comments like that though. I am asking those seemingly silly questions to help me to learn from you.

Like I said, I don't understand. If the car is slowing down (lift the foot off the gas pedal), why anything you said here matter? It certainly wouldn't lead to engine or transmission explosion by switching to N.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 AM

13,719 posts, read 29,485,656 times
Quote:
DFCO in modern fuel injected vehicles will cut fuel completely under low load coasting like downhill at highway speeds
Huh?

So you see the tachometer go to zero while coasting?

Not in any of my families cars with automatics - the newest a 2007 Infiniti M35.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:53 AM

I don't understand it fully either but it has to do with the way a standard 4 speed overdrive transmission operates with the planetary drums and such. Will it explode? prob not. Is there a benefit to it? No.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Huh?

So you see the tachometer go to zero while coasting?

Not in any of my families cars with automatics - the newest a 2007 Infiniti M35.
No, not at all. The wheels are still turning which is turning the driveshaft which is turning the transmission which is keeping the motor turning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive