Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 05:25 PM

30 posts, read 57,398 times

Advertisements

I know most of all the PROS as far as buying a convertible What are the CONS of having one?

Can you drive one on the HWY doing 75 with the top down?

Do you feel it's dangerous to have no top and maybe getting hit by something that goes flying?

I appreciate all intelligent answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 05:27 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I had a hard top convertible and two soft top convertibles.

Hard top looks nicer with the top up and kills more of the road noise when you are going fast.

You can go on the high way in a convertible. I would wear sunglasses - the wind can be drying and irritating to the eyes. Um, I have long hair, and that gets whipped around into a tangled frenzy. If you have a wind screen, this may mitigate the effect. If you are a guy or have short hair, who cares?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:37 PM

297 posts, read 740,623 times
I own a hardtop convertible.

This may apply as well to soft top convertibles, but as the mechanics run on electronics, there is a chance that it might fail and not operate. It has happened to me twice in five years of ownership. In that case, you operate it manually.

Hardtop convertibles also take twice as long to retract or close as they require electronic open/closing of trunk lid and folding of roof parts. This takes up to 30 seconds.

Some convertibles don't come equipped with an "anti-roll" bar that is positioned slightly higher than the seat (common in 4-seat convertibles). This is a safety measure in case your car is in a rollover collision.

You can definitely drive 75+ in a convertible. If you couldn't, the speed would be limited once the top goes down.

Be wary of bug splatter inside the car and flash rain showers.

Oh, and with a convertible, if you're worried about wind noise, you can drive with the windows up. Additionally, some convertibles come equipped with wind deflectors which may help some.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:40 PM

wow thank you for all this. I am looking at the VW EOS it also has a sunroof. Yes I am a gal with long hair. lol

Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM

My soft top has the trunk compartment open up, too. It's faster than with my XLRV, but it still has to open and close part of the trunk.
Lots of soft tops are like this - to hide the top and get a sleeker look.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of Buying A Hard Top Convertible What are your Pros N  Cons-mycar.jpg  

Old 04-28-2012, 05:51 PM

Thanks btw that is a very nice car. I am ONLY considering Hard Top. I dont like the look of the soft tops

Do you feel safe in your car when driving on highways?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINTZZ View Post
Thanks btw that is a very nice car. I am ONLY considering Hard Top. I dont like the look of the soft tops

Do you feel safe in your car when driving on highways?
I am with you on the hard tops often looking better.
Unless they have that really visible ugly hinge looking thing.

Yeah...I feel safe.
But all my convertibles have been very large, very heavy cars with big engines.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of Buying A Hard Top Convertible What are your Pros N  Cons-mycar2.jpg  

Old 04-28-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am with you on the hard tops often looking better.
Unless they have that really visible ugly hinge looking thing.

Yeah...I feel safe.
But all my convertibles have been very large, very heavy cars with big engines.
well let me ask you another question since you know your cars here. BTW I enjoy your other posts on this forum very educated.

What do you think of the EOS VW or would you make another suggestion for me? I am single no kids and HATE driving people so I will be for the most part alone. I live in Reno/Tahoe Area with plans on moving to LA Female 47 yres sexy and young lol

Old 04-28-2012, 06:03 PM

There are lots of good smart car people here!

Um, first I need to know your reason for buying a convertible. And then what are your most important features (obviously hard top is one of them - I suggest you be flexible with this, though, as you could miss out on some good cars)? And your budget?

I personally don't look for a convertible. I say, "I want a bad-ass fast car...now which is the bad-ass fast car that I can get that is also a convertible?" If the ZR1 came without a top, that's the pic you would have seen above...lol!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:05 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,921,245 times
I have had convertibles.

One negative that has not been mentioned: the roof of a conventional car provides rigidity. Typically convertibles have more body flex than the same car with a fixed roof (if it exists). Sometimes manufacturers claim they have built in extra rigidity. This adds weight.

The absence of a roll bar (usually) has been mentioned. Depending on how reflective you are, you may feel more vulnerable in a convertible.

I have seen the VW, nice looking car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive