Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:09 AM

243 posts, read 1,206,853 times

Advertisements

I started another thread about this problem.
//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...l#post23550339

But my question is now changing... how long should I wait before asking for a refund or filing a charge back with my credit card company for a repair?

Brought my Jeep in for repair due to a transmission issue to AAMCO. Please no jokes about AAMCO, not the point of the thread. Repair was to take 2-3 business days. It took 8 business days During that time I was calling for updates with the exception or 1 time where I was called. They had a hard time getting parts from Jeep. One time they said it would be ready by 5 pm, came down, they couldnt get the brakes working. Had to come back a few days later when finally done.

I have the Jeep back, works fine, but smelled of cigarettes. 2 days later the problem returns. I call them to notify them about the problem and that I was moving and would need to bring it back a week later. That was not a problem they said since it is under warranty for a year. I then notice my E Brake was not functioning and now my brakes are getting softer. When I brought it back they tell me the parts they replaced already wore out and they would need to order parts again from Jeep. They gave me back my car telling me the parts would be in 2-3 days. That was 10 days ago. I called yesterday and they told me that they had one in the other was expected yesterday and they would call me. Still nothing.

At what point am I debating on asking for a refund. I have been extremely good natured about this. No yelling, etc. I has explained my frustration. Yes they were professional about it and appreciative, but I my car is still waiting for parts.

I am not sure what they can even to to make me trust them again after a complete failure of a repair attempt, long delays with getting parts, and additional items are now broken. One additional thing I found odd is they never game me a written estimate. The estimate did come in so no complaints there, but I thought this was odd.

How much long should I wait? I am thinking in a few days at the 2 week mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Sounds like they have no clue what the trouble is and are hoping you go away. I would go down there and say either fix my car or give me my money back and if they say leave it here, tell them you want a loaner car. If they refuse that, tell them they got 2 days to fix it or you will file a complaint with your credit card, the BBB, and you will take them to court to get your money back if the credit card doesn't refund.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:29 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Sounds like they have no clue what the trouble is and are hoping you go away. I would go down there and say either fix my car or give me my money back and if they say leave it here, tell them you want a loaner car. If they refuse that, tell them they got 2 days to fix it or you will file a complaint with your credit card, the BBB, and you will take them to court to get your money back if the credit card doesn't refund.
Not much to add to this! This is exacty what I'd do.....

Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
I wouldn't wait at all. It sounds like they've had every opportunity to straighten the mess out. I might give them one more shot, but I'd have AAMCO corporate on speed dial, and not hesitate to use it, even from just outside the shop.

I'd crawl up someone's ass for smoking in my vehicle, or for even stinking of cigarettes so badly that they left their stink behind. 100% unacceptable, unprofessional, and intolerable.

On a personal note, I am on a crusade against bad products and service. If I'd don't get everything I pay for, I'm on the phone, writing emails, and I don't stop until I get satisfaction in one form or another. "OK" or "good enough" isn't good enough any more. I've had it with slack service and crappy products.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 AM

Ok, the main # at AAMCO only lets you find your local dealer.
CONTACT US only lets you email them.
I called corporate and was told I need to speak to customer service.
They have a general voice mail box and I had to leave a message.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post

Don't waste your time with the Better FOR Business Bureau, as it has absolutely no punitive or regulatory power.
For reasons that I have never been able to fathom, many folks mistakenly think that the BBB is a government agency with the power to compel businesses to do the right thing.
In reality, it is an members-only organization that businesses voluntarily pay dues to, and it functions more like an "old boys club" than anything else.

If the OP wants to contact an agency that actually has punitive and regulatory authority, he needs to get in touch with the Office of Consumer Affairs, at either the county or state level. This agency, through the Office of The Attorney General, does have the aforementioned powers, and can secure refunds for people victimized by sleazy businesses and can actually shut down offending businesses for repeated infractions.

A few years ago, Smart Money magazine (owned by The Wall Street Journal) published an investigative report detailing the lack of action by the BBB in the vast majority of cases, and they concluded, "Few consumers have actually been helped by the BBB".

Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
What state are you in? That matters because the laws that govern your options and rights are state based as well as any possible complaint channels. For instance, not giving you a signed written estimate in some states is a major no-no, while others are fine with a verbal agreement as long as the shop keeps a record.

At this point, the best you can probably do is call your credit card company and issue a charge-back for the repair work that was done. Before you can take any additional action, most states require that you give the repair facility a chance to "make it right". In this case their horrible customer service aside, they performed a repair that failed, that they are attributing to bad parts that were used. They are covering the repair under warranty. Before pursuing any additional action most states would view this as their attempt to "make it right".

Dealing with this through the credit card company may help get their attention, but also be advised that buried in the AAMCO warranty is a clause that the warranty is null if the original charges are not paid in full. You may inadvertently be voiding your warranty by putting a hold on the charges.

At this point, I would suffer through what they are trying to do to make it right. If they fail to repair the vehicle correctly, THEN contact the credit card company and place a hold on the charges. You should then take the vehicle to another shop and have them take a look at it. As far as contacting AAMCO goes, remember that they are franchises, so perhaps you can chase down the owners information and contact him and/or contact the next closest AAMCO as your warranty will still be in full force there.

Basically, they don't owe you anything for crappy service other then to lose your future business. Your whole case for getting a refund or pursuing damages rests on their inability to make the correct repair and they are given the right under most state laws to attempt to "make it right".

Old 05-02-2012, 11:17 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
Most credit card issuers only do chargebacks on unauthorized purchases, not unsatisfied purchases.

Since chances are you signed something like a credit card slip or estimate, before you try that, find out if the credit card you have has protection against purchases where the merchant won't make you happy.

But before you even do that, try to go through the repair shop and be polite but be persistent.

Also remember that the credit card issuers may issue a chargeback temporarily and during this time they give the merchant time to appeal. And when the merchant turns in the slip of paper you signed, they'll reverse it back on to you. By that point the merchant is red hot pissed off and won't work with you and you have no recourse with the credit card issuer either.

And to answer your main question, I wouldn't wait another minute.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:19 AM

I know the BBB is a waste. The attorney generals office is always a better choice there.

I called them again today and they informed me they "just got the part"
I told the manager I was debating on asking for a refund because I didnt trust them. He was sort of speechless but I didnt expect him to say much. I just said I would be in touch.

I am really torn. I know there is a part of me that want to give them a chance, but there is a majhor part of me that doesnt trust them. Yes they messed up the original repair... along with the delays, additional damage to the ebrake and not the existing brake... I dont feel like wasting time and getting burned twice.

The other side is the 60 day mark is coming up where I cant file a charge back, so I need to make a decision.

Not worried about it being unpaid and no warranty. Unpaid, I will go elsewhere.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Here's the thing though, the way most laws are written you need to give them a chance to fix it and make it right. If you cancel payment via your credit card and then take it somewhere else, they may end up going after you for not paying the bill and they'd probably have a good chance at winning. I think your best bet is to let them make the next set of repairs and if they fail at that or there is something unsatisfactory, you would need to pursue them for damages in court. If you just hold back payment at this point, you could find yourself being sued by them since you didn't pay for work completed and most laws requires you to give them the chance to make it right before pursuing other remedies like cancelling payments or suing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive