Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most popular luxury brand in your area
Mercedes-Benz 11 13.75%
BMW 25 31.25%
Lexus 23 28.75%
Infiniti 3 3.75%
Acura 2 2.50%
Audi 6 7.50%
Cadillac 7 8.75%
Lincoln 3 3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,230,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well, we could go around and around on that, but I don't think many people consider Acura a luxury brand, nor do they consider Lincoln and even Infiniti to really be one either. The luxury market definition these days is really limited to: Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Lexus and Mercedes. Outside of that the one that comes next closest is Infiniti with Acura and Lincoln being more in the same group as Buick and Volvo.

With that said, I live in South Jersey near Philadelphia and our most common luxury marque is BMW. That is followed up by equal parts Lexus and Audi with Cadillac behind them followed by Mercedes. There may actually be more "Lexi" on the roads then Audi, but they don't really stand out like the others do. I can see 10 ES's a day and not even realize it.
Probably, but below I have a comparison of the entry level vehicles from both Lexus & Audi

Lexus IS

Audi A4

Let people here think which is more 'bland'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Nice pictures, but does entry level really relate to luxury? Lots of people can afford the entry level cars. A C Class Mercedes is an every persons car. So are the Audi and the Lexus above.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
I see a lot of Cadillac and Lincoln, as well as probably Lexus, Audi, and Acura.

As for MB and BMW, it's mostly older cars I see driving around.

"Exotics" (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, etc.) are beyond rare here.

Duluthians rarely drive cars above $50,000 for the following reasons:

1) Most of them don't make much money
2) All cars tend to get dirty and rust around here.
3) I feel that people around here find ostentatious displays of wealth distasteful. I've heard that the wealthy tend to have a exercise a lot of self-restraint in showing their wealth off.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wow, What about Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maybach, Austin Martin, and the Maserati name plates? The fact is that for the most part I see Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, and Mercedes as a starting point to Luxury with specific models in each line really making it into the segment.
The names you listed like RR, Bentley, Maybach, etc. are considered a different category all together, high end/high line luxury. That's at least how the industry defines itself. You are correct though that not every BMW, Audi, etc. is really a "luxury" car. The segment is further broken down more or less along size lines with models like the 3-series, A4 and C-class being considered "entry-level luxury", which are still seen as a step above "near-luxury" models like those from Acura, Lincoln and Buick.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:30 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Probably, but below I have a comparison of the entry level vehicles from both Lexus & Audi

Lexus IS

Audi A4

Is this a trick question?! Because I'd say Lexus is more bland than the Audi.

Quote:
Wow, What about Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maybach, Austin Martin, and the Maserati name plates? The fact is that for the most part I see Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, and Mercedes as a starting point to Luxury with specific models in each line really making it into the segment.
I think what NJGoat was pointing out were mainstream luxury vehicles. Obviously Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, etc are all luxury marques but they're much higher on the totem pole and most "average" luxury car buyers can't afford to even look at them. The way I see it you have those "ultra-exclusive" brands then you have "mainstream luxury" brands then finally "entry-level luxury" brands which is where I'd put Acura, Buick, and Lincoln.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,435,954 times
Lexus is definitely more bland than audi.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:

That's easy, the Lexus.

Here's another comparison for you.

2012 Toyota Camry

2012 Lexus ES

Like I said, I could see 10 ES's a day and not realize...because they all look like Camry's. On the other hand, the Audi front end is very unmistakable.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Nice pictures, but does entry level really relate to luxury? Lots of people can afford the entry level cars. A C Class Mercedes is an every persons car. So are the Audi and the Lexus above.
Alright the Lexus LS (which is now 6yrs old) vs the Audi A8 interior

High end of market

Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
That's easy, the Lexus.

Here's another comparison for you.

2012 Toyota Camry

2012 Lexus ES

Like I said, I could see 10 ES's a day and not realize...because they all look like Camry's. On the other hand, the Audi front end is very unmistakable.
Yeah true, never been a fan of the ES.. But there's a new one, which looks different..

Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah true, never been a fan of the ES.. But there's a new one, which looks different..
The new one is definitely more distinctive and is following the new Lexus corporate styling. Maybe they did it because no one could tell the difference between a Camry and ES unless they were sitting inside it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive